boxer market? | Page 11 | FerrariChat

boxer market?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by ferraripete, Jul 14, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Its tire sizes for the aftermarket wheels were running.
    275 /40/17 rears 25.7
    225 45 17 front 25
    or 225/59/17 front 25.9
    0r 235/45/17 25.3

I got all these numbers from the tire size calculator on the net. Im sure different brands tire pressure etc alter these a bit.

On my car I have 275/40/17 rears and I think 275 is a great width for the rear, it pretty much eliminates the ass comming out and to the ectent it does its pretty controllable. I have 245.45/17 fronts and IMo theyre too wide and the steering is heavy, not worse than a BBI but far from the beautiful steering I expeinced on newmans Koning which had the 215/15 fronts. So next time Im going 225 fronts or maybe 235.

The seats on boxer will be the lmiting factor long before modern rubber really looses grip so imo beautiful steering and having the safety/controll of amore planted rear is the way to go. Possibly modern shocks and springs would alter body lean, but these cars have a nice ride once you get rid of the TRXs and are a joy as is.
    The other upgrade which is more extensive is pistons and cams, I rode in one that had that done and it was simply far stronger in midrange and up top.

A friend bought a 930 turbo recently, which when we were young was along with a Bb and countach THE car. He was underwhelmed by its sub 300hp in the modern context.

Im not into restomods or loosing the character of an older car. In a world of Singer porches it seems that boxers and 308's can be optimized to reach their full potential without the drawbacks wrought upon these cars as rudimentary emissions came in during the 70's and 80's.

So a BBi with wheels to run reasonable modern tires, and an otherwise stock looking motor with pistons and cams will truly transform the car and expand the way it drives without loosing any of its essence. Put the stock wheels back on and it could still win a concors. We change exhausts for better sounds, especialy on a BBI which 4 canister system always sounded corked, why not optimse the rest. Probably make the boxer more desireable, certainly more fun to drive, as you know with your koning which is optimsed. Its not as though there is any modern you can buy which would be a reolacement for a boxer or do what it dioes.
    There is no reason a boxer shouldnt have 288 performance.

2. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

#252 dwhite, Oct 9, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
    Yep I have 255 rear and 245 front and have also contemplated changing out the fronts to 225.

Here is the setup I think would work great on the Group 4 wheels: "8 front, "9 rear. Conti extreme contact sport summer.

Screw all this talk about tires, Sean I thought you were still in FL. When are we going for a blast?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

boxerman and sherpa23 like this.
  3. johnaz

johnaz Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2009
    Carefree, AZ/Anchorage, Alaska
    Full Name:
    John Schwamm
    This has gone a long way off Boxer market info?
    John

33guana likes this.
  4. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

#254 dwhite, Oct 9, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
    Yes it has. Just another typically wandering Ferrarichat thread. You've been here long enough to know that's exactly how they run. :)

Some Boxer market info. I saw one sell for $400+K. They are way under valued and if I did not already own one I would buy one tomorrow.

sherpa23 likes this.
  5. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Took a ride today with the ferrari club, I think we were the oldest car there. Secondary flowing roads are a BB forte. My freind along for the ride comented on how good/compliant the ride is. Modern cars are way stiffer, maybe too stiff chasing metrics.

Some other observations, these cars are hot, way better on a cool cold day. A BBi has no problem just rolling along slow through towns or in traffic, these are conditions that are a fact of modern life. 2,3,4 gears are epic. I dont know how many hours we drove today, maybe 4, and it used the greater part of a tank.

Dave Im back in 10 days, lets plan a run for then.

6. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Sounds good. Enjoy FL. We should be down sometime in November. I'll meet you in the vette, it's stupid fun.

7. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    I’ll be in Vero Beach in November. Maybe I’ll even have my 512bbi with me.

8. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I’m thinking to bring my bbi next year once we settle in.There are two bbs in I k ow of already in the new hood Im Stuart

betwen is all I can see a boxerpalooza taking place. Or maybe we’ll all have to get vettes.

9. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Well I’m just going there for a weekend. But Boxerpalooza sounds fun.

10. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    from what i can see happening in auctions and sales of various cars in the Ferrari matrix, Boxers are very much undervalued.
    the latest dino sales prices, along with the way some of the moderns are being valued, shows me that boxers should be a lot closer to $500k than $200k.

turbo-joe likes this.
  11. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Well maybe I'll bring my Boxer down. You have room in your garage if I buy a lift. ;-)

Yeah, Vettes. AC, power steering, stupid fast and when the cops are alerted that there is a nut in a corvette doing 120 on I95, they can't nab you because there are so many in FL.

12. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Tis the way its always been, and no one can say why. Clearly the laws of supply and demmand apply. Bottom line imo most people just find a boxer to hard to drive,

13. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Yep, today is low 90's, not a good time in a boxer then. Fl does not have imo great boxer roads.
    Vettes yeah, perfect territory for them.
    Saw someone in a an alfa 4c rolling down a1a today and I thought what a pointless car for florida.
    Theres a reason for all those mustancgs challegners and vettes, everyhting is a near straight line theres lots of traffic lights off the highway, on the highways how fast can you go for how long.
    I also noticed on the ride down in my tundra that these days the cops from virginia south give pickups a free passage.

I have heard thjere are some good roads out okechobee way.

But for speed in flordiia imo youre talking a fast boat.

Last fclub drive 10 days ago backroads of NY state, no one was going faster than the BBi, it was also the oldest car there, lots of fun, but when it was time to drive back to Ct on the highway with the usual sunday afternoon traffic and inattentive drivers the boxer was simply no fun, thats where the modern stuff shines.

Then when we got back I drove my freinds tesla model Y with dual motors. The steering was really good and the power smooth and plentiful. Ice cars are dinosaurs, but in time some of them will be revered for the sheer experince they impart and what they evike, the boxer will be one of those. #0 years from now, can you imagine the experince a boxer will impart, from the way it goes to how it looks.

Meanwhile how to plan a yearly boxer palooza. Dave I should be back up north soon. Lets plan that drive.

14. angemana

angemana Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 20, 2021
    Full Name:
    Ange Mana
    Can you please help me, what the value of 365 please ? And what to look for ?

15. John Peterson

John Peterson Karting

Nov 17, 2003
    Montpelier, VT
    Full Name:
    John M. Peterson
    RE: Boxer tires. Just catching up here. Currently...I've been running 275/40/17 on the rears and 245/45/17 on the fronts. My car is currently in for the "BIG $ervice" and needs new tires as well. After reading all the comments...I'm thinking that I'll change to the 225/45/17 tires for the fronts. The Boxer as all of you well know is hard enough to turn at very low speed w/o power steering! Thank God for no power steering on these wonderful cars, but the 225s would make that much easier as well as being "kinder on the road" with pavement grooves, etc.

I've been privileged to have been the care-taker of this '83 BBi since '86. Definitely the LOVE of my automotive life...Dr. John

boxerman likes this.
  16. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    why you use the 17" and not the 15 " rims?
    I have front 9 J x 15 ( 225/50 )and rear 11 J x 15 ( 345/35 ) and an absolutely great handling

17. Capt. Rich

Capt. Rich Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2008
    Palm City, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Richard Baumgart
    There was an 84 BBi coming to auction at the RM Sotheby's Las Vegas auction today,the 24th. It appears to have been pulled. Does anyone know what the cicumstances are?

18. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

What rims are you using, where do we get them.

19. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
  20. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Hi Romano,

I looked into getting the BB rims for my car as I always liked the look of them and figured on running avons. But the damn rims just kept getting more and more expensive from around $10K a set to closer to $20K, I passed. You can get repos but they are not identical to the originals, so I went with "17 group 4s to get real rubber under the car.

turbo-joe, sherpa23 and boxerman like this.
  21. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    WOW
    getting so much expensive - terrible
    have not known this
    but I also have a set of gotti 3 pieces rims in 15 " diameter for a BB, the rest I not know. just now I stay in hospital but when I hopefully get out I will take some photos from them
    I think I will put those then ion my car to save the other expensive ones

22. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    33guana likes this.
  23. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed