Tell me the stories of your worst (speeding) tickets to comfort me | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Tell me the stories of your worst (speeding) tickets to comfort me

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by duxz360, Oct 21, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    lol. your name says it all. way2fast

Johno_888 likes this.
  2. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    That was me back in 2012 (since then I only drive with cruise control on public roads): https://www.tendanceouest.com/actualite-36657-202km-h-au-lieu-de-90
    Fortunately, officially it never happened because there was a mistake in the police record (and I had a good lawyer)... I was without my license and my car for 5 months before the final judgement though.

3. Alexcle

Alexcle Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 2, 2018
    Full Name:
    Alex D

Wow- even w a FF. It takes a lot of road to hit 170. I can’t hit that on back stretch of mid ohio… or 155 on nelsons. Are you sure 170??

I got out of a ticket once by paying to replace my speedometer saying it was faulty and it read 60 when going over 89.

I just crashed on a. Closed track at 100mph and flipped. Imagine if you lost control on residential at 170!

racing/speeding on a race track is safer and cheaper than public road. Let alone more responsible. BTW- got lazy didn’t get track insurance. Out of pocket total..
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Tulammo762

Tulammo762 Karting

Sep 21, 2021

Been there done that. Even posted details in a public forum. The judge found that comical and wished me a long and happy literary career.

Don't sweat it.

5. Pro Bono

Pro Bono Rookie

Aug 30, 2020
    There are two possibilities here:

1. You're a spotty 14 year old who's been playing too much Grand Auto Theft, and it's just fantasy, in which case you can be forgiven.

2. You're actually telling the truth, in which case you've proved yourself as an idiot twice over; once by driving like a drugged-up maniac; and twice by coming on this forum expecting to receive praise.

You have about as much self-awareness as the average slug. Your car should be impounded, you should go to jail, and you should lose your licence for a very long time.

You may be able to buy your way out of all of that, but you'll never have enough money to buy respect.

6. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    #56 Turbopanzer, Oct 26, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
    Since you asked......1991...Turbopanzer....Suzuki GXR1000...144 in a 65. When asked by judge as to why someone would do such a thing, my response was stupidity knows no limits! Large fine and the threat that if I tried a stunt like that again I would see days in a place that offers poor dining, rather dismal lighting and a taking warm showers with rather large individuals!

Never again. The race track is cheaper. But....to be fair...Suzuki builds one kick ass motorcycle. And I did look good doing it!!!!

7. Macks7

Macks7 Rookie

Oct 25, 2017
    Los Angeles CA
    Full Name:
    Max S.

Attached Files:

Texas Forever likes this.
  8. Drldcohen

Drldcohen Rookie

Mar 20, 2016
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Larry
    No sympathy here. They need to throw the book at you. A residential area. Really

AREDSTALLION and paulchua like this.
  9. mavila

mavila Rookie

Jun 13, 2019
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    mavila
    I got very lucky once. For the winter break during college, I decided that instead of flying to Orlando to visit relatives, I would accompany a friend who was going to make the drive from New Jersey in his Trans Am so he wouldn't have to go solo. He lived in Sanford, which is a couple of towns over. We were driving straight through, stopping only for restroom breaks, gas, and food. It was about a 17-hour drive. At around 2:00 am or so, we were driving through South Carolina on I-95. We were speeding - nothing excessive - but speeding nonetheless. I'd guess we were probably doing 80-85 mph, and the limit was probably 65 mph. A cruiser going in the other direction spotted us, started crossing the median, and turned on the lights.

Unfortunately, my friend decided he couldn't afford a ticket, and since we just happened to be passing an exit, turned off his lights and quickly veered right to exit the highway. I was shocked and too stunned to say anything. To his dismay, this was a very rural part of South Carolina, and there was nothing around at the exit - no buildings, gas stations, shops, or any other "cover." Moreover, given the time, there were no other cars driving around to lose ourselves amidst. He simply pulled into the front lawn of some farmhouse and stopped. The police car saw us make the exit and followed. It drove right past us the first time, but about a quarter mile down the road, it turned around and came back. Sure enough, the officer saw us the second time and pulled into the grass behind us. Within a minute or two, two other cars pulled up, including a police Mustang.

To provide some additional context - my friend is black. I'm Asian, but frequently mistaken for Mexican. This is South Carolina, and he just ran from the cops. I was scared out of my mind. I thought it was highly likely we would be taken to jail, and entirely possible that the outcome could be even worse. We were extremely lucky. The 4 police officers that showed up asked us a bunch of questions, searched the car, and fortunately decided that 2 college students driving home for the holiday break could be let off with a couple of tickets.

To this day, and especially given so many recent events, I am thankful we didn't get thrown in jail or even killed. I obviously laid into my friend after we were let go to continue our drive and still remind him of that event to this day, many years later.

And not to sound like a broken record echoing what has already been said, save the speed for the track. Even though I don't get out as often as I used to, I still try to get to Laguna Seca and Infineon a couple of times a year.

ZF123, Way2fast and Nospinzone like this.
  10. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

OUCH. Sorry to hear that, what led to the wreck?

11. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    170 in a 35 mph zone?

You're more lucky there weren't any kids crossing the street or grandma's pulling out from their driveways.

Not cool. Maybe this is a lesson learned.

paulchua likes this.
  12. Boy Wonder

Boy Wonder Karting

May 23, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Fred Wolf
    Gee's i don't know where to start, i think this guy is sorry he ever posted his total screw-up
    anything can happen at that speed or even as slow as 60 mph. I think he felt it was funny and wanted some assurances from us.
    Where i travel, deer and other wildlife can appear at any time , not to mention birds,, what about kids and bike riders?

well, i hope he learned something

paulchua and alex like this.
  13. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Stupid without the cops being involved.

"I bet you can't make that turn doing 100" my brother said as I exited from the 826 onto Bird Road driving my Opel Manta. I took the bet and successfully made it onto Bird Road only to lose it, just barely miss a utility pole to catch the guy wire, ripping off the left front fender. At that point, we were spinning and waiting for the car to stop. Another 100 feet later, I hit an abandoned car that had been there for months (this was the wild west 1980's in Miami), bounced off and ended up somehow going down the road again. We could easily have been killed if I had hit the utility pole. Did I learn anything? Nope. At 21, I already knew it all.

The car was wrecked on three sides but we rebuilt it back from two spare Manta's. A few months later, it was later totalled out again by a Marielito who ran a red light in a stolen Firebird, putting me in the hospital for a week. I loved the Mantas. They were the closest I could get to a Dino, at the time the epitome of automotive lust.

14. fogey1

fogey1 Rookie

Jan 31, 2009
    1967. I-71 in northern Ohio on Saturday at ~ 03:00. I was driving a brand-new Pontiac GTO with buddies from Ft. Dix home to Columbus for the weekend. Hadn't seen a car in either direction for 20+ miles. I'd been at about 120MPH for most of those miles when I saw tail lights way ahead. But I wasn't gaining fast so he was really moving, too. The third time I flashed my lights I saw the reflective Ohio Highway Patrol markings.

Oops, but ... in for a penny ... he already had me if he wanted me, so I passed him. He was going at least 100, and I was extremely surprised not to be lit up. Finished the trip w/out incident.

I pondered this for years, trying to figure out a why, until I told the story, and some of my speculations, to a retired New York State Trooper at a AG/LEO meeting on odometer fraud. His instant reply was that the Ohio trooper had been to visit his girlfriend or whatever and was "probably 100 miles out of his patrol area" so it would been worth his job to chase or even use the radio. That made sense.

tantumaude likes this.
  15. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I don’t believe you. I think you are trying to impress. You 14 years old?
    There is no way you leave that scene not in handcuffs in the back of a police car.
    If it is true I hope the court throws the maximum penalty at you.
    If you ever do something that stupid again I hope you’re the only one killed.

paulchua and IloveGT like this.
  16. Alexcle

Alexcle Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 2, 2018
    Full Name:
    Alex D
    turn in a little too fast or early. 100 mph hit wall then flipped.

