Tell me the stories of your worst (speeding) tickets to comfort me | FerrariChat

Tell me the stories of your worst (speeding) tickets to comfort me

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by duxz360, Oct 21, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. duxz360

duxz360 Rookie

Nov 19, 2016
    Sooo tonight was not great... I was just wanting to punch it on a straight road that unfortunately was in a residential area but mostly empty so I pushed my foot down , the limit is 35 and I was clocked by a cop hiding behind a sign post at.. wait for it ... 273 kph or for my American friends just shy of a 170 mp/h.Almost 5x the speed limit. My license was taken on the spot for 6 months and the proposed fine could be enough to pay off half the national debt ... Was lucky that the car was not impounded since it was in a residential. I am lawyering up and planning to contest in court but unfortunately I think that is just gonna make it a bit less devastating. Am pleased to report that the FF is still no slouch!

2. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Ugh…

Mine: Passed a Texas State Trooper in excess of 150mph on the interstate…. Kept going as I thought no way they’d give chase… they did, I stopped.

After yelling at me for half an hour, made me follow him back to police station to look at hamburger photos for another hour.

Judge ordered me to sell the motorcycle, pay a hefty fine, and many hours of Community service…

That was back in the late eighty's.

Good Luck w your pending legal battle!

S

3. Borrow’d Mine

Borrow’d Mine Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2019
    Florida
    170 in a residential, hmmm, you should have gone to jail. That’s a stupid thing to do.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Elsi, FrancisK, Wikdstrate and 18 others like this.
  4. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
    170 in a residential area?

I doubt you'd be impressed by my 10 mph over speeding ticket stories. :)

5. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Lucky not in jail. These stories give exotic drivers a bad name.

Elsi, paulchua, zygomatic and 6 others like this.
  6. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Sorry, but I don't think you will find much "comfort" here. I'm sure many of us have hit those speeds on a clear and limited access highway, but in a residential neighborhood that is just plain reckless.

I don't know where you live, but in Massachusetts your car would have been impounded and you would not have been posting here last night unless the jailer allowed you access to a computer.

Elsi, paulchua, Altoria F and 8 others like this.
  7. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    Of the many, many tickets I’ve received during my youth, one was for street racing - passing the police station in the process...

Il Tifoso, ZF123 and Texas Forever like this.
  8. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    Not sure I can recall a person hitting 170 mph in a residential neighborhood. Not sure a lawyer will help unless you were impaired by a medical prescription. I wish you the best but this is really poor judgement. I can't imagine a judge cutting you a break unless you sell the car before your court date.

paulchua, Wazmo, slingblade and 6 others like this.
  9. AtomicPunk88

AtomicPunk88 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    Brad
    I think the only one I ever got was for about 42 in a 35, and that was because the town moved the 35mph speed limit sign further from town than the last time I'd come in on that road.

The only times I have exceeded 100mph have been on sections of pretty straight and deserted highway. I can't imagine hitting 170mph on any residential roads in my immediate area.

slingblade and alex like this.
  10. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Residential area? No sympathy here, should have gone to jail and car impounded......

375+, paulchua, Dblebill and 8 others like this.
  11. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
  12. centerfireman

centerfireman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 23, 2015
    Roseville, CA
    With that kind of "judgement" you should not own a Ferrari (or perhaps any form of motorized transportation). You are lucky no one got hurt.

paulchua, Il Tifoso, Dblebill and 8 others like this.
  13. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3

May 30, 2006
    Your court case probably won't go well now that you've admitted fault in a public forum. Hope they throw the book at you.

paulchua, Dblebill, Wazmo and 4 others like this.
  14. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    As others have said, that's pretty poor judgement.
    Now I, like many others here, have also had moments of pretty poor judgement. nah, let's put a finer point on it; I've been an ass-hat on occasion, and a dumb-ass too. You were clearly both, here.
    I hope what separates you from me, is that when I talk about stupid moments of the sort you've related above, I tend to express a significant amount of remorse. You won't catch me making the same stupid decision (not a mistake, mind you; this was a decision you made) twice. We're supposed to learn from these moments. If you haven't (as it sounds like you haven't) then you probably should've gone to jail.
    I say all the time: "People don't change until it's too uncomfortable not to". Somebody needs to crank-up the uncomfortable level for you.

