Ferrari 308 gts carburetor version with o2 sensors manifold | FerrariChat

Ferrari 308 gts carburetor version with o2 sensors manifold

Discussion in '308/328' started by leslie_choo, Oct 22, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. leslie_choo

leslie_choo Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2012
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    BCChoo
    I bought new set of manifolds from Superformance that come with individual CO holes for my carburetor version 308 Gts 1979. I thought I could install the o2 sensor to adjust the air fuel ratio . Apparently the sensor holes are so small !!! May I check what kind of o2 sensors will work on them ?
    Thanks

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. jmaienza

jmaienza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Those are probably for the air injection tubes which are part of the emission system of the 78-79 USA carburetor cars

If you want to put an O2 bung in the exhaust header go to an exhaust shop and have them weld one in at the end of the header. This will allow you to measure air/fuel ratio for each bank. Make sure you place it so you can access it with a wrench. They require a lot of force to remove the plug to install the O2 sensor.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

3. Foxie

Foxie Karting

Oct 9, 2011
    Wexford, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Sean Murray
    I fitted a Superperformance supplied exhaust system about 3 years ago.

These are not sensor holes at all, they tapped stubs to bolt on the heat shield. Your ones are the same as the old exhaust system I had, they are in a slightly different location on the new system.

I had to braze on 2 lambda probe bungs & plugs on the main pipes just before the silencer. They normally measure the oxygen level in the exhaust, not CO or CO2.

4. jmaienza

jmaienza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Superperformance must have changed from the original Ferrari design. My headers did not have any header shield “tabbed stubs”. They did have threaded holes for the air induction pipes and a threaded fittings for the sampling tubes which were used for tuning. This was for a 78 USA carburetor car.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

5. leslie_choo

leslie_choo Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2012
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    BCChoo
    Is this what you all referring to ?
    So actually Ferrari did provide a tool to connect to the exhaust manifold so that we can extend this tool to use it for A/F mixture ? Can get this tool to connect to my manifold and from the output connect to sensor for A/F Mixture info . How to use this tool ?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    FWIW you can install an O2 sensor in the system of a carb engine but there is no way it will ever work. What mechanism will vary the fuel delivery to achieve lambda? Yes those holes are for sampling exhaust temp and exhaust content. Simply leave them blocked.

Brian Harper and thorn like this.
  7. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    Those ports are for sampling exhaust gas while carb tuning, but a modern O2 sensor won't fit and isn't the correct tool.
    Those ports shown are not for mounting the heat shield, those tabs are different.
    The air injection ports are in the head not in the exhaust manifold.
    Leslie, that tubular thing is supposed to attach to the front header so you can access the ports. Otherwise they would be unreachable. Probably Rifledriver would know if Ferrari supplied an adapter for that to interface with some multi-gas analyzer or not. My guess is the adapter is the easy part, go find yourself a 3+ gas analyzer first.

8. Foxie

Foxie Karting

Oct 9, 2011
    Wexford, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Sean Murray
    My dynamometer man, who is also a Weber expert, screws a lambda probe into the fittings on the main exhaust pipes, runs the engine up on the rolling road, recording O2 against the revs, and changes the carb jets as readings indicate.

9. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Sure, that makes sense but I would not want to be the person standing on the rolling road trying to adjust carbs. Regardless, HE is managing fuel flow rather than an engine management solution. A permanent O2 sensor on a Weber-equipped car is useless without something or someone constantly changing fuel rates.

10. Foxie

Foxie Karting

Oct 9, 2011
    Wexford, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Sean Murray
    He waits until everything is stopped before changing any jets !

Then gives it another run.

When he is happy, the O2 probes on his machine are removed, and the bungs replaced.

11. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #11 Steve Magnusson, Oct 24, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
    The 1-4 header shown in post #1 is for a euro carbed 308, and those studs are for mounting a heat shield (don't know if they are also hollow to serve for exhaust sampling):

https://www.ferrariparts.co.uk/diagram/ferrari/308-gtb-gts-carburetor/012-exhaust-system

A 1-4 header for a US version has a wrapped outer insulation and female threaded fittings on each tube that accept exhaust sampling tubes that have the same double-bubble flare fitting and hex nut fitting like shown in post #5:

https://www.ferrariparts.co.uk/diagram/ferrari/308-gtb-gts-usa/017-exhaust-system

12. Foxie

Foxie Karting

Oct 9, 2011
    Wexford, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Sean Murray
    When I was fitting the exhaust system to my originally English 1978 308 GTS I thought the stubs might have been drilled through into the branch pipe.

I checked, they were not.

:)