VAF84 likes this.
  17. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I think Forest Gump said it best... But I'm not going to post it as I don't want to get in trouble with Yin. :D

Suffice to say it wasn't the brightest idea to do 5X the legal limit. OH, and in the middle of the night. Good news is the OP is half a world away from us and we're unlikely to see him on our streets anytime soon.

D

paulchua likes this.
  18. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    I don't believe this story. Conservatively you would need at least .5 miles maybe more. In what residential street do you have that?

just silly....100 mph would have made for a better post and equally stupid behavior.

paulchua and VAF84 like this.
  19. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Last speeding ticket I got was in 2005. It was supposed to be my last drive in the Maranello. (Turns out it wasn't, but I digress.) I had completed my run down my favorite country racer road on one early Sunday morning. It felt so good, I decided to double back, which turns out to be a mistake. Coming out of out a hot corner into a long straight, I goosed it. Bam, the V1 goes off. I just pulled over and turned it off. The first thing the deputy dawg says is, "You have fast reactions."

He wrote me for just under 25 over. It could have been worse, a lot worse.

VAF84 likes this.
  20. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Asking for 'speeding bonding' in this place is pretty useless. Most Ferrari drivers are doing 5 under, making sure their hair looks right and calling ahead to make sure they have the valet spot pole position.... and even though they bought high performance cars, they are only used to go to coffee and impress 12-17 year old boys. Ask me how I know..... I founded the FCA Desert region, was the first regional director and ran it for over 15 years.

Stories like yours bring out the extra self righteous. So, don't feel bad.

170 in a 35 is an 'interesting' call...... especially in the fast wagon. I have my share of infractions, but for some reason i haven't garnered a legendary ticket in an exotic..... and my moto has always been, "A day under 100mph is like a day without sunshine"! Good luck in your search to get out of this. Hopefully, you weren't in Switzerland.

Here's a visit with a 'fan' for a little bonding...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

BJK and VAF84 like this.
  21. nickorette

nickorette Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2017
    Canada
    Time and place. I never open up the cars unless on back country roads that I know well. Even then I'm not going too crazy, I play at 7 or 8 tenths.

paulchua likes this.
  22. Boy Wonder

Boy Wonder Karting

May 23, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Fred Wolf
    the fastest i ever went* was 225 MPH , more or less, That was at 13,000 ' with a 50 mph tailwind perfectly legal

also about 120 mph on a race track, also perfectly legal

* not counting travel in commercial airline

VAF84 likes this.
  23. Circle K

Circle K Karting

Dec 21, 2017
    Full Name:
    KC
    Luckily no one got hurt. If you don’t have a record, tell the court you were possessed cuz no one in their right mind would do that

VAF84 likes this.
  24. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    no it actually brought other people like OP. When you became someone's girlfriend in jail, someone else will be having an awesome day with sunshine.

Self righteous? is that what you really called the rest of us? why are you promoting this kind of retarded behavior by name calling those who disagree the op's behavior?

paulchua, Pro Bono and Texas Forever like this.
  25. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I got two tickets in on the same day once... both were for less than 15mph over the speed limit.

both in an 85 308:

1st one; Ga state trooper on a two lane highway, got me at 63 in a 55.... gave me too fast for conditions think it was $185
    2nd ... Chatham co. sherrif at 9;30 PM on same night ... got me at 28mph in a 15mph zone!!! $300 ticket!!! your friendly Ga. speed trap.

I was going to a track day at Robeling road, and was running late so took a side road - Ga trooper got me - loved the car and said hey, I have you on video so I have to give you something but this is the least costly - and no points... nice guy.

2nd guy - I was looking for a road to my hotel that i missed had turned around and gone through Pooler Ga. ... the road was 45, then 35, then 25... all of a sudden 15mph! guy was sitting behind a huge willow tree with moss... pulled me over. never saw the sign as it was covered up by more moss and a tree... if you have ever driven a 308 at night - its like two candles in pickle jars... guy was a complete jerk, made me get out of the car, lectured me how out of town guys have to respect their laws, don't like fancy fast cars coming here... so I don't ever go there any more.

Texas Forever likes this.