C8 Z06 | Page 18 | FerrariChat

C8 Z06

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by sainthoo, Jun 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Youre right, running the vette on track given its weight will be no bargain, even if you can drive it to the track.
    1.58's you were running are serious times in any car, thats great going.
    Im running just down into 2.,06's with my exige v6. Tires(hankook slicks at $1200) will last 3 days at the glen and pads ($600) last 5 days, rotors maybe 30 days. Thats about 500 per day in tires once you cost in mounting, $100 in pads and maybe another $100 in oils filters rotor allowance. Lets say $700, plus another $300 for race gas. Track day time $350, another $100 in gas for the truck to get there, $100 per day at seneca lodge. Lets call it $1500 per day. If you run a miata its maybe $500 less. I hear a Gt3 all in is more like 2500 per day when you factor it all.

A z06 if you're running the cup tires that will probably come with the car is probably going to eat close on $1000 in tires per day, gas $300 + pads rotors and cosumables, its seems liek its goign to be more than $1500 per day, more like your Gt3 $2000..
    If you want to run hoosiers they have to get there, Ive seen vettes and even a 06 Foird Gt with a hitch and tiny 2 wheeled trailer for tires and wheels. A mustang is going to more or less burn consumables at the same rate as the vette.

For me the Vette will be the florida fun car, I can use it on road mostly and drive to sebring a few days here and there over the winter. For the glenn, well that lotus is just getting faster and faster, nor do I believe any road car would feel as tight and direct as the track only lotus.

the holy grail is probably something like the dallara, sub 2000 lbs 350-400hp great aero/downforce, but prob not ideal for daily use on the interstate and its 250k, but speed will be epic and consumables relatively minimal.

Wikdstrate likes this.
  2. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

I hear you on the 458, but the pista despute the turbos has it all comming togtehr in so many other ways. Thats why i like the Hurricane, na mtoor love the looks and its a wild machine. No one is really tracking an exotic anyways.

A yaris would just be a cool backroad daily as woudl an alpine, plus I think theyre keepers.

Good to hear about the model Y, drove a freinds and was seriously impressed, yet the reviews are no so good.

3. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Youre thinkign Mach e. No elctric works on track for more than 2-3 laps.

the Mach 1 is basicaly a Gt350 (same suspesion and transmission etc)with the regular coyote V8, still its over 50K for a stang which seems a lot.

4. Wikdstrate

Wikdstrate Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Alec
    You should really consider a Wolf. They're like a much more reliable/faster version of a Radical. The Wolf GB08 has a Honda K20 4 cylinder engine in it so it only needs a refresh every 200hrs and they're cheap. You can buy a whole new K20 engine for $4,000. Runner costs are less than half of your Lotus (weighs 1,100 pounds and runs on pump gas) and it'll run a 1:45 lap at Watkins Glen all day long. A Wolf would outright embarrass a Porsche Cup Car at Watkins.

k wright likes this.
  5. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Tomorrow is the day. Its raining in LA today. Hopefully not by tomorrow morning. I'm planning on being there about 10 or so. Got my ticket.

6. Jonathan19

Jonathan19 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 13, 2017
    France
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    How many variants will there be? Some forums talk about several variants (standard Coupe/Roadster, Z07, Z07R)
    Any info before the big day?

MikeR397 likes this.
  7. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Where does one find a wolf

8. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Looking forwards to hearing your impression.

9. Wikdstrate

Wikdstrate Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Alec
    Motorsports Southwest

Ask for Dean, he's a great guy and a "straight shooter." No B.S.

http://motorsports-sw.com/site/

10. MikeR397

MikeR397 Formula 3

May 9, 2010
    SE Michigan
    I was thinking lambo v12 with that high pitch wail. The car itself to me is a 2023 version of the 458 speciale. I wish Ferrari would build their new version of the 458, but instead they want to play with v6 and turbos. In any event, I’m manufacturer agnostic and love a good car when I see it and this new Z06 is that, and at a fantastic price point. If I decide not to do a manual conversion on my 360, I’ll probably have a hard time justifying keeping it much longer.

11. MikeR397

MikeR397 Formula 3

May 9, 2010
    SE Michigan
    #436 MikeR397, Oct 25, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
    I have done 60+ track days in the last 4 years my GT350R on cup 2 tires at the 4 tracks in MI, Pitt Race, and Mid Ohio. There are ways to make the costs more palatable if you arnt getting paid to set lap times and just trying to have fun with some great people:

1. Tires - look for take offs or older date codes. I’ve used 5 year old 315/30/19 cup 2s and can’t tell a difference against newer dates (if they were stored properly). Also pp2 mustang uses my same fronts all around and cup 2 suck as road tires in rain so people resell cheap. Gonna be an issue with unique cup 2 R sizes on the z06, but at mid engine I am very confident you can get 6-7 track days before heat cycling or chording.

2. Pads. Oem I burned front pads in 5 days and rear in 8. Switched to raybeatos st43 $350 front and $200 for rear and fronts lasted 17 track days and rears have done 32 and still have 35% wear left.

