What’s a nice starter watch for a college grad? | FerrariChat

What’s a nice starter watch for a college grad?

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by Husker, Oct 28, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    My son will soon be graduating, and he’s lately become interested in a wristwatch. He wants one with a leather band. Certainly nothing in the Rolex category or probably even TAG. Is there a good looking watch that you guys recommend?

2. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
  3. NYFAIM

NYFAIM Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2015
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Howard R.
    I gave my son a Tag when he was 18, and then a Rolex when turned 21. Both were watches that I owned that I passed down to him.

I guess that's not much help :)

4. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    love the watches, but having “Shinola” on the face…I dunno. :D

5. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    I know you want the leather band type of watch . But these citizen eco drive divers watches are truly amazing for the money . You can also change the strap out to the "nato" style strap if he likes . It's a watch that looks the part and acts it as well . Two different models . I have the bn 2029
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

schumacherf2006 and Jdubbya like this.
  6. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Millionaire Next Door says Seiko.

7. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I thought I liked them when they came out for just that reason....someone would say I didn't know **** from shinola and I could just hold up my watch and say....Uh yes I do. :D

How much are you looking to spend? You said not Rolex or Tag, how about a nice Seiko or Bulova, both a lot less spendy. If you want to spend a little more but not Rolex more there are also brands like Tissot or Oris that make nice ones.

I don't spend that much on watches but have some fairly unique ones. I just bought this one but it's really thick and heavy, it's ok but I won't be wearing it all day every day.....it's definitely unique with an actual bronze case. Not gonna be for everyone though.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Husker likes this.
  8. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    that’s sharp.

9. DesertDawg

DesertDawg Eight Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 25, 2010
    The Desert
    Full Name:
    DesertDawg
    Obligatory...

JAM1 and Husker like this.
  10. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Thanks, I thought so and I like it. I also not long ago bought a Seiko Ice diver that I really like too....The Zelos was about $700 the Seiko closer to $900...There are SOOOO many choices out there from huge brands down to little micro brands like Zelos. Maybe take him shopping and see what he really likes the look and feel of.

This site has a lot of unique brands and stuff and is where I bought the Zelos. Seems like a good company and the owner and namesake is on youtube doing reviews of a lot of the watches they sell. https://teddybaldassarre.com/collections/watches?uff_wihxf8_collections=261289672797&page=5

11. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    If you (or perhaps your dad) have a watch to hand down, that is the best way to go.

(my nephew proudly wears my father's watch nowadays)

12. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Seiko makes some really nice watches. I have one. My dad used to love his Seikos (usually bought on his trips to Japan in the 1960s).

DesertDawg likes this.
  13. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    Hmm I think the lengths you go to in order to keep it out of enemy hands so you can give it to him are more important than the watch itself!

jsa330, Cigarzman, DBomb117 and 5 others like this.
  14. DesertDawg

Silver Subscribed

Jan 25, 2010
    The Desert
    Full Name:
    DesertDawg
    I agree... I had a nice, reasonably-priced Seiko (I think it was around $350 when I bought it, perhaps?) that lasted me roughly 30 years or thereabouts without even a hitch.

ryalex likes this.
  15. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    So in my experience there are watch guys, and non-watch guys. My brother is one that looks at his iPhone for the time.
    I contend that a good starter watch would get the attention of a watch guy, to have him say "what's that?". It would also be under $500 and stylish and quality.

I've always thought a nice Tissot Chronograph (I like the PRC 200 personally) is a good edition to any collection. As a first watch it's a nice swiss piece. As the collection grows it can become a Weekend watch. However IHMO nothing beats a Rolex or Omega IMHO even if used. Rolex always retains value.

https://www.tissotwatches.com/en-us/men.html
    https://www.tissotwatches.com/en-us/t1144171105700.html

Jdubbya likes this.
  16. Adamas

Adamas F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2012
    Out of town
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Yeah, but they'd also never give their imprimatur for a Ferrari, so do we really want to listen to those guys?

Mike

ronfrohock and GuyIncognito like this.
  17. DesertDawg

Silver Subscribