458 - 458 Market Inventory | Page 3 | FerrariChat

458 458 Market Inventory

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Bigfisher89, Aug 6, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. todd cloud

todd cloud Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Todd
    A decent-spec 12k mile 2013 458 sold last week at FoA for 229k USD. In 3 days.

Rexcat458 likes this.
  2. fazooley

fazooley Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2005
    The pricing is absolutely out of control lol. I've been looking for a 458 and cannot believe how much they have risen. My worry is eventually this market is gonna level off and correct itself. What's anyones thoughts on purchasing one of these now? Make more sense for the market to course correct?

Frankie

3. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    Buy what you like, and the price change won't matter. No one here knows what the price will do going forward.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  4. rockminster

rockminster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    The sports car market will have to take a breather at some point, how much that impacts 458s is TBD. So many factors at play including the availability of easy money and rising equity markets. Importantly, 458 prices are strong because it is the last NA V8 Ferrari and it’s proven to be a fabulous and reliable car. It’s possible that 458 value surpass 488 values in the same way the 993 Porsches have vs the 996.

If it were me I’d just keep looking and know what my “must haves” are. When that car is available and of high quality, I’d jump. Even if the value drops, I’d have the car I want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Viperjoe likes this.
  5. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Unless it’s a rare car like a speciale, you shouldn’t assume it’s an investment, but I say buy what you like. If you don’t like it and flip it in the short term you won’t gain or lose much, but if you keep it for several years, you’ve bought a lot of fun times.

Rexcat458 likes this.
  6. fazooley

fazooley Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2005

Yea I agree to some degree I guess. My last Ferrari I purchased new, kept it for 2 years and sold it for 15k more then purchase price so i did real well with that one. Im considering a Mclaren also as I feel they've take a huge depreciation, the newer ones are pretty reliable and provide alot of value. But every time i start looking I always gravitate back to the 458 lol. Thanks for the replies guys

Frankie

430jm likes this.
  7. 430jm

430jm Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2017
    Atlanta
    It was right at a year ago that I started looking for a red tan all non carbon options 458 spider for less than 200 K, hopefully around 185. That car did not exist and will never exist. I found one for 212 in March, and thankfully bought it. It’s now probably worth 280 or 290, and I’ve had offers but it’s not for sale and after having driven it, it won’t be!

8. njcycleguy

njcycleguy Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 27, 2008
    Northeast
    I've said it before and I'll say it again - every mid engine V8 that has come after the 458 has been an evolution - not a revolution - and that has kept prices of the 458 relatively strong.

The current market, however - well, that's another story. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that the market is inflated by the pandemic, product shortages, and cheap money. That confluence of factors has led to a favorable valuation increase of the 458, but remember it's also led to an increase across many Ferrari models, 488's and even Portofinos, which are up as well. And FYI - I am not one who believes the 458 will surpass the 488 in terms of valuation. Get close, yes, but not surpass, regardless of that glorious NA V8 sound. Time will tell though.

I believe anyone jumping into the 458 market that is concerned about losing money on their investment should likely avoid buying one right now. If that's not a factor, then jump right in, especially if you find your dream spec and are going to finance since money is cheap. The 458 remains one of the best Ferrari models ever produced.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  9. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    The 458 series is an absolute pinnacle for Ferrari. People realize this and what the future holds. So they’re buying these cars up at high prices regardless.
    You think when the current situation eases that people who paid $275K for a 458 Spider are just going to let them go for huge depreciation a year or two later? No a chance in hell. The prices will hold IMO.

10. pnd4pnd

pnd4pnd Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 19, 2021
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric Thune
    Couldn't agree more. Everything after the 458 doesn't look nearly as good. The additional power and speed is not that usable on the street. Love my 458 and not selling anytime soon. Just lucky to have gotten in before the bump.

11. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
  12. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    This is an interesting point. I wonder about that given that new cars are selling For crazy markups. How about those paying 100k over msrp ADM for a g wagon or 100k for a Ford raptor. Are they going to expect used prices to hold when supply opens up??

13. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    One of the ninja turtles’??

SV

14. fazooley

fazooley Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2005
    Thanks for the replies guys. Hopefully i can find one in the coming weeks that works for the spec im looking for. Ferrari of LI has a few 458s but none with specs im in love with. There is a company Chicago Motor Cars on ebay that has 5 or 6 of them in inventory and there excellent spec but im leary of these 3rd party dealers and the horror story reviews about them. Anybody here have any dealings with them?

Frankie

15. todd cloud

todd cloud Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Todd
    stick with a Ferrari dealer and CPO cars

njcycleguy, Rexcat458 and JTSE30 like this.
  16. rockminster

Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    Are 458s still eligible to be CPO’d? Last year was 2015 and that may have been only Speciales at that point.

17. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    YES

https://www.autotrader.com/car-shopping/ferrari-certified-pre-owned-program

If you have your heart set on purchasing a used Ferrari, we suggest you consider a certified pre-owned (CPO) one. These are cars originally registered in the past 14 years that have passed a 101-point inspection. Ferrari technicians have made all needed repairs, as well as restoring the interior and exterior to age-appropriate shape. Unlike other brands, however, Ferrari CPO coverage of 1 year or 2 years with unlimited mileage is priced separately from the cost of the CPO car. Ferrari also offers its Power 15 warranty covering major mechanicals like the engine, transmission, suspension and so forth for 15 years from the original registration date.

of2worlds likes this.
  18. jc1

jc1 Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2021
    Greenville, SC
    Full Name:
    Joey (2012 458 Spider)
    Yes. I bought my 2012 private party and had Ferrari CPO it (basically you just pay for the Power Warranty).

19. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    CPO is up to 15 years.

I bought my 2010 458 in February 2021 CPO with a 2 year warranty through February 2023.

20. 430jm

430jm Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2017
    Atlanta
    Many if not most are reputable. Get the records and a PPI if you want. And the cars are not prone to blow up, have a bunch of known defects etc.

Get a Ferrari warranty if you want, but these aren’t cheap and all the polls show people are split on having them. I self-insure.

21. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    All scooped up! Last N/A V8 Ferrari, last Pininfarina, Schumacher input on wheel, etc., etc. Hence the jump in prices....

Mikael-F360 likes this.
  22. rockminster

Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    Agree with this. Many 458 owners don’t have relationships with F dealers and/or don’t want to sell through a F dealer for a number of reasons. In a tight market, seems silly to me to restrict inventory to F dealer cars.

23. jagged155

jagged155 Karting

Dec 3, 2016
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Dan

In regards to the G63 - they are expected to actually go up over the next couple months! I have a 2021 and my local dealer, who has 5 new (used) on the lot said to hang tight!

I bought that new but did recently pay a premium for a $380k MSRP 458 Spider. Maybe it will be a wash when the market settles but hope to trade out of the G63 in time.

24. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    Hi Dan.
    This doesn’t make much sense to me. Not sure that you are saying?