Leaky expansion tank | FerrariChat

Leaky expansion tank

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by qwazipsycho, Oct 22, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I've had a couple of pin holes in the top of my expansion tank for quite a while. I finally pulled it off and media blasted it. There is plenty of intact metal but I'm unsure what the best method to seal these holes is. Ideas?

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    as long as new ones are available I would take a new tank. otherwise soft solder it

3. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I haven't looked up the price or availability. Doubtful I'm going to accept one of those crazy F prices for a part like this. There's nothing special about this tank. If it was from any other car it would be $35-$50. I'll take a wild guess and say the F price is about $1200. I think I would fabricate a new one before I would pay that.

turbo-joe likes this.
  4. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I would do the same. not so much work to make.
    have not had a look before how much a new one would be, sorry.
    I never would pay 1.200,- for such a little tank - or is it solid gold? then it would be cheap :)

5. Tulammo762

Tulammo762 Karting

Sep 21, 2021
    If it's a TR, about $500 new - #124264

6. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    at eurospares 457,35 GBP
    scott, where do you have those 1.200 from?

7. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Bad economy to make it yourself unless you work for free and enjoy hard work and risk taking. Media blast, cut up the box to fix it from the inside and inspection, repair the holes, re-weld the box, pressure test, primer, top coat, pray that it doesn't become leaking again within next couple of years....Just not worth it. Been there twice on my 308 and 512 and lost both times. Much cheaper and funnier to buy one of these (About the same price as filling the petrol tank twice where I live):

Best, Peter

Image Unavailable, Please Login

mikael82, afterburner and turbo-joe like this.
  8. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    sure, for 300 GBP better buy new

9. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Used silver solder on mine over 20 yrs ago and then used 70% gloss powder coat on top of that. Still looks brand new today.

peteficarra, turbo-joe and Tulammo762 like this.
  10. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    The $1200 number I pulled out of my colon. Because that's what I end up paying for every F part that isn't maintenance related. (And when you buy F parts, that's where they take your money from, straight out of your behind!)

$300 is a small enough amount it wouldn't hurt too bad during extraction.

pshoejberg and turbo-joe like this.
  11. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I took your que and bought some muriatic acid and soaked it. Then I flushed all the rust chunks out and soldered it. It took me about 6 tries but it eventually held pressure again. $16 includes gloss black spray paint. The F pimp gets shafted again!

12. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Did not know muriatic is good for cleaning brass / copper etc
    .thanks

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

13. raysur

raysur Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2008
    So. Cal.
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I coated the inside of my tank with rusty metal primer after a thorough mild acid cleaning. Just to protect it. It works wonders for old gas tanks figured it would help this tank.

14. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Also, the main reason why these parts are available new is because most of them are still being made. Buying them keeps those suppliers alive, and with them our cars.

turbo-joe and 2dinos like this.
  15. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Yeah I hear you but it's not my problem to keep others in business. If they go under others will take their place. If not, fabricate.

Tulammo762 likes this.
  16. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Ideally a pin hole situation should be fixed from behind. Just to visualize how a pin hole looks from both side see the pictures below and it becomes clear what I mean. Both the front and backside should be media blasted and all holes soldered or welded and hereafter the tank can be assembled and coated preferably on both sides. Anything less than this might work for a long time or might not pending the severity of the rust attach....Hence your are taking a calculated, in my opinion rather high risk, that steam will arise from your engine bay when you least want it.

Best, Peter

Pic 1: Pin hole seen from the outside.
    Pic 2: Corrosion and rust flakes seen from inside.
    Pic 3. Pin hole seen from inside (Yellow ring), 2 out of countless areas with severe pitting with significant reduced metal thickness (Red rings).

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Guys….

Change out your anti-freeze more frequently!

pshoejberg likes this.
  18. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Ya think?