Day 2 with my SF90, Engine Control System failure?! | FerrariChat

Day 2 with my SF90, Engine Control System failure?!

Discussion in 'SF90 Stradale' started by Adamtensta, Oct 21, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Adamtensta

Adamtensta Karting

Jan 9, 2019
    Scandinavia
    Full Name:
    Adam Tensta
    I´ve had my car for 2 days and the first thing I saw today when starting it was this error message: "Engine control system failure, Go to dealer". Has anyone else experienced this??
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    in FF/lusso land it means your battery has a bad cell

Jordan68 likes this.
  3. Adamtensta

Adamtensta Karting

Jan 9, 2019
    Scandinavia
    Full Name:
    Adam Tensta
    Which means what?

4. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    None of us can know for 100% sure- but… it likely means you didnt get enough volts into the system when starting the car and that freaked out some computer. Try parking and locking the car (this will get things to reset as much as you can do it without disconnecting the battery which I dont know if thats OK with the SF90) and then put it on the tender, wait for it to charge up and then try restarting in a few hours/ tomorrow…. In addition to the hybrid battery, these cars still have the regular battery and the odds of you getting a bad one are higher than anyone would ever like.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

RumorDude likes this.
  5. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    no biggy.
    If you can not charge, then drive for a while(15min) and park then lock unlock 3times, and warning will be gone.
    That is my experiences.

Like others say, it is 12V battery that has low voltage. Have a long good drive once a week :)

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Caeruleus11 and F142George like this.
  6. Adamtensta

Adamtensta Karting

Jan 9, 2019
    Scandinavia
    Full Name:
    Adam Tensta
    cool! Will try this and keep you all updated. The car was in the OEM charger so it´s a bit surprising that it would be low on voltage but lets see

7. F142George

F142George Karting

Jun 26, 2014
    UK
    Full Name:
    George
    A lot of the warnings and bugs usually disappear after a small drive and a restart. Of course check and see if the car feels in order as well before going for a drive.

8. Divexxtreme

Divexxtreme Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2020
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Keep your keys away from the car while it’s locked and charging. Apparently if they’re too close m. they can turn on certain systems and impede charging.

of2worlds, D11 and Caeruleus11 like this.
  9. Adamtensta

Adamtensta Karting

Jan 9, 2019
    Scandinavia
    Full Name:
    Adam Tensta
    Ferrari service told me to take it out for a 15-30 min drive, then lock and charge it for 24h and then see if it comes back. Will try that.

@Divexxtreme they are far away from the car

10. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

And this is the same company that is going to try bringing a 100% electric to market one day? Or better yet, 'mass' produce an SUV intended for daily use?

I love these cars, don't get me wrong. But rebooting a $400k car which is supposed to be an engineering milestone.... well, that just ain't right.

Goodness me.

Coincid, mdrums and ryalex like this.
  11. Adamtensta

Adamtensta Karting

Jan 9, 2019
    Scandinavia
    Full Name:
    Adam Tensta
    Unfortunately I´m not surprised that this happened. But it sucks that I paid $670k (not $400k) and on the second day this happened

SF1000, Solid State, ryalex and 4 others like this.
  12. manya81

manya81 Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2008
    Full Name:
    Robert

Unavoidable issues when it comes to new technologies

https://www.theverge.com/2021/7/2/22559051/porsche-taycan-ev-recall-12-volt-audi-etron-gt

13. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    And they said that electric cars would be more reliable as they´re simpler.

Ha, ha.

14. Adamtensta

Adamtensta Karting

Jan 9, 2019
    Scandinavia
    Full Name:
    Adam Tensta
    Today when I turned on the car I didn't get the error message any more. So life is all good. Drove it for an hour and all is fine. I noticed though that the charging cover popped up all the time. Had to unscrew it, adjust it, and then all fine... Image Unavailable, Please Login

SF1000, of2worlds, Jordan68 and 2 others like this.
  15. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    It is true that an electric motor is much simpler than an internal combustion engine. These are teething problems, because electric cars are new. Imagine what a nightmare ICE cars were when they first got out. That said, nothing beats the emotional attachment one can have with a good ICE powered car, be it pure ICE, or hybrid.

16. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Yes, at some moment they should be vastly more reliable than petrol engines. But still, I´m a bit disappointed about how crude the electric cars that they´re selling now are. It looks as they just don´t give a **** about getting them right as EVs are still a small part of their business. With the current technology they could be slow or short ranged but at least reliable.

17. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    You get similar problems with pure ICE cars nowadays, since they have become so complicated. Most of the times it is just software needing resetting, or something like that. Sometimes an ECU needs to be replaced, that's a bummer.

18. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Glad to hear it sorted itself out.

Caeruleus11 and Adamtensta like this.
  19. dinogt4guy

dinogt4guy F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2004
    Hewitt, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Kurtis Fordice
    The first electric car was built in the 1830’s, definitely not a new idea! Lol!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

20. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    The idea is not new but the current level of technology and implementation are.

21. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    With the complexity of the SF90 and the hybridization, and it being Ferrari’s inaugural attempt, not expecting reliability issues is simply naive. There will be many more on the horizon. Being the first owner of this car is courageous or foolhardy, depending upon your perspective.

jpalmito likes this.
  22. ferrariwithsnowtires

ferrariwithsnowtires Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2005
    As much as I am into Ferrari, their quality system issues keep me on the outside looking in

The SF90 (most amazing car) and Roma issues illustrate why there was a shift in management to a techy

My Gen 2 NSX is over 5 years old and has been great and doesn’t have to live on a tender

of2worlds and Napoli like this.
  23. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    Replace ion module. Perform software update and clear faults.

of2worlds and manya81 like this.
  24. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    of2worlds likes this.
  25. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    Whaaa....? :eek: