Replacing spark plugs, wires, caps, extenders | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Replacing spark plugs, wires, caps, extenders

Discussion in '308/328' started by keysmatt, Nov 3, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jlc308

jlc308 Karting

Jul 11, 2009
    Irvine CA
    If someone can show me how to attach a pdf file to this site, then I can show you step by step of how I eliminated the extenders completely, or PM me your e mail and I can send pdf to anyone directly.

2. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Just a note that took me a few times to learn...for doing the forward bank don't try reaching it from under the deck lid. Take the roof off and stand inside the car and you should be able to reach all 4 plugs fairly easily. It works for me at least and cut the time to do those 4 dramatically.

Also if replacing the wires be sure to check how the wires are installed in the caps. Because of the unique configuration of the stock caps it can take a bit of fiddling to get the contact spike to properly pierce the wire. Then verify resistance and continuity with a voltmeter.

3. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    People seem to make a lot of fuss about "bad" extenders. They really are a pretty solid, nearly bulletproof affaire. You can check resistance across them, but even old ones seem to act just as new ones. Your cracked one will likely be the only one needing to be replaced. I purchased a few spare new extenders and compared resistances to my original 8 extenders that were 37 years old and they were all essentially identical. Just brush down the contact points and reinstall them. Build your wires just as OEM and hook them up.

4. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert

Available here Brian;

http://m.summitracing.com/search/part-type/spark-plug-wire-sleeving

Also used to be carried by Kingsborne. Number sets also available from both.

5. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    They dont change resistance usually but they can burn holes through and cause arcing to the plug well.

6. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    Agreed. That's why they need to be checked. IMO, they are a use til failure part. Or, if you're not about originality, or something close, just ditch them entirely, as they are an extra link in the system that can cause potential problems.

7. F308fan

F308fan Karting

May 7, 2017
    Peoria, AZ
    Full Name:
    Tony Pacini
    Oh my goodness! SO MUCH EASIER! Not to mention much, much, quicker. Thanks for the tip!

Jdubbya likes this.
  8. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Wow, that's a flash from the past. 7 years ago. :) Glad it helped. :D

absostone likes this.