Tell me the stories of your worst (speeding) tickets to comfort me | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Tell me the stories of your worst (speeding) tickets to comfort me

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by duxz360, Oct 21, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 32 Ford

32 Ford Karting

Jan 31, 2021
    vancouver
    Full Name:
    Mike McGowan
    Sharing horror stories of youth and speed is something us older guys should share with the younger generation. Too many bad things happen driving at excessive speed on public roads. Happens quick and happens very expectantly. At least on a race track there is some control over what is on the road in front of you. Like no one pulls out in front of you, there is no unexpected debris on the road, the pavement is suitable for high speeds, everyone is at the relative same speed, etc, etc.

My youth included some dumb decision that I would never do now, I lived and learn. A few of the tamer ones were: running a speed trap on a secluded hiway in my new Vette, I figured I would see how fast this thing would go. Pinned it to 222KPH. They didn't catch me.
    Rally racing a buddy in his NSX, me in my Vette, down the hiway, over the bridge, through the stop signs and popped by the cops. He was going to throw the book at both of us. Came back to the cars and said this is your lucky day, I gotta go!
    Racing in North Carolina. Went to get some parts. Going way too fast on a country road in a rental car. I will never forget that cops response " Boy, we throw people in jail for going that fast in these parts" He let me off with a warning.
    So keep the speed on the track,

71Satisfaction likes this.
  2. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Our roads simply are not designed to go that fast....the autobahn in Germany is. The engineering in that roadway is facinating. Banked corners, ultraflat pavement all designed for speed. Our roads are a deathtrap at those speeds.
    I'm sure you've learned your lesson.....

paulchua likes this.
  3. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Our highways are........ Our LCD* drivers aren't.

* Lowest-Common-Denominator, because competence, responsibility, and standards are mean/elitist/cruel/????

slingblade and VAF84 like this.
  4. buhareb

buhareb Rookie

Dec 19, 2020
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Bu Hareb
    Camera caught me doing 250km/h on a Lexus GS430 on Abu Dhabi Highway. Still pending and unpaid since 2006.
    The fine is not much, around 55$ or so, but to get it cleared (at the time) i needed to go infront of judge and likely sentenced for prison for a week or so and maybe sometime for community service!
    Now its different for very high speed ticket, the car will be impounded for 2 months+ very heavy fine and some black points on the driving license.

5. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    That was actually a GREAT outcome for your recklessness. You could have killed someone.

Matt

6. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    My friend passed a CHP doing 90mph. After being pulled over, he asked my friend "didn't your Dad tell you not to pass a police officer " my friend said "No, he didn't think I was that stupid ". The officer started laughing and actually gave him a warning

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

paulchua, Loxo, westernti and 5 others like this.
  7. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
  8. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Makes me glad that I live in the Midwest!

VAF84 likes this.
  9. Borrow’d Mine

Borrow’d Mine Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2019
    Florida
    Hopefully you’ve had a vasectomy for many years

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

10. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Avoided the knife

11. 96redLT4

96redLT4 Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Almost hard to believe the OP here. Seems like it would take a long time and a lot of road to hit 170 much less to slow down from that speed with a cop behind you.

12. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    A friend was driving his first Porsche Turbo on an open highway, so he opened it up. Tagged at well over 100. Cop asked him why he was going so fast.
    "Empty highway. Porsche Turbo. Wouldn't you?"
    Got a laughing warning.

paulchua, LVP488 and Texas Forever like this.
  13. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    Residential neighborhood, somewhat fast, but not 170 MPH fast. Only luck that no one was killed in their bed, but a house destroyed.

14. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Pick one and start…

Texas Forever likes this.
  15. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Especially in the dark…

paulchua likes this.
  16. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    The warnings are better stories. I received a warning after doing 150 mph

Island Time and Thecadster like this.
  17. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    A story that would peak my interest would be one where exotic car ownership with 15 or 20 tickets shops quotes for car insurance.