I've been 190mph on both a superbike, and 185mph in a car. Both were moments on a deserted highway with nobody in sight for miles. I pass 175 regularly on the racetrack, so I could make the argument that I'm more "acclimated" to the speed than most. Even so; even on rural highways with towns every 10 miles, you'll find me slowing to within 10% of the limit as I enter town.

Trifle with your own life if you will. But don't endanger others' just so you can get your rocks off.

paulchua, Il Tifoso, fogey1 and 13 others like this.
  15. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    We have great race tracks all over the country to prove one’s skill. Ferrari drivers should not be so cheap and take it to the track. The reason I don’t do Ferrari get together organized drives on public roads is because too often there is an idiot in our group doing something dumb. Who wants to be associated with that?

16. ScreaminRevs

ScreaminRevs Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2004
    Chicago
    No crime was committed in the OP's example.

See the Carrera GT last year on the streets of Manhattan where no charges were filed against the guy; and he even ran into another car, so I was surprised from that the lack of prosecution.

Loxo likes this.
  17. Vonbarron

Vonbarron Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2014
    Westside Mofo
    Full Name:
    S B
    In this car (1951 Hudson Pacemaker) it had a big block dual quad 750hp engine, I was on a poker run with a bunch hooligans when we decided to line up off the freeway and drag race the cars, I went up and blasted off down the road and a white car was coming the other way, I ask a buddy sitting next to me “is that a cop?” He said no, punch it. It was a cop and I was doing according to him 120mph, he threw the book at me, screamed for a long time and I received a ticket for negligent 2nd degree. Took it to court to beg for a lesser charge, judge was being ****** to everyone before me so I chickened out and took 2 years probation.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. Vonbarron

Vonbarron Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2014
    Westside Mofo
    Full Name:
    S B
  19. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I would like more information from OP on what is meant “residential area”.

paulchua likes this.
  20. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    No sympathy for the OP. If you want to do 273km/h, there is a place for that, and that place is not where you got your ticket. I'm glad you were fined, but even more glad you didn't kill a child with your stupidity.

Oh, and I'm glad you lawyered up because it will cost you even more money.

paulchua and jc1 like this.
  21. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    Popped going 140MPH in the middle of nowhere in central CA on Highway 5.

Verbal warning and “fix it” ticket for not having a front license plate.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. jc1

jc1 Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2021
    Greenville, SC
    Full Name:
    Joey (2012 458 Spider)
    Did you use your hands or just your mouth? ;)

020147, Dblebill, slingblade and 10 others like this.
  23. duxz360

duxz360 Rookie

Nov 19, 2016
    Good news is that fortunately the "speed measurement device" was not calibrated properly and the officer wasn't wearing his required glasses/contacts which made the speed of my car seem far larger than it actually was.... that combined with the car being a rare and loud sight where I live made him confused and he misjudged the speed :rolleyes: Unlucky. It was a 4 mile mostly flat stretch of a 2 lane road that has buildings ,parks and stuff on both sides so its 50 km/h limit. All is well but I will definitely try to contain myself from now on. The time was 2 am so no kids playing around etc

LVP488 and 71Satisfaction like this.
  24. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    unlucky for everyone else you are not in jail.

To the op, @duxz360 , how old are you? seriously.

170 mph in residential area!? TF you were thinking.

25. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    You shouldn't be comforted, you deserve to be roasted.

To be clear, this site does not endorse or encourage users who brag about excessive speed on public roads. The ONLY reason this thread was not deleted, as most speeding brag threads are, was because the OP also related the burden and penalties likely to arise from his actions as an object lesson of the consequences for irresponsible behavior. But the attitude expressed by the OP, in trying to evade his irresponsibility by using legal fabrications of "misjudging the speed" by the police officer is repugnant to responsible exotic car owners. 5x the speed limit is not explained away by a "misjudgement". We all know what blasting by a reference point at well over 100 MPH or 160 KPH sounds and looks like. Whether it was 5x or 3x or even 2x, on a residential street, it was still irresponsibly fast. Take it to a track or other private road where there are no innocents that might pay the price for a moment of callous disregard for public safety.

375+, paulchua, Il Tifoso and 24 others like this.