355 - Engine Rebuild - Was supposed to only be a major | Page 4 | FerrariChat

355 Engine Rebuild - Was supposed to only be a major

Discussion in '348/355' started by Normal Guy Supercar, Oct 19, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Not sure that that has to do with anything, but I noticed you did not dispute it. We get the business model Adam, just be honest about it, it disingenuous we all know it. Just say "Ok you guys are right, so what.. were getting paid, tough luck you bastages ha ha!" :)

2. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    #77 WATSON, Oct 26, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
    Nice first post....register at F-Chat throw insults. You must be a real nice guy.

Look, just admit you are making a silly, sensationalistic video that belittle's the car many of us here own.

To me, I see your videos as cringe worthy nonsense....but it generates traffic and makes you guys money. Cool.

But don't show up here expecting the people your are insulting to be on board with your nonsense.

Oh, welcome to F-chat, you're making a hell of a first impression.....I bet you are a blast at parties.

thorn, Qavion and AdamNGSC like this.
  3. Normal Guy Supercar

BANNED

Sep 25, 2016
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Daniel Hurlbert
    I would admit you're right if I thought that would make y'all keep to yourselves, but you and I both know you can't stop yourself. I dare you to just ignore my posts / videos here. That goes to all of you haters. Can you resist that urge? Watson?

But for now, I'll just bring y'all more videos. Enjoy. Resist. The. Urge.

brogenville and JohnnyTT like this.
  4. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    Yes, I posted on another guide related thread about GM's guide problem from the same time frame. They claimed in their technical service bulletin that root cause analysis showed improper installation at the factory. And the complaint was excessive oil consumption.

5. chris1866

chris1866 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Chris
    5:20.....that had to be on purpose, right? Like...there's no way that wasn't on purpose....

6. Normal Guy Supercar

BANNED

Sep 25, 2016
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Daniel Hurlbert
    No I simply misspoke. Try recoding yourself for extended periods of time, you'll be shocked at how often you don't say what you meant to say.

7. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    How do the piston skirts and cylinder liners look? How many miles on this car? You guys should remove a few valve spring retainers and springs and show the guide wear. Also please tell Ron Jeremy not to use a 1/4" drive ratchet to remove rod bolts.

Qavion likes this.
  8. Normal Guy Supercar

BANNED

Sep 25, 2016
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Daniel Hurlbert
    That's part of the plan. This was just disassembly. We will verify the condition before putting anything back together.

Targatime likes this.
  9. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    I'll admit to not watching and all my friends know too...so much so they send me screen vids of the particularly awful moments. I'm sure that sending me vids violates the rebroadcast rights of Major League Baseball or something...

I needed a new hobby when I found myself yelling at you as you just kept turning that spark plug in that guy's 348. (BTW, the best spark plug socket for them is in the factory toolkit, you didn't have to drive home or whatever...)

Good luck with your endeavors!

sjd

10. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    RESIST THE URGE! @WATSON

sjd

WATSON likes this.
  11. Normal Guy Supercar

BANNED

Sep 25, 2016
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Daniel Hurlbert
    I've got money riding on this, don't let me down now!

Targatime likes this.
  12. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan

Who took that bet? Haha

WATSON likes this.
  13. Normal Guy Supercar

BANNED

Sep 25, 2016
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Daniel Hurlbert
    Someone who's going to lose money... Or as Josh would say, someone with an "unreal sense of optimism." LOL!

14. Normal Guy Supercar

BANNED

Sep 25, 2016
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Daniel Hurlbert
    We're going to do something pretty cool tomorrow night at 8PM Central... Josh will join me at The Howard and we're going to wrench on the F355 engine. Hopefully we will get the crank out and have it down to the block. Figured some of you may want to join us during the Livestream.

jimmym and rob lay like this.
  15. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    For all of you thinking that NGSC is making huge money on YouTube revenue (because everyone on YouTube are millionaires and movie stars...LOL) the following video should open your eyes:

EastMemphis likes this.
  16. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #91 Ferrarium, Oct 28, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2021
    Well the goal is to grow and make increasing revenue over time. The goal is to get there. Not everyone gets there of course. I am sure he really enjoys it and is passionate about it of course. What better than a job you love. Not disparaging that many would envy it I suppose. If you make money while at it great. But one thing they don't do is try and not make money. Selling stuff is a great benefit.

