Removing Door Lock Knob? | FerrariChat

Removing Door Lock Knob?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by hnichols, Oct 16, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hnichols

hnichols Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Hugh Nicholson
    I know this is obvious, but how do you remove the plastic knob on the door lock knob (please see photo) so as to remove the top leather trim piece? I thought it would be threaded in, but, while it can turn, it doesn't unscrew. I figured I'd ask before trying to pry it off.
    TIA!

Attached Files:

2. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Can you put a jpg. picture please...the one you put cant get open !

3. hnichols

hnichols Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Hugh Nicholson
  4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Have you tried holding the steel rod with a pair of pliers (lining the jaws with some cardboard to prevent marring the steel rod) while simultaneously pulling up and turning the plastic knob? (With that much of the steel rod exposed I'm surprised that it hasn't already come off.)

5. hnichols

hnichols Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Hugh Nicholson
    Yes, and it rotates (albeit unevenly) but doesn't seem to unscrew. (The photo is a bit deceptive in that the metal part is only exposed by moving the trim piece down, not that it has been lifted out.) I just want to know if the metal rod is threaded. If not, I can simply pull up. If it is threaded, it means the threads are stripped.

6. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Yes, I see now in your photo that the door panel has been lowered. I think your only option is to hold the rod while pulling up (fairly hard) on the knob while turning it and hope that the steel threads can start to rethread themselves into the plastic material.

7. hnichols

hnichols Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Hugh Nicholson
    Thanks! Ah, so the rod is in fact threaded -- that's what I wanted to know.

8. theunissenguido

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    If not, you can push that rod and knob true the rubber ring on the panel...?!.

9. hnichols

hnichols Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Hugh Nicholson
    Hmm. Had another go at it, but it wouldn't budge. Gave up for now, b/c removing that panel may not be necessary.

Found the problem with the central door lock mechanism: one of those plastic clips broke (please see picture). Anyone know if these are available? Assuming it's #35 on the diagram (part # 40063208), I haven't been able to find it on the websites of either Superforrmance or AW Italian. I'm sure this is a common issue; they must be available somewhere.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    I am not sure it is threaded, it may be molded right onto the wire.

Steve Magnusson likes this.
  11. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    (Based on the SPC page you posted) I'm now not sure that knob is meant to come off (or can come off) -- since the knob and rod are a single part:

https://www.ferrariparts.co.uk/part/ferrari/61813600

Can you disconnect the other end of the rod (looks like it would use the same clip that you are trying to find)?

12. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

On the 308 the knob is threaded and there is a Philips head on it. You are probably stripped out. I did Auto Glass from the time I was 13 years old and have never seen a push down knob that wasn't threaded.

13. theunissenguido

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    If the knob and the wire were 2 separate parts, this would also be drawn on the parts diagram. However, it is drawn as 1 unit....

14. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Speaking of door locks, mine pop back up after I lock them with the key. I had the doors apart last year to clean the leather and tighten and lubricate all the parts inside.
    Is there a specific adjustment I need to make?

15. theunissenguido

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Has something to do with the 2 electric solenoids. Maybe 1 of them is blocked in open position, so when closing with a key on the other side, it will pop back

16. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
  17. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    moysiuan likes this.
  18. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Interesting problem, I don't recall an fchat thread that has explained Exactly how this lock system works and how the two solenoids are interconnected, that would be lots of wiring to do that and opportunities for electrical gremlins. If you lock them from inside by pushing the button rather than using the key do they work ok? One side verses the other, does the problem present regardless of which button is pressed. Seems like a mechanism issue rather than electrical.

19. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #19 Steve Magnusson, Oct 22, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
    Amen! If you'd like to see the conglomeration of switches, wires, motors, and linkages that form this crazy system, see Fig 9 here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2flk2dj2g8an7ir/Mondial 3.2 Wiring 488_87 by Urs.pdf?dl=0

Items 102 are the manual switches, and items 75 are the "door locking actuators" that have two SPDT switches inside and some sort of solenoid/motor with a mechanical "linkage" connection to the key mechanism and knob rod.

moysiuan likes this.
  20. hnichols

hnichols Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Hugh Nicholson
    Thanks, everybody for your comments. Strange that the Mondial lock knobs don't unscrew. And those clips are available at Autozone (please see photos).

I also made a video of the door latch repair -- a 20 minute video for a repair that took about a minute and a half. But it includes removing the door panels and installing the vapor barrier, which (for me anyway) takes time.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

MvT and moysiuan like this.
  21. theunissenguido

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Nice, thanks. Vapor Barrier...but did you cut a big piece of plastic out ?

22. hnichols

hnichols Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Hugh Nicholson
    Thanks! I removed the plastic covering that was there -- it was torn in several places -- and replaced it with a clear plastic sheet with an adhesive side. Still, I used the tacky strip calk to attach it so that I can remove it without tearing it the next time I have to work on the door.

Replacing the vapor barrier isn't difficult but it's time consuming.

23. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    If the actuators work, try taking apart the four wire connector that goes to them and applying some Dexot to the connection. The two lock actuators are connected and won't let you lock the doors if all is not well/properly configured with the system. If that doesn't fix it, then you probably need new actuators, I have a few extra if you need them.

My actuator on the drivers side was fried because water leaked down into it and there is always positive power going to the actuators.
    Alden
    See my thread here:
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/door-lock-actuators-fried-with-ugly-pics.517525/#post-144590256

moysiuan and JLF like this.
  24. Mondi Cab

Mondi Cab Karting

Oct 9, 2019
    EU
    Full Name:
    J.Schulz
    Hi JLF,
    Mine would pop back also, but I found that this was due to the other side doorknob not being fully retracted into the lock position.
    Now I hold the key to the lock position for about 3 seconds (or until both sides are well down) and there is no popping back.
    Maybe worth a try before you dismantel the door mechanism.

theunissenguido likes this.
  25. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Thanks guys for all the advice. I personally think it may just be an adjustment issue. But I’m not really looking forward to taking the doors all apart again.