308 Questions | FerrariChat

308 Questions

Discussion in '308/328' started by knueven7, Mar 3, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. knueven7

knueven7 Rookie

Mar 2, 2004
    I am thinking about trying to find a good 308 to buy, but I have a couple of questions I'd like to ask. A red 308 quattrovalve with tan interior and targa top is number one on the list. What is a reasonable price for a well taken care of quattro? How about a well taken care of carbed 308? What is the performance difference between the QV and the earlier carb versions? I am pretty good with working on cars are 308's difficult to maintain myself? What kind of performance upgrades are available for the carbed 308's and is it frowned upon to upgrade your 308? I think that's about it. If there's anything else I should know or if you have any good 308 research sites/references please let me know. Thanks.

2. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I'll send you an email with some helpful information tonight...

3. Eric308gtsiqv

Eric308gtsiqv Formula 3

Nov 26, 2001
    Orange Park, Florida
    Full Name:
    Eric Eiland
    I'm sort of partial to the 308 QV's for obvious reasons :); but the carbed, injected, and the QV versions all have their following. If you're great at working on cars in general, then the 308 would be easily within your grasp -- especially in the routine maintenance department.

With regards to perfomance upgrades, there are many owners here who have done mild to wild mods to their 308's...including turbo. A good site for finding / purchasing such items would be www.nicksforzaferrari.com for starters.

Can't really comment on the performance differences between carbed / QV 308's because I've never had the opportunity to drive a carbed version. In past discussions, some owners say that they are on par with one another for the most part. Others tend to avoid the '81-'82 injected models, citing that they are a little down on power and have the speedos that read to 85 mph. Personally, I think all the 308's are great!

Pricewise, you should be able to find a very nice example QV in the mid 30's -- and, for perhaps less. Asking prices, esp. at the dealers, seem to be in the high 30's and low to mid 40's. I've noticed that the QV prices seem to be slowly climbing a little too. BTW, Martin w/ Cavallino Motors (F-Chat member and sponsor) has a very nice '83 QV black on black for sale -- here's the link: http://www.miamioffices4rent.com/cavallino/invent/2_3_308gts.htm

A good starting point for research and buyers guide would be www.ferrari308.com -- be sure to check out the links under the "Resources" section. Hope this helps...even though it's a little bit brief.

GREG OWENS: not to stray off topic here, but did you get my PM and e-mail that I sent ya' regarding the TR's ? Just checking.

4. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    As far as performance goes...
    The 76 and early 77 glass body cars have the best performance of the 308 series due in part to the lighter bodies, less emissions gear, hotter cams.

Then the 77 steel body cars, which had the same emissions gear and cams,
    but were 200lbs heavier than the fiberglass cars.

The 83, 84, and 85 QV chimes in next in the performance race between the 308 series. By going to 4 valves per cylinder Ferrari was able to get performance figures to near the earlier cars.

The 78, and then the 79 year models fall into the next performance rung,
    as added emissions equipment, and smaller cams dropped performance levels.

And finally the 80, 81, and 82 year models.
    1980 was the last year carb 308s came off the line, and the switch was made to FI, which coupled with the further tightening of emissions standards led to the worst performance in the 308 line.

Not trying to start a mine is better because it is this year model war...
    Just the facts!

5. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I'll keep my '77 steel carb! Thanks!

200#s, huh? I threw out the spare, changed the exhaust to Ansa, and date a thin girl.

I think I've made that deficit up, man! Let's rumble! (which is what the 20 year old Ansa does, fo' sure!)

Well, I did add two 5lb fire extinguishers, after the first header blow out!

6. knueven7

knueven7 Rookie

Mar 2, 2004
    Does anyone have any good pics of a 1977 308? I have been trying to compare the differences visually between the models, but I can't find any good pics of a '77. Also, thanks for all the helpful info. I've been reading all day :)

7. Ksullender

Ksullender Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2003
    USA
    I owned an 85 Euro GTS QV. I would recommend the 84-85 QV and euro. Why euro? Lower profile bumpers, lighter in weight, not as prone to overheating, and slightly faster. Red with tan is the most popular combo and is good if you ever resell and upgrade. QV's are great dependable 308's. I'd own another one. Expect to pay in the low to mid $30's from a private owner.

8. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I had a 78 carb 308 GTS, great car, but I think a QV with fuel injection would make a better "driver". Carbs can be a bit "cold blooded" and all, and the starting procedure is a bit more involved. A QV is just a more "modern" from a drivability standpoint. No hesitation in the corners either.

