Just sold my Ferrari to buy more TSLA | Page 64 | FerrariChat

Just sold my Ferrari to buy more TSLA

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by JERRYZ, Feb 11, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. azzurribaggio

azzurribaggio Formula Junior

Last May I started following this thread and decided you know what I'm going head first into TSLA. So I made a significant purchase knowing I was holding onto this thing for at least 3-5 years before deciding what to do.

Well let me tell you I couldn't be happier with that decision. Thanks JERRYZ!!!

Of course during my ownership the stock did take a nose dive BUT the fact I knew I am in this for the long haul I didn't really stress at all.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

rob lay, paulchua, JERRYZ and 2 others like this.
  2. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    azzurribaggio Congratultations!!!! I have far too many friends and family that got in and then got scared out of TSLA. It is not for the faint of heart. Good for you that you kept your convictions and you are enjoying the ride. As for myself, still holding. I am borrowing against my TSLA shares for a new home because I still do not want to sell.

3. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Interesting - how do you borrow against shared held? Does such a loan type exist or u are just getting a mortgage ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Most brokerages will let you borrow against your portfolio. The rate's may not be the greatest and there can be issues if you borrow a significant amount and the market goes down, but it is very convenient and easy to get. Here's some info on Etrade's: https://us.etrade.com/bank/line-of-credit

Natkingcolebasket69 and paulchua like this.
  5. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Congrats!!! Happy for you!!!

Though folks that hang on to it have some steel cajones.

6. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    In it for the long haul.

Agree that fundamentals are off.

P/E in stratosphere.

I think what we’re seeing is a retail stock like Apple which has legs of its own not related to the company financials. Tulips? Maybe.

My friend was in and out with a quick 150k profit last year. If he held until now, 10m.

Oh well.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  7. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Well, you will never go broke taking profits! With TSLA's volatility it is a great stock for trading or playing options if you’re into that type of market activity. I did that sort of thing several years ago and it was too much like a real job staying on top of the market and all your option positions every day. Not the sort of thing I wanted to do in retirement.

The problem with doing margin loans on TSLA is its volatility, if you borrow a lot on the stock and it goes down significantly you will have a margin call or the brokerage will sell out your position to cover the margin call. This may not come at a convenient time cash flow or tax wise, so best not borrow much on volatile stocks to avoid this situation.

JERRYZ and ScottS like this.
  8. FerrariTexas

FerrariTexas Karting

Aug 31, 2009
    Austin
    Tesla is an appliance. Ferrari is an automobile. And so much more.

paulchua likes this.
  9. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Look at Lucid. Lcid bought yesterday, up 23% today

10. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    true, I agree Tesla is not exotic. I prefer Ferrari obviously for the sense of occasion. Tesla is not targeting Ferrari though. It's like saying a Toyota Sienna is not a Ferrari. yes, it's not.

11. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    There are different ways to borrow against stock: mortgages are a conventional but arduous way to borrow (underwriters consider your assets when deciding how much to loan you); margin is far easier and more direct but also dangerous. I've lost a lot of Tesla shares of stock over the years by using margin to borrow $ to buy more stock and options. This happened to me during Tesla's rather "flat" stretch of performance until about 2 years ago. LOC's are also a popular lending path.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  12. azzurribaggio

13. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Past performance is not a guarantee of future results.

Short of a general economic collapse I don't see how you can reasonable imagine TSLA falling to under $100 a share. There is a ridiculous amount of pent up demand for their cars, and they've managed to push margins to huge levels. They're building two massive factories that will double their capacity, and they've shown an ability to spin up a new factory very quickly.

Is the stock overpriced at its current levels? Undoubtly, but going down below $100 is just silly. Interestingly that's still double what Jerry paid assuming he bought in Feb 2014.

BJK likes this.
  14. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
  15. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
  16. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    The energy density of their cell is 150-160 Wh/kg with Tesla at 260 Wh/kg so it would take 70% more battery weight for the same energy. Not really feasible at current energy density to make the change. Aluminum is 5x denser than Lithium so space wouldn't be an issue, though.

17. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Interesting thanks for that..

18. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Wow, up another $200 closing in $1,300

To the folks that told me to buy. You were all right.

To the folks that made fun of you all, why so quiet now?

I'm pretty sure at this point the haters have tripled down.

There comes a point folks rather go down with the ship than admit error.

Why? I have no clue, it's not like the naysayers shorted or anything.

The very strange climate we're in.

JERRYZ likes this.
  19. azzurribaggio

Human nature......I'm going to ask for my profits in schillings and fill up my pool with them while I go for a dip...

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

JERRYZ likes this.
  20. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
  21. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Overall, I do think we're in a Bubble, just my opinion.

BUT:

Just a thought experiment:

Say Tesla were to go down 95% tomorrow.

I would be still up 50% from when @JERRYZ called it here.

Yet folks still pile on em' - I agree human nature is a funny thing.

What can I say? I just like giving folks credit where it's due.

JERRYZ likes this.
  22. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

#1597 Natkingcolebasket69, Nov 4, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2021
    I wonder where does it stabilize?
    Just like other stocks it has made millionaires and more, funny that if u go thé tesla parking lot u Will see that plenty employees buy exotics and not just tesla.

I personally love them for commuting and performance but used to have a S and sold
    It because it’s just too common and reminds me of the ford t or a traban: all the freaking same.

I am guessing the stock will soon reach plateau within a couple years as merceds, Ford, bmw, gm are all coming up with better cars (I said cars) and now tesla is doing a pilot to let others use their infrastructure.

Just a wild guess. Not shorting the stock though.

paulchua likes this.
  23. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I don't know, it just cracks me up folks still don't give @JERRYZ or Musk their due.

They won. If they don't see the impact Tesla has made on every single automotive manufacturer, they really have their heads in the sand.

Hell, even Ferrari is making a 100% all-electric vehicle.

I'm not saying naysayers have to LIKE IT. But maybe at least show some humility and admit it?

It's like a Houston Asterisk fan saying Atlanta Braves are not Champions today because they have to win in perpetuity.

Makes no sense. Hell, I don't like the Braves, but I'm not about to say they are not winners.

JERRYZ likes this.
  24. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Burry, Woods, etc, are all biased with their calls. They have a reason to say what they do and probably because they have a position (both do/did). I usually ignore those supposed "experts" that people call them when they give their opinions on stocks they hold or are shorting...

paulchua likes this.
  25. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I agree with you sir!