Get out and drive your Boxer | FerrariChat

Get out and drive your Boxer

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by bosman, Sep 25, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bosman

bosman Rookie

Oct 3, 2014
    Harmelen
    OK, short introduction. I’m a 59 year old dutchman and have been driving, owning and restoring classic sportscars for many years. Mostly Porsches. I’m more a driver than a polisher. A few years ago, I bought my first Ferrari, a 599 Fiorano. Very nice car, but the F1 gearbox was a big disappointment for me and I soon traded it in on a 458 Italia. Beautiful car, fastest car I ever owned, but in the end it was too much like a computer game for me. It did not give me the pure driving experience that older cars do (no offense to the newer supercar owners, but that’s how it feels for me). So, earlier this year, I got rid of the 458 and bought a 1983 512 BBi. Not concours, but in nice shape. Red with black/wool interior. Now that’s a proper car. The sound, the looks, the feel, this is what I like.

With a small group of (Porsche) friends, we usually do a few driving trips every year. Sometimes we go to Scotland, but also to France, Spain, Italy or Germany. As long as there are deserted twisty roads, we’re happy. Usually I take my 964RS for these trips. But when the guys wanted to go to the French Alps last week, I figured, why not take the 512 and see how she holds up against the Porsches.

So off we went to France, stayed in the gorgeous Chateau de Picomtal and did some great daytrips from there, driving some spectacular roads. Col de la Bonette, Isola 2000, Dignes les Bains (old Monte Carlo stages). On the way back home, we went through the French skiing areas, took the Col D’Izoard, Col de L’Iseran to Val D’Isere. Than on to Mulhouse, to visit the Schlumpf Museum (well worth a stop!).

Got home last night after doing about 2500 miles last week. The 512 behaved flawlessly, didn’t miss a beat and held it’s ground with the Porsches. All in all it was a fantastic trip and I was actually surprised what a great car the 512 is for trips like these. It’s fast, relatively comfortable, nicely balanced, steers/stops/shifts great and a lot of fun!

So all you Boxer owners out there; don’t be afraid to use your car, but get out and drive!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Hawkeye, moysiuan, SCantera and 21 others like this.
  2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I think you also feel how great the BBi is handling on curvy roads with speed between 60 and 180 km/h. no porsche form that area is handling so great
    as I see at the wheen you have been driving hard. all over with brake dust. happy cleaning :)

2dinos, c4b4the04 and ingegnere like this.
  3. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    Awesome! The 512 BB is one of my favorites!!!

Happy motoring
    Jim

4. raysur

raysur Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2008
    So. Cal.
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I love the dirty wheels. It gives your car so much character. Thanks for the pictures.

5. teveo

teveo Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2005
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Trond Vidar
    That's the way to go!

6. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    So nice to see a boxer being used, and appreciated in a way that moderns simply can't touch.
    Weather is getting nippy in Ct, prefect for Bbs. Took mine out early this am for a few hours of backroads..
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

ralfabco and dinogt4guy like this.
  7. bosman

bosman Rookie

Oct 3, 2014
    Harmelen
    Thanks for the positive comments. I've always admired how good some people are in keeping their cars spotlessly clean and in perfect condition, and keeping the mileage low, as not to harm the value. But that's just not my thing, I find more joy in using my cars. In our little group we don't pamper our cars, we drive them hard, but don't take shortcuts on the maintenance. I always find it amazing that we can do these trips in cars that are 30-40-50 years old, without any problems. This was the first time I used a Ferrari for such a trip, but surely not the last time!

dinogt4guy, 2dinos and bernieb like this.
  8. mexicruiser

mexicruiser Karting

Aug 28, 2012
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Beautiful scenery, beautiful cars, congratulations!

9. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
  10. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    That sounds like a wonderful trip, in a wonderful car!

11. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Drove mine for 4 or 5 hours today, it even got wet, the horror.
    It was a great day, wish we had some european mountain roads to play on for days.
    Still it was an excellent day, and maybe one of these days we can geta boxer group together and hit the mountains of NC.

The only problem is highway traffic populated by inatentive peopel driving crapbox suvs. Best to get off the highways.

71Satisfaction likes this.
  12. stevenschuh

stevenschuh Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2008
    Gibson Island, MD
    Full Name:
    Steve Schuh
  13. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Took your advise and took out my Boxer today. Did about 50+ miles. Partial freeway, partial semi winding hills. Just enjoyed it!

14. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    only 50 miles? so just doing a trip for not even 2 hours? but better than having a garage queen

15. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Yes, just a fun Saturday drive.
    Did the same today in the 550.
    Garage queens? Oh I have plenty of those too. ;)

turbo-joe likes this.
  16. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    so same like me :)
    too many cars and less time to enjoy all :(

ag512bbi likes this.
  17. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I participated in an autocross event at a local Motorsports park. It was actually a lot of fun. The slower speed turns we’re a challenge though.

18. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    My BBi is in perfect driving condition. By that I mean its cleanish looking but somewhat dusty a little cruddy, been in the rain and probably could use a cleaning sometime soon.
    in other words perfect for just driving about in with nary a thought, and unlikely to catch an eye cause its not all shiney.

19. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    thise cars are for driving and it makes sooooo much fun.
    in a couple of years, when we will be old and can not move/walk right anymore, then you can clean and polish and enjoy looking at the car :)

20. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

In the late 80's, I read about a guy in Germany who had been a Stuka pilot and survived, he was in his 80;s and still driving his boxer down the autbhan, he said it kept him sharp and young.

You defintely need to be sharp to drive a boxer with vigor, that keeps you young.

2dinos and turbo-joe like this.
  21. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    that is why I think that I will never sell my boxer as long as I can drive a car.
    the beast ( koenig competition ) I think I will sell one day - too dangerous to drive and acceleration is like a rocket - but it makes so much fun :) :)

pshoejberg likes this.
  22. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

Youre also fortunate to live somewhere where these cars can still be really used.
    In the USa realisticaly other than very short bursts speeds are below 100mph/160kmh.
    Therefore these cars are most fun here on mountain roads and backroads.

2dinos and turbo-joe like this.
  23. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    here in germany nearly all is restricted. even police is checking speed with radar in the top case of a scooter :( or in a dustbin :(
    and with a BB on the autobahn makes no fun - not fast enough
    best is to drive a BB as you write moutain and back roads also here in germany. sunday morning between 3am and 8 am, but be careful - motorcycles are also on the road at that time, and very fast.
    my competition is good for autobahn to go really fast, but the BB makes more fun

24. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

Such is the way of the world. Few big open roads left. Were fortunate in NW Ct to have some of the best backroads anywhere. The best season is early spring and now late fall. The air is cool and leaves off the trees so one can see through bends, plus few out and about early sunday. I also took a drive late sat afternoon because the golden sunlight at this time of the year and fall leaves is truly magic. For backroads the BB is plenty fast although my Louts elsie sets a far quicker pace due to the immediacy of its controlls its size and ability to pivot. Each is a different experince.

The lack of big open spaces is why I think a BBI works in a way a daytona does not. Same classic ferrari expreince but a BB is lots of fun on turns whereas my impression is a daytona is a high speed msisile for big sweepers and opens tretches, such roads dont effectively exist in the northern hemisphere anymore.
    Its also why the more modern cars work so well, cause a new ferrari works the same as a hyundai in most conditions, the price paid is its otherwise bland and 90+% never get DRIVEN.

Its why I think a BB will one day be discovered, when its all electric and people want charismatic ice cars that are fun. The types of roads that exist to excercise are going to be mountain roads where a Bb works, and yet its still quite the classic ferrari.

Another future classic imo is the current lambo hurricane, we wont see somehtign so wild again.
    For moderns as a ssedan the alfa Gulia is superb the new z06 vette may be ineteresting as well as porche Gt3, Gt4rs a mustang or two, gr yaris and alpine and thats about it.

71Satisfaction likes this.
  25. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    #25 71Satisfaction, Oct 26, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
    What a lovely experience, and photos. Thanks for sharing.
    Goes to show how enjoyable driving a classic car can be, how fun it is to bond and socialize around a lovely long drive in beautiful surroundings.

We are not BB owners, but a small group of locals get together for drives in their modern Porsche, Corvette , AMG and Fcars. I'm the only one with older cars - 1970s and 80s except the Aston. It is very rewarding at the end of the day, to hear the positive comments from the "modern" crowd, how well my classics perform. In addition to that, almost every summer I take a driving vacation with one of my sons in a car they choose. Canada, New England, Finger Lakes District. Usually 2 weeks. None of the classics have left us stranded or tired.

I used to live in Danbury, would do a lot of driving up in your area - Kent, Cornwall, Goshen, Norfolk, Litchfield .. very relaxing roads and views.

Cheers,
    - Art

PS - I too love your wheels blackened by brake dust! :D

turbo-joe and boxerman like this.