F1 Experiences Review - Austin | FerrariChat

F1 Experiences Review - Austin

Discussion in 'F1' started by rob lay, Oct 25, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    This is the first time we've used F1 Experiences for tickets or did the Paddock Club. We originally did this for the 2020 China race, but then cancellations moved to 2020 Montreal and 2021 Montreal before finally landing on 2021 Austin. I guess we should be happy for using the tickets at all. We lost some minor % of the value as each was cancelled and I suspect they inflated prices and packed people in tighter to deliver on all the packages people bought in the last 20 months during Coronavirus. Paddock club was PACKED, but so was the entire race, I've never seen Austin so packed even in General Admission.

I'll provide my review and anxious to hear from others who have used F1 Experiences and done the Paddock Club level tickets or if they have alternatives even better.

Kudos :)
    • Sales service is great, you get assigned someone personally from F1 Experiences. They are very responsive and will call right away.
    • Ordering process, contracts, tickets, and then follow up information is very clear and professional.
    • Parking access was OK, a little easier in and out than regular lots.
    • They didn't check our negative COVID tests ever and no masks required!
    • Access very nice and secure, helpful security and pretty young girls with big smiles welcoming you.
    • Suite desk very helpful and nice whatever you needed.
    • Assigned private tables.
    • Suite was nice with adequate TV's inside. AC blew cold! Austin this weekend had some brutal sun and humidity, especially Saturday.
    • Free beer, wine, and sparkling water. Wait staff was very professional and responsive.
    • Food was better than expected, especially being banquet style that many people. Great options filet, lamb, seafood, lobster, etc.
    • Outside viewing was a good different experience for me vs. the dozen+ F1 races I've done in the past. Great view of start and right over pits.
    • Always a seat available outside, although the front row overhanging the pits was usually shoulder to shoulder although Lin and I got our fair share of viewing from there.
    • Great backside view of each team's hospitality area. I never watched long, never saw any drivers, Mattia was out there a bunch.
    • Pit Walk was a great first experience for me, probably my highlight of weekend.
    Sad Face :(
    • $5,000k+ a ticket is many many many times too expensive for what you get. if that is pocket change for you, then go for it, but to me that's half of a 355 major. ;) I think it would have been worth it for China as we were spending a bunch of money anyway and not as familiar, for Austin I can show you a better time for less than $1,000.
    • It was packed and crowded! The entire race was, maybe the biggest Austin F1 turnout ever, people even had a hard time finding seats in General Admission areas. However, I wouldn't expect to still feel like cattle in the Paddock Club. Long lines waiting for pit access, long lines entering and exiting the club as everyone went at the same time, and they stacked tables on top of each other in the suites. I'm curious if this is how the Paddock Club always is or if Austin 2021 was different as they were getting more people to use their credits from cancelled races the last 20 months.
    • It was just a tight cafeteria in the suite, no lounge area, even hard to walk between the tables it was packed so tight.
    • I wish larger and better TV viewing inside.
    • No liquor served in suites! There was 1-2 bars that had free liquor in the regular Paddock Club area, but it was outside the suite and you had to know where to go. For $5k a ticket, give people a damn liquor selection.
    • There were very few track drive seats available and they went fast.
    • To my knowledge they didn't do any driver or team member talks as usual, maybe because of COVID?
    • Although they never checked, Lin and I still had to get COVID tests the day before.
    • The average person in Paddock Club were not F1 fans! Everyone was really nice though. Sat next to an ex-NFL player (I don't know name) and a couple Colorado real estate guys from Colorado. The other pair at our table 18 year old girl with her "import export" father from Guatemala. Most interesting guy a 60+ year old guy who would have fit right in with Machine Gun Kelly tattoos and crystal covered shoes, he was having more fun than anyone though.
    • Seats were right in the afternoon direct sun.

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
  3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
  4. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    my sister, BIL, niece and her husband were there all 3 days in GA. they had a lot of fun, were cheering for RB so I guess they had a successful weekend :)

they said it was crazy packed. they've been to F1 and WEC/IMSA races there before and said the crowds were way bigger than before, even the first year of F1.

did you get to talk to Megan Thee Stallion? :p

pdxjim488, Ryan S., Bas and 4 others like this.
  5. blkfxstc

blkfxstc Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2016
    TX
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Looks like a good time and thanks for the pics!

For reference, my wife and I went in 2016 and sat in the Turn 12 bleachers. Tickets were $700 each for the weekend with a parking pass and no free anything (I bought them off a PSL owner and didn't have to pay any of that cost). I have no idea how much the package I purchased in 2016 would cost now, even without the PSL.

