Roma - in the flesh | FerrariChat

Roma - in the flesh

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Oitbc, Oct 20, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Oitbc

Oitbc Rookie

Mar 25, 2021
    Full Name:
    Phil Thomas
    Ok, sorry if this has been covered on the 186 page Roma thread before but I saw the car today for the first time in the flesh and it looks like someone drove an Aston and Ferrari together at high speed and then made some decisions I can’t understand.

1) the hideous black box in the mesh grille. It’s not even mounted straight. They have it in the portofino behind the grille and it’s not too obtrusive but in the Roma it’s hideous and conspicuous. This is a £200k car and it just looks like someone picked something up from the cheap parts bin. Once spotted nothing on the car can make up for it. Comparing it to the F8 and Portfonio M and it just loses. Why hasn’t someone tried to either place it elsewhere or design a better cover for it. It’s an eyesore
    2) I know the portofino M has some cutouts behind the front wheels to disperse heating points on the tyres but why does the Roma body work expose 1.5 inches of tyre at the front to the wind and 3-4 inches at the rear? All other cars try and cover the wheel with bodywork to maintain airflow. Does it have magic airflow or is it a case of someone forgot to add panels to do it? Again looking at the PM and F8 they both have panels that cover the cars wheels when going forward, so why doesn’t the Roma?

Sorry for the ranting - just so disappointed in the car in the flesh. Meanwhile F8 is an absolute classic in the making in the flesh. Even on a fully Matt black car. Portfonio M was a lovely classic shape as well.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

whatheheck likes this.
  2. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
  3. DBomb117

DBomb117 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2019
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Dimitriy
    alex likes this.
  4. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    There are divided opinions on the Roma, indeed all F cars, but I have yet to meet anyone who thinks the ADAS is well integrated. As you said, it's an eyesore. And, that's too bad, because if this really is to be a daily driven F-car all those nannies come in useful, especially for navigating in traffic, parking, etc. I do not know who at F gave the go-ahead on that packaging, but they need to be fired!

T

carnutdallas likes this.
  5. AtomicPunk88

AtomicPunk88 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    Brad
    Looks pretty terrible, IMHO.

6. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I'll take.mine in barchetta red. With a cuio interior and a polished front grill.

7. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    I saw the car and drove the car.
    Too many folks drinking the Ferrari Kool Aid.
    I'll pass.

8. wings

wings Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003

9. wings

wings Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    Ferrari has changed and in my opinion not for the better.

10. dan129007

dan129007 Rookie

Apr 20, 2018
    Florida
    Front radar box at the front is an option needed for automatic cruise control. Probably unnecessary for most drivers, and omission of this option takes away the box.

11. wings

wings Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    I omitted!

12. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Saw a nice white Roma today and it had the ADAS. I think you made the right call. With ADAS, I assume the Roma still had a rear view camera? Front camera?

T

13. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I like the Roma grill.

My biggest issue is I think people would think its an Aston Martin. It needed more "Ferrari DNA" in it.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  14. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Plus 1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. dan129007

dan129007 Rookie

Apr 20, 2018
    Florida
    Can still get surround cameras and back radar / blind spot detection without the front black box ( which is part of the Full ADAS package)

16. GameBuoy

GameBuoy Rookie

Oct 21, 2021
    Coral Gables, FL
    I think it's a beautiful car with the grille giving it an aggressive and mischievous look. I'm a fan.

I agree the box takes away from the front end. But it's certainly not a necessity for a daily driver.

I have automatic cruise control (along with night vision) on my 2017 Panamera Turbo. I have a box in the front center of the grille, just as Mercedes does. I have don't use either one of the options so there's no need to ugly up the front end with it.