As stated previously, a nice QV can be had for mid thirties. 84-85 would be preferred, that is when they started actually rust proofing the panels. Not that they can't rust anyway. :)

9. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    There are so many visual differences its almost impossible to keep on top of it. The 76-77 us spec cars had a similar rear tail panel treatment as the euro cars but with four tips. The early euros had the single tip then later went to four. The 78-79 had a big (ugly in my opinion) rear muffler cover and different boxes behind the wheels. in 80 with the FI, they extended the protrusion of the rear bumper from that of the 76-early 80 US cars which also required a different muffler cover again. Not to mention the fillers above the rear bumper almost covering the entire top of the bumper as on the QV's. The euro QV's had a different tail panel/muffler arrangement again from the US spec cars which was also used on the 208 turbo (with different tips) piece which was also used on the injected 2 valve cars in euro trim. It goes on and on and on. its crazy. Marker lights are another story, as are signal lights, drysump if its a B in europe but wet if its an S. Why? Only enzo knows.

10. fvracing

fvracing Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Winnipeg
    Full Name:
    Pete
    #10 fvracing, Mar 3, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    Your car looks awesome in blue and while I like a GTS a lot the GTB's lines are much more beautiful!

12. fvracing

fvracing Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Winnipeg
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Thanks, its my wife's car. Was originally looking for a GTS but couldn't pass up this lowered beauty with a fresh rebuilt motor from FOW.

Pete

13. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    My profile should still have the picture of my '77 Euro 308 (I have never checked since the new software took over!). If not, send me an email and I will send you some picks.

I owned an '85 308 QV. I now have the '77 carb'd. I like the '77 better. A bit different engine sound, just as fast (or faster) and the nostalgic factor of a vintage, carb's 308, but you will be VERY happy with both cars!

14. jmillard308

jmillard308 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2003
    Perth West Oz
    Full Name:
    John Millard
    '76 Glass - different blue (Azzuro Met)

15. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Nice!

16. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    Is your wife's 308 a 77?
    The side view mirrors are not from a 77 year model...
    Just wondering.

Nice color!

17. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #17 BigTex, Mar 4, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Both those cars, note, have the Euro style lens at the turn indicators.
    US versions are solid yellow like mine, a simple revision often made by owner.

Note also the driving lights below the bumper in the grill. that's a variance.

I've asked on here before about an option on my car I've rarely (never) seen on a '77, check out my front 'nerf' bar!!!!! It's factory installed because it attaches thru the lower front valance.

It's great for parking blocks and curbs!

There's just no rules about options on these older cars, as stated above.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    1985 Euro 308GTS pics... Love the car, has the modded fuse block, headlight mod, dash light mod, reliable (knocking on wood) and has NEVER failed me... ever! Carbs would be nice, but the ever-changing temps/humidity of New England makes FI a better choice IMHO.

Enjoy the Drive,

Steven R. Rochlin

19. fvracing

fvracing Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Winnipeg
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Yes the car is a 77 but has had a few changes done to it by its various owners. Lowered 1 inch, aftermarket 16" rims, euro bumpers, extra fog lights, ansa exhaust, KN filters, recarro seats, stereo from hell. I have to say I love what the other owners have done.

Pete

20. branko

branko F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 17, 2003
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Branko Medenica
    I agree, but I am a little biased.

21. branko

branko F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 17, 2003
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Branko Medenica
    Love your tag!

22. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Branko,

Thanks :) The reason i chose that tag is because of seeing this video

http://216.130.176.127/Weeee(mov).swf

Just reminded me to ALWAYS be child-like in the joys of the Ferrari "experience" :)

Enjoy the Drive,

Steven R. Rochlin

23. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    Steven:

Could you describe what it took to get your engine compartment to look that good? Where did you find all of those braided hoses?

Awsome...

24. Tennlee

Tennlee Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2002
    Great Smoky Mountains
    Awesome pics Steven!

25. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    M. James,

The previous owner, Fchat member Jeff Edison who now has a Norwood turbo;ed 348, did the engine braided lines on the 308 and overall reconditioning. So the car arrived here in basically that manner. Since that picture the hoses/electrical has been further "cleaned up". Getting the engine clean, i suggest Simple Green and DO NOT pressure wash the engine as it can wreak havoc. Good cleaners from Zymol are also key IMHO. Cleaning brushes and lots of elbow grease plus micro fiber towels do the rest.

Am embarrassed to say she is dirty right now due to New England winter driving, but soon i will spent 16 hours + (two consecutive work days) doing a COMPLETE engine/wax strip down and "rebuilding" of the wax. Before winter set in she has many layers of hard wax laid down on her. i began detailing cars for $$$ at age 13 and made a very good living at it too.

FYI: she gets driven about 5k miles a year and i work at home. So those 5k miles are all for fun :) ..and my boss does not mind me spending DAYS detailing her in the spring. Upkeep from there is a piece of cake.

Enjoy the Drive,

Steven R. Rochlin

PS:TennLee, thank my friend.

PPS: My profile engine pic is below. Also, ALL light assemblies and emblems are NEW (complete assemblies, not just the lenses). Notice the even gaps on the hood/door/etc. Oh i could go on and on. But believe me, she gets DRIVEN and is NOT a garage queen by ANY stretch of the imagination :) :) :)