To the OP. You sound like a slow learner. Wish guys like you were required to ride with either an ambulance crew or the corner to every one of these high speed accident scenes. View first hand the destruction of families forever changed because of your (avoidable) actions. Wouldn’t surprise me at all to be reading about you in the near future.

paulchua likes this.
  18. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    "Good news is that fortunately the "speed measurement device" was not calibrated properly and the officer wasn't wearing his required glasses/contacts which made the speed of my car seem far larger than it actually was.... that combined with the car being a rare and loud sight where I live made him confused and he misjudged the speed"

I don't know about you guys, but there is something very suspect here. I don't know where the OP lives, but how do you get a speeding ticket on a Thursday (or was it Wednesday?:confused:) night and by Saturday it is adjudicated? :rolleyes:

paulchua, jag-oo-r, eagle911 and 4 others like this.
  19. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I mean, I get 170 on certain roads. But in a residential area? How did you even get that much runway?

What residential area has that much straight road?

VAF84 likes this.
  20. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    The best ticket I ever got was literally in front of Enzo Ferrari's house. I kept that. All the funnier that the road I was on was called "Paul Ferrari" (that's the street name in front of Enzo's house.)

Very suitable for framing.

Hahaha

Attached Files:

Loxo, westernti, pdxjim488 and 8 others like this.
  21. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I have always remembered advice I was given very early in my driving career.

Imagine driving down the road and a little kid runs out of nowhere right in front of you. There’s nothing you can do, you hit and kill the kid.

If you were doing the speed limit, it’s a horrible, tragic accident.

If you were speeding, you’re going to jail.

paulchua, Loxo, EastMemphis and 3 others like this.
  22. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    Reminder. We still have rules here about attacking other users. It's one thing to disapprove of a user's actions and remind him of the potential consequences of his actions, it's another to attack the user personally.

paulchua, Loxo and 71Satisfaction like this.
  23. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

Personally, I agree it sounds suspect. 0-120mph goes by quickly, but my top speed has been about 150ish on the back straight at COTA, and in the time and space it took to get there, I don't see how getting to 170 is possible in a residential area without a suicidal level of recklessness. Much less a 35mph zone. Then again I only have an F430, maybe the FF is that much faster.

I've got a handful of speeding stories, but less so these days. Working in rural areas helps! Here's a couple.

When I was about 18, I found myself front row on a 3 lane access road late at night, when another modified car like mine rolled up to a stop next to me. I remember someone honking behind me which I thought was for encouragement :rolleyes:. Light turned green, and we gunned it. Won the race, but I had not realized APD was a car behind me. I got pulled over; the other guy kind of slipped off, and got lucky they didn't go after him. Got myself an exhibition of acceleration ticket, but I was mortified that my car would be impounded.

Got another one in Houston driving my Cayman S, from a constable that said he "paced" me from the access road as I was speeding down I-10's empty six lane highway in the middle of the night. I know he didn't, but hard to argue. To make it a little worse, I informed him I had a gun in the car (I have a CHL). He asked for the gun, so I passed it to him in its holster, and he set it on the roof of my car. However, he didn't place it properly and it slipped off the roof, down the back window, and onto the floor. Gave the car a little scratch, and he still gave me the ticket.

One of my stories on when things can go wrong came from my high school days. Unfortunately, some of my friends impulsive and reckless, two in particular were heavy offenders; but I tended to just ride a long. I was supposed to ride in car A. Driver of car A kept screwing around with me by scooting up every time I reached for the handle, so I walked to car B to get in the back seat. Finally, A convinced me to come back, so I got in car. As we drove to our destination the two drivers kept screwing around racing each other. Car A was smoking B, but this time as car A let off the gas, Car B decided to keep pushing and fly past us, but he did this as we approached a long curve on the road. He lost control spun backwards and crashed into a ditch. Luckily every one was fine, but the back seat was touching the front. I was "this close" to having become a sandwich. We were very lucky that no one rode in his back seat.

ZF123 and Texas Forever like this.
  24. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    My first ticket was for speeding and no license at 14 yrs old on my motorcycle. It was 40 in a 25. The sheriff made me walk it a mile home

25. bernieb

bernieb Karting

Apr 16, 2007
    Alberta Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernard J Bonertz
    That sheriff was no dummy...the lesson you got was valuable at that early point in your life. He gave you time to think about what you had done and why...too bad our world doesn't work like that very often anymore.

paulchua likes this.