Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w-40 reformulated, no longer Ferrari approved | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w-40 reformulated, no longer Ferrari approved

Discussion in '360/430' started by f355spider, May 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. clean512

clean512 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2010
    Full Name:
    Josh @jtcarprojects
  2. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    Ok, I spent 20 min and called that line for oil selection recommended by Pennzoil page. I got hold of an old dude, and he dug through specs and specs, and advised that they changed the name. The Ferrari approved oil is actually called "Pennzoil Plantinum Racing 5w-40", and it is designed to withstand slightly higher working temperatures than the regular Platinum Euro, in case people track their Ferrari. Everything else is the same.
    Here is the technical data sheet where Ferrari is written black on white:
    https://solutions.shell.com/us/products/Pennzoil_Platinum_Racing_5W-40__001G9865

Now good luck finding it. I think I'm going to go Motul or Liqui Molly my self...

3. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    Got the same response from Pennzoil tech line. Where can you get the product (Platinum racing 5W-40)?

4. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    They were not able to tell.. and I could not find it. I went with the best oil I know out there, which is recommended for Ferrari. Redline 5w-40.
    I initially wanted to go Motul, but their gen 2 8100 apparently is no longer Group V oil, and is thinner to comply with new emission regulations for euro turbocharged engines... so..

5. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Pennzoil customer service replied to my email this morning with the following response about the Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w-40 having Ferrari approval.
    "Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40 no longer have the Ferrari approval.

The new SKU 550051259 : Pennzoil Platinum Racing 5W-40 (API SN, ACEA A3/B4, Ferrari) is now the new Ferrari approved oil. Thanks for your interest in our product."

Here is the web link:
    Solutions Hub - Pennzoil Platinum Racing 5W-40 (shell.com)

This is the product data sheet:
    0d2a7349-5baf-4a56-8deb-395ec19c699d.pdf (shell-livedocs.com)

Interesting that this product is not readily available online or in retail stores from what I can find.
    I'm sure your Ferrari dealer carries it, and independent Ferrari service providers that can get it from Shell distributors.

6. AndreB

AndreB Karting

Jun 8, 2018
    HTX
    Full Name:
    Ndr
    I have heard that this product will be available to the public later next year

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

7. 67bmer

67bmer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2015
    MD
    I think that the vast majority of modern oils with the correct viscosity are perfectly fine for those not competing at the highest levels.

I use Mobil-1 0W-40 European blend for my Cayenne and BMW and the are racking up the miles trouble free.

Extreme1 likes this.
  8. Dragster

Dragster Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    #58 Dragster, Oct 23, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
    I did the same and got the new oil as well.:rolleyes: It's annoying and I don't know if I should send it back or just use it. How much different can it be? What criteria should I be looking for besides the oil weight? I don't remember seeing anything else in the owners manual.

9. Dragster

Dragster Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    Thanks for the info! I wish they would've answered your question as to whether or not the oil has actually been reformulated or if they simply moved the prancing horse to a different bottle. The data sheets you posted earlier in the thread have the same ratings (for the info that's listed on both sheets).

f355spider likes this.
  10. AndreB

AndreB Karting

Jun 8, 2018
    HTX
    Full Name:
    Ndr
    It's the same oil just on a different bottle.

For what it matters, I have used the Pennzoil Euro 5W40 even if it does not have the prancing horse on it... I know it does not have as many anti-foaming agents that the Pennzoil Racing 5W40 approved by Ferrari has.

If there is a brand that I would stay away from is Mobil 1, with the cost cuttings that they have done I doubt their base oil is even group II lol...

11. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    I spoke to the tech line at Pennzoil. It is Not the same oil with a different bottle. The oil has been reformulated and no longer meets Ferrari requirements. The racing 5w40 is the oil that meets Ferrari specs. So far I have not been able to source the product.

12. AandSC

AandSC Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 12, 2016
    Jax, FL
    Full Name:
    Allen
    Dragster and f355spider like this.
  13. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Hey there Allen, That seems it clears things up to me unless my coffee hasnt kicked in yet. I just did an oil change with it. Give me a call when you can,,Thanks

14. Borrow’d Mine

Borrow’d Mine Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2019
    Florida
    Where did you buy this?

15. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I bought the 5w40 platinum euro at the local auto parts Advanced Auto.

Borrow’d Mine likes this.
  16. Dragster

Dragster Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    The only question I have after reading that is why do we still not have Platinum Racing oil in the US if this change took place in 2018? It's 2021 and I can still only find Platinum Euro oil, which is the same stuff my 4C takes.

17. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

well I wandered the same thing. But I do know that changes like these takes time

18. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    I returned the Pennzoil Euro which is no longer Ferrari approved and did an oil change with Redline (got it shipped by Walmart) .. I know this is good stuff, group 5 Ester based oil.. It might be just Placebo effect, but I could swear the engine got quieter when I fired her up with this oil.

The plugs were absolutely bonkers tightened.. I know the manual calls for 75Nm but boy... Had to do a big extension to crack them open. I will need to change the oil plugs next time, the opening got slightly damaged by the hex sockets.

Also, that filter mesh inside; looked new and no tears/rips or anything like that, so I left it alone this oil change.

The filter in the gearbox, also looked perfectly fine. I know people say change it, but it might have been changed before, mine looked perfectly fine. Just a couple small pieces of white sealant from gearbox on it, I cleaned it really well and reinstalled.

f355spider, clean512 and AandSC like this.
  19. clean512

clean512 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2010
    Full Name:
    Josh @jtcarprojects
    Stick with the good stuff.

20. Dragster

Dragster Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    Is Red Line "approved" by Ferrari? How much does it really matter?

clean512 likes this.
  21. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    I don't want to get into a debate about oils, but I was told by Pennzoil themselves that this oil I returned is no longer recommended as it is not designed to withstand as high temperatures as the other oil, Pennzoil racing.. They are both oils made of natural gas.
    Redline oils specifications are way higher than any of these oils.. I am using it in most of my cars gearboxes and sometimes engines... The only reason I don't use Redline for everything is cost.

My 13 y.o. 335i can do with Motul or Castrol, but Ferrari will get the best :)

Dragster likes this.
  22. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    The plugs might have bonded to the heads with galvanic corrosion. This is why it’s good to change them, or at least break them loose and retorque them, every few years.

I use Redline oil also. The high temperature and rpm limit of this engine is why.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Mario Andretti likes this.
  23. clean512

clean512 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2010
    Full Name:
    Josh @jtcarprojects
    I think if people did there own homework and not trusted everything that comes out the dealership there cars would be amazing. Or true information that backs what is good or what is not good about a product.

24. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    This has been discussed before, and found to be an error. High probability of stripping threads if you use that value.

25. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    ... so what is the value, the suspense is killing me ..:(