3. Rotors. Take off the carbon if you have it and sell or save it. End of discussion is silly expensive to smoke carbon rotors and pads for track days and my mild st43 pads and steel rotors will lock abs and rip my face off in the 350R at 50% or less pedal pressure.

4. Gas - I’m lucky in the R I can fill up 3 five gallon jugs outside the track in my truck with liner removed (metal floor). Don’t overpay buying gas at the track.

5. warranty - this is a big one. With high track days you are gonna break ****. I’ve had a transmission fail, clutch, 4 starters, AC compressor, driveshaft bearing and few other things all covered by my nice extended 8yr Ford warranty. I’ll get the longest and best warranty Chevy will sell me for the z06 ;)

6. Brake fluid - I use SRF and did 22 track days in the relatively heavy Gt350R in a year and had zero pedal mush, ever, and I’m not easy on the brakes (but not a knucklehead braking too late either). $70 a diy year and you are good vs a shop charging $250.

7. Diy your own basic maintenance. I let Ford change my oil cause is cheaper than I cna do it and bc I use the warranty so much I’m happy for them to have my oil change history records. But brake work ect is easy to learn and do.

8. I do a lot of PCA club events and am a PCA member with my wife’s 14 Cayenne gts which saves a lot on track day fees so look for club memberships. Lotus club does similar around here

k wright, sigar and OzoneNorth like this.
  12. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Dyno run (without numbers)

Sounds more like 458 here

G. Pepper and k wright like this.
  13. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

1. you may be right about take off tires.

2. I cant think of any oem street pad that would remotely work on track. Im using cobalt xp4 sintered pads in a 2300lbs car and theyre great for 5 days I always have a spare set and swap out at the track as need be.

3 Rotors, we agree carbon rotors are pointless and a toal waste of $. It will be inetrestign to see if we can get the z07 option in etrms of suspesion and aero without carbon or pointless Cf wheels.

4. gas, all depends on the amount of track time you run per day, Im easily burning 6-8 gals every 30-40 mins in an open track session and will go out 3-5 times in a day. Yes youre right its expensive to buy at the track. But on a hot day its simply better to run 100 octane, esp ina supercharged car, maybe the Na cars are easier in this regard. But Im currently using 20-30 gallons per day.

5. Warranty, I dont think about it, the lotus has not burned clutch or anything major is 6k track miles. But yes a chevy or ford you want that warranty cause they do go bang, that was certainly true with Gt350s' tracked and not, and it was more than true with the c7 z06.

6 I found SRF to be spongy for my tastes. I really like the endless race fluid, I also change fluid in spring and then midway through the drivign season. Never had fade or anything spongy. All my fluids are DIY. I do hear that the vette trasnaxle may not be so DIY. Possibly because I use great fluids and change often my two trackable cars burn no oil Ive never had a major mechanical issue. The transmission syncros all work great too.

7 . I DIY pretty much evrything, have a lift at home. Oil I use Motul single ester, it goes 3-4 days between changes, same with filter, transmission I tend to do at the same time as engine oil, I use redline Mt90. The air filter is a foam one I clean every two days.

8. From what I've seen the PCA at the Glenn s also around $350. I do coachign for the lotus club so those track days are free, but my desire to coach is very student dependant.

Yes if one does no totaly push the car and just having some fun consumables costs can drop. Take off tires sounds liek a great plan, cause thats the single biggest expense. But the reality for me is Im out there to do better each time, learn more get quicker and 3-4hrs on track in a day is going to burn up a lot of car.

that wolf idea makes more sense.

k wright likes this.
  14. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

Sounds great

k wright likes this.
  15. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

The reveal starts in about 5 minutes right? I signed up with Henna Chevrolet yesterday, number 65 on the list. The guy says it may take a few years though, and clarified they might get 10 a year since it's a high volume dealer. I probably won't be able to do anything like spec it out and place the order for a year or two, but at least I'm on there. I'm really stoked about this car though. Will fill the 458 void, and I get to keep my F430.

k wright likes this.
  16. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    670 HP @ 8400 rpm :cool: :D

k wright, Jonathan19, Jo Sta7 and 3 others like this.
  17. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    omg omg omg!
    and sounds like tearing silk fabric

k wright, MikeR397 and VAF84 like this.
  18. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Beat me to it- holy cow.
    0-60, 2.6

k wright likes this.
  19. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

Didn't take long... I have to have one. That silver with the red is gorgeous, and what else can you say about the sound. They lines flow better on the Z06 than the regular C8. Never in my life did I think I'd want a Corvette this bad. This is how I felt when I wanted to get my first Ferrari and would listen incessantly to videos of the 355, 360, 430, 458.

k wright and MikeR397 like this.
  20. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    8600 rpm

21. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    im in love with it

k wright and VAF84 like this.
  22. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    good night gt4rs. this sounds better than 458 so forget about turbos

k wright, MikeR397 and VAF84 like this.
  23. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Z07 drops 40# unsprung weight.

24. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    with Z07 package and optional $$$ carbon fiber wheels.

k wright, MikeR397 and sainthoo like this.
  25. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Summer 2022, I was thinking late fall/winter

k wright, Jonathan19 and VAF84 like this.