But one has to try first to get there, the goal is not to loose money or break even I am would suppose.

Doug DeMuro
    https://gb.youtubers.me/doug-demuro/youtube-estimated-earnings

17. Normal Guy Supercar

BANNED

Sep 25, 2016
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Daniel Hurlbert
    That's not my goal, or I should say I really don't want to rely on YouTube to make all my money. Plus, achieving that level of success on YouTube is extremely rare. I'm not delusional enough to think my channel could ever get that large. That is like saying go into software, look at Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos. You're cherry picking the top of the list. I prefer realistic goals that are actually obtainable.

My goals with YouTube is pretty simple, drive people to my website, entertain, and sometimes educate. I want to send people to my website because then they can buy parts for their cars and I do whatever I can to give them the lowest prices and high levels of customer satisfaction. I wanted to eliminate some of the "Ferrari Tax" which I still think is absurd.

Plus, I enjoy making the videos. It's fun for me, I get to learn lots of new things, and enjoy experiences I wouldn't otherwise. There are many people that genuinely enjoy my videos even though there's a very vocal minority here that don't. I don't expect everyone to get my style or sense of humor or adventurous spirit to just give it a try even if I don't know what I'm doing. But being in start ups for my entire career forced me to do many things I had no idea how to accomplish. So I'm really not afraid to try and fail. Failure to me is simply a way of learning how to do it better next time.

YouTube also has helped me grow tremendously on a personal level. I'm a very introverted person, I hate being in the spotlight, and I was never good at public speaking (arguably I'm still working on these skills a lot). This forced me to improve those skills and evolve. I like to challenge myself and this was the biggest challenge I've ever faced.

Plus now I get to follow what I'm passionate about. I always loved cars and wanted to have a career working with cars. But I ended up in software doing start ups for over 20 years. It was challenging and stressful, but I ended up making good money and enjoyed it. But I always had that itch. Now I get to do exactly what I want. The cost is I make significantly less than I did in software, and I have to accept that every day, someone on the internet is going to hate on me.

On the plus side, I get to play with Ferraris every day.

stoked_7, bjwhite, Norseman and 7 others like this.
  18. Phils430DIY

Phils430DIY Rookie

Sep 5, 2019
    Wales UK
    Full Name:
    Phil M
    Very well said Daniel, just one improvement to your strip-down and rebuilds. Please please show the ware and faults/problems this engine is being stripped down to correct.

19. Normal Guy Supercar

BANNED

Sep 25, 2016
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Daniel Hurlbert
    It's in the plan. Step 1 was tear down. Step 2 is verification. Step 3 is rebuild.

Josh sent me a spreadsheet this morning of all the items were going to measure and check. We will probably have that in our next video. Tonight's livestream we're going to try and get the crank out and have it down to the block, so the last of the tear down.

20. Normal Guy Supercar

BANNED

Sep 25, 2016
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Daniel Hurlbert
    Live in only a few minutes.

21. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Not directed at you, but that is the problem with our society today. That's like a school kid saying , " I know I can get a C in math so why bother to try for an A." Settling for mediocrity is accepting failure.

Should have done a leak down on the block before you pulled the pistons.

chris1866, WATSON and tatry68 like this.
  22. Normal Guy Supercar

BANNED

Sep 25, 2016
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Daniel Hurlbert
    I'm not saying you set easy goals at all. I'm saying realistic. They should be extremely difficult to obtain otherwise they don't pose a challenge.

23. Normal Guy Supercar

BANNED

Sep 25, 2016
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Daniel Hurlbert
    Many of you were asking about measurements and inspecting the condition of the engine.. Here you go. Tomorrow's video we start measuring parts but this video we discuss what we will measure.

jimmym and Qavion like this.
  24. Normal Guy Supercar

BANNED

Sep 25, 2016
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Daniel Hurlbert
    First video of taking measurements - we check the cylinder liners and deck. Unfortunately, it would appear the cylinder liners are hosed. :(
    We just filmed measuring the crank and crank bearings yesterday, so I will have that video soon. Then we're going to do the rods and rod bearings, and finally the heads/valves. Then it's off to the machine shop.

jimmym, Qavion and Targatime like this.
  25. Jh348

Jh348 Karting

Sep 5, 2015
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Jesse Heinola
    Your mech doesnt know how to read dial gauge, and you just dont set bore gauges using verniers. Nice project tho

Rifledriver and Qavion like this.