A serious Ferrari monoposto... | FerrariChat

A serious Ferrari monoposto...

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by Doug Nye, Oct 23, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Doug Nye

Doug Nye Formula Junior
    Honorary

Jan 21, 2008
    UK
    Take a look at this...

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10215193456137694&set=pcb.1360099117501892

Pat Hoare's 'Tasman' Ferrari which began life as Phil Hill's 1960 Italian GP-winning Dino 246/F1, but which had been fitted with a 3-litre V12 engine for racing in New Zealand. When Tasman Formula 2 1/2-litre racing rules were applied from 1964 this old banger became obsolete, and Pat Hoare had it rebodied and reworked as what the Kiwis called his 'GTO'. To my eye the body shape suggested that the 'O' stood for 'Orrible. The car was sold eventually to Neil Corner in the UK who had it restored in original single-seater form, while retaining the V12 engine for Historic racing. Nice photos, in any case.

DCN

2. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I’m always astonished by the coincidence of two men on opposite sides of the world, unrelated but with the same surname and speaking the same language, having almost identical connections to a legendary race car builder thriving in a tiny town in Emilia-Romagna......

Lusso123 and bloomberg like this.
  3. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I believe that this is Corner being thrown out of the same car at Goodwood. I understand that he was not as badly injured as one would have expected.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Yes, that was one of the early years of Revival.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  5. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #5 Nembo1777, Oct 25, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
    The subject of one of my absolute favourite articles, loved doing it for Cavallino back in 1998, more on this when at home in front of my computer, not on my phone with clumsy fingers in an airport.

Cover story in Cavallino 112 August September 1999.

I recently met the driver of the other Ferrari in the dramatic photo of airborne Nigel Corner - Neil's son- quite the hair-raising tale but yes he recovered eventually.

6. Doug Nye

Doug Nye Formula Junior
    Honorary

Jan 21, 2008
    UK
    Nigel was knocked about in that incident but fortunately he landed on top of the rubber tyre wall which at least cushioned most of the initial impact. He still suffered a considerable soft-tissue battering but at least the faithful Ferrari missed him... Michael Schumacher-style weaving off the startline became a no-no in most UK racing thereafter - but it lost none of the quite ferocious edge which so surprises many American visitors.

DCN

Nembo1777 likes this.