6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I let Martin Brundle have a go. :D

john a barnes, Bas, technom3 and 3 others like this.
  7. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Turn 12 is my favorite and where I always got tickets in the past. I believe it is the best viewing end of fast straight and then you can see 3-7, 12-17. Those bleachers get hot and tightly packed, but just go up for the session, plenty of shade below and food drinking options.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

john a barnes, Ryan S., Bas and 3 others like this.
  8. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    $5K for that! Packed in like cattle, couldn’t do it. Is there a higher level of hospitality one can purchase than the $5k paddock club?

Does Ferrari have their own paddock club you can attend with and buy through?

For less than $5k you can rent the entire circuit at COTA on a non-race weekend and have your own private track day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I agree 100%. We kind of got pigeon held into it. Our $5k tickets were for China 2020. Hotel, shuttle, pit walk, track drive, driver meet & greet, and probably less packed suite. Montreal was still a good setup, but a little less. I would have never spent this with 100% my own money.

For $5k my standards would be drive up parking, less crowded suite with lounge, driver and team meet, and fine liquor! :D

john a barnes and Bas like this.
  10. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Last I heard, the least expensive daily rate to rent COTA was about $50K, partial days and shared event rates are possible, but I do not believe any are close to $5K and certainly not for the entire track for a weekend, that's more like $100K+

Remember, when you rent COTA, they have permanent staff, emergency workers, etc, it's not like you are there by yourself.

technom3 likes this.
  11. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Shared event where you have the private track, that’s what I was referring to. During an HPDE, you get your own private group on track where the track is yours for 5-6 20 minute sessions. Book through the HPDE organizer. $3899 was the last price through chin track days.

Ferrari55whoa likes this.
  12. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Thanks for the incite and pics @rob lay.

Bas and Jeronimo GTO like this.
  13. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Totally agree.

Americans have no idea how to do luxury hospitality the right way. I could easily justify $5k for the paddock club experience in Silverstone, Spa, Monza, etc. Austin, Texas?? Not a chance. At the end of the day, F1 just contracts out everything to local vendors and no one can tell me there is a local vendor in Austin, Texas who actually knows how to cater to such clientele, been down this road so many times with VIP, private events, etc. Unless you’re in New York or LA, anywhere else in the US when it comes to an “exclusive” VIP experience is going to fall very very short.

pdxjim488, john a barnes, Bas and 2 others like this.
  14. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Ah, that's not with COTA, that's through the track event organizer (they are the ones renting the track, in that case you are paying the event organizer for their package). There are totally private events, not via Chin or any other organizer, directly with the track, where everyone splits the cost to run on a weekday, that is about $40K and if you have 20 people each putting in $2K each, there you go.

And, for instance, the Ferrari dealer will put on an event for 6 hours plus a meal and the track time is shared with other events (Audi driving school for instance), in that case the cost varies quite a bit depending on how much track time there is.

15. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

jcurry likes this.
  16. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Thanks so much, Rob for the post-race experience report. I enjoyed reading this very much!

john a barnes and rob lay like this.
  17. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    This.

I might consider looking into Turn 13 trackside suites, but for enjoying the actual race itself, high in Turn 12 is hard to beat, or High in Turn 1 because an F1 Standing Start is something everyone needs to enjoy from time to time.

The Turn One Top Row Breeze is always nice on the warmer days.

john a barnes, bball16 and JTSE30 like this.
  18. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Spoken like a person who knows his home track inside and out. Great advice for the future. Thanks.

19. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    #22 Gatorrari, Oct 25, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
    I sat at Turn 12 the one time I went - 2015 - and the view was the best of any of the 25-or-so Grands Prix that I have ever attended. Not only do you see a fair amount of passing, you see the track all the way into Turn 16 as well as at least part of the track in Turns 3-7. And as a bonus, from my seat I could even see Turn 1 off in the distance! Unfortunately, it rained so hard on Saturday that I never went to the track, and Sunday was wet until about noon, so it wasn't as much fun as it could have been.

Here's the view of the field negotiating Turn 1 on the first lap. Remember, this is taken from Turn 12!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

hookem and rob lay like this.
  20. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    I like T12 BUT I sat lower in the seating area and the screen-fencing in front is difficult to see the cars coming down the straight. You can hear them...but you can't see them until they are in front of you....then they disappear(again the screen-fencing)going into T12.

It's best if you get a higher seating area at T12 to see the cars coming and exiting T12.

Same goes for in front of the pits as well.

BruceC, 330GCC, rob lay and 1 other person like this.
  21. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    The seats at Turn 12 are epic. Damn.

rob lay likes this.
  22. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    We took 18 FCA members from Long Island Chapter and We were top row turn 12 section 7. It’s the 2nd time we had those seats and they are perfect. You can see first the whole track except for start line and the speed coming down that long straight is unreal. Traffic sucked, but it was still an awesome time.