Engine out? LOL | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Engine out? LOL

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by CorvetteGuy, Oct 24, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DBomb117

DBomb117 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2019
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Dimitriy
    ****, I pulled the engine/trans assembly in my 3000gt VR4 to do the oil pump, water pump and timing belt on the 4 cam v-6. The 360 so far has been easier and more thought out. 360s with the upgraded tcu do a lot better on wear, should be able to get 30-60k on a clutch depending on driving habits, which is effectively almost regular car territory. When I used to be a tech at Hyundai we had a customer burn out a clutch on an Elantra at 60k and that repair bill was still $2-3k, a good Indy should be able to do a 360 clutch for about $5k.

Sounds like owning any performance car isn’t in the cards for the OP.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

paulchua likes this.
  2. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    Ferraris have changed greatly in recent years. No timing belts,no valve adjustments,DCT means rare clutch relacements,transaxle fluid replacement seldom needed,no more annual coolant changes,etc.

3. Jb-Slow

Jb-Slow Karting

May 11, 2020
    Service prices only matter if you can't do it yourself. 360 belts are a cake walk.

4. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    There's a saying, "It's not whether you can afford to buy a Ferrari, it's whether you can afford to maintain a Ferrari."

alex likes this.
  5. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    "If you have to ask, you can't afford it" :)

DBomb117 and jm2 like this.
  6. Admiral Goodwrench

Admiral Goodwrench Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    What is all this business about timing belts and chains. My old Ferrari motor used gears for camshaft timing, generator, distributors and all three oil pumps - basically no maintenance required...

Best regards,

Robert

Image Unavailable, Please Login

technom3, tomberlin, JimEakin and 9 others like this.
  7. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    wow! Keep up the great work!

8. DBomb117

DBomb117 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2019
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Dimitriy
    paulchua likes this.
  9. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Sites like this live and die by "clicks and views" - troll threads provide LOTS of both ;)

Besides - if it weren't for trolls, what else would we have to do for fun? :D:D

Jedi

technom3 likes this.
  10. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
  11. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    Meh, these cars (Testarossa, 348, 355) were actually designed to have the engine taken out: a few lines disconnected, a few sub frame bolts removed, an appropriate lift and the thing slides out easily. Again, the engineers at Ferrari specifically designed the engine support to be easily separated from the rest of the body.

However, engine-out services are expensive (especially in this country) because of the "Ferrari tax" that accompanies today's ownership experience of these unique cars. Really, there is no reason why an engine-out/belt service should cost as many thousands of dollars as most shops charge these days. There are VERY reputable shops around that routinely do this service for a fraction of what most other shops charge (let alone Ferrari dealers).

Really, $4k-$5K is the most a shop should charge for it (and more than a few of them do!) - and that is for a job well done.

12. CorvetteGuy

CorvetteGuy Rookie

Oct 22, 2021
    Full Name:
    Mark Stuart
    I ended up getting a Tesla model 3 performance. These things are amazing!

13. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Congrats and I wish you good luck with it.

BTW, how much does a battery out service cost?

14. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Dropping the engine out of a TR, 348,355 or in car 360 belt change is not all that bad. I would much rather drop a 355 engine then do a 612 belt service in car.

Obviously you have easier cars to do, 456, 550 ,575, 308, 328, 360 etc. But at the end of the day.. to do it right, they all take approx the same amount of time.

TheMayor and NioMarvin63 like this.
  15. versamil

versamil Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2013
    Gaston, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Brian Healy
    From complaining about a service on a Testarossa, to exclaiming all the exotic cars you're looking at and then you buy a Tesla?
    A Tesla may be a quick car, but at that point there's NOTHING else comparable. What a boring car to look at and drive in other than acceleration.

I have my Testarossa engine out right now and it's EASY to remove. Having the engine out makes every aspect of servicing the car so much easier. Sometimes what seems like the hard way to do a service is actually the easy way. A car that's thirty years old is certainly a different car than a brand new Tesla. At thirty years old, your service is NOT just changing belts, Having the engine out makes everything so much easier. Your initial post seems pretty ignorant. Who goes from a TR to wanting a convertible and gated shifter to a boring Tesla. Are you for real?

brookliner7 and BJK like this.
  16. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    :eek: o_O :confused: ooooo-k :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

17. NioMarvin63

NioMarvin63 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 4, 2020
    Full Name:
    Nion Marvin
    "One of the most common hurdles associated with the maintenance of most older Ferraris is the need (and expense) to replace the timing belt every 30,000 miles or 5 years. For most models prior to and including the F355 (1995-1998), replacing the timing belt(s) requires that the power plant be completely removed and reinserted into the engine bay. This, in turn, commands high labor costs with vehicle inspection report that in most cases bring the total price tag for this job to an average of $6,000-$8,000 – even higher if other little items are tackled while the engine is out. Beginning with the 360 model engine removal isn't required for this service, for the belts can be replaced with the engine in site. Later models beginning with the F430 no longer use timing belts, but utilize timing chains with a completely different maintenance regimen and requirements." I hope this article helps you)

18. CorvetteGuy

CorvetteGuy Rookie

Oct 22, 2021
    Full Name:
    Mark Stuart
    #43 CorvetteGuy, Oct 26, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2021

By the sounds of it you might not be able to drive your cars for much longer with all the new emissions regulations coming out.

Denmark: plans to ban gasoline vehicles by 2030, and hybrids by 2035.

https://www.coltura.org/world-gasoline-phaseouts

The Tesla is loads of fun... amazing acceleration. I don't know why I've waited so long to make the switch to EV. I will not be buying any more gas vehicles...probably trade the Lambo in for a Tesla Roadster in a few years.

19. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    And yet you have to drain and remove your radiator in order to access your single camshaft…

:)

Matt

technom3 likes this.
  20. CorvetteGuy

CorvetteGuy Rookie

Oct 22, 2021
    Full Name:
    Mark Stuart
    if you read my previous post it's all a moot point now anyway.

21. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Wise man once said, Don't feed the troll.

vrsurgeon, BJK, energy88 and 2 others like this.
  22. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    How else are we going to get rocker-arm grease monkeys to stroll in, decide that overhead camshafts are too persnickety, and then settle for a Tesla?

:)

Matt

23. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    And not even the fast(quick?) Tesla!

24. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Having been one ^^ for 4+ decades, I somehow doubt OP even knows what “rocker-arm* grease monkeys” are.

*One (exhaust) in my PB Roadster engine ('53 Hemi) broke few weeks ago at 65 MPH, creating an interesting driving experience, not to mention the noise push rod made trying to peck its way through the valve cover. I've been trying to reach whoever rebuilt it 40+ years & 50K+ miles ago to see if there's any extended warranty left, but not holding my breath.

tonyc likes this.
  25. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Never settle for less just because it's available!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

technom3 and jm2 like this.