another 360 dead battery question | FerrariChat

another 360 dead battery question

Discussion in '360/430' started by Husker, Oct 24, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    So I accidentally allowed my 360 battery to go completely dead. I think the battery is likely fine, but to re-charge it, is it best to remove it completely from the footwell, or is it OK to plug a charger up directly do it while connected to the car?

2. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    plug your tender for a while

see if it starts to excite the battery

after an hour try the lights, etc.

that can indicate if it is responding.

if so just leave it on

If no go remove it to charge it

don' try charging from an external source while in place though

DBomb117 and Husker like this.
  3. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    thank you!

4. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    the easy way is always the 1st approach

give it a try

If a fairly new battery then it should come to life but may take a day or two

5. ItalGerBrit

ItalGerBrit Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    Do not charge from an external source while in place? What does that mean?

6. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    don't attempt to use a full external battery charger with battery connected in place

you will fry the instrument panel electronics

take the battery out

7. Dr123

Dr123 Karting

Oct 24, 2021
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    David RANDALL
    As a newbi why are Ferrari battery’s so bad ? Placed deposit on f8 and believe need to charge every day???

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    FIAAM makes Ferrari's batteries.

That is a division of Magnetti-Marelli

They just don't have what it takes to make good batteries.

Regardless of the model you should keep a tender on the battery when not in use.

Could be with that F8 that the battery is gonzo or close to it.

Batteries lose it after 3 years and maybe will go to 4.

Like tires, should change them at least every 4 years

9. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Depends who you believe - can't say there's any evidence here from real owners and I doubt your dealer would agree

10. Dr123

Dr123 Karting

Oct 24, 2021
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    David RANDALL
    Thanks. Can Any experienced f8 owners give an idea on how often battery needs connected to the trickle charger

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

11. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    I think it just let mine sit a bit long. It would be the same with any other car battery in any car.

Dr123 likes this.
  12. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I replace all the batteries in my cars and my wife's car at 3-4 year intervals. Every since did this never have start or electrical issues in any of my cars.

While you CAN recharge a completely discharged battery in the car with the terminals disconnected, just replace a completely discharged battery. What you will see from now (or rather won't see) is the alternator will try just a little bit harder to keep the battery charged. This will wear the diode pack down OR overheat the connection on the back of the alternator (big wire). In a few years you're going to complain about electrical wonkiness (what could these lights be? my F1 is funky) or if lucky, you'll need to rebuild the alternator.

Just wait..

Need4Spd and Husker like this.
  13. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Look in the 458/488/F8 section (not 360/430) for multiple existing answers but I'd guess the plan should be put on charger when not in use else it will flatten in 1-2 weeks

14. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Seems the issue is more with the lack of driving to keep the battery topped up, than anything particularly wrong with the batteries used. Even my newer BMW M550iX will see the main battery significantly drained if not driven or attached to a battery tender after two to three weeks. Just a lot of stuff actively draining the battery, even when the car is "off" or "asleep".

While I really don't have put my BMW and Ferrari on a battery tender until the two or three week point (which doesn't happen that often) it is easier to simply leave them on a battery tender whenever they are not being driven. I don't even think about doing this with my daily driven car...

One note: How I monitor or know my battery might be low is through the use of a Bluetooth battery monitor like this one:
    Battery Monitor II Bluetooth 4.0 IOS Andriod Battery Tester **USA Shipping** | eBay
    It does have a slight draw of its own, about 1ma. It will ping your phone with an update anytime you are within about 20 to 30ft of the car.
    What is unique about it, is it will record the voltage under starting (a sort of load test) each time you start the car. Its an early indicator of your battery becoming weak, even when using a battery tender. I noticed a drop last year, so I replaced the battery on my 430 Scuderia (it was about 6.5 years old I think).

15. redcarz

redcarz Rookie

Apr 17, 2007
    The alarm system drains the s%#t out of the battery

f355spider likes this.
  16. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I park in a secure garage, so I don't set my alarm, and I note my 430 Scuderia battery can go from 100% down to 90% in three weeks time. Its a one and a half year old Optima Red Top 34R.
    That's the reason I just always connect up the battery tender when I park it. Its easy to do with the factory jack under the passenger side of the dash. When you use the factory jack, there is a starter interrupt and symbol on the dash that you are plugged in that prevents you from driving off while connected

THINKFAST likes this.
  17. THINKFAST

THINKFAST Karting

Jan 13, 2011
    Earth, mostly ...
    The above Is great advice. Dealer recommended to do this when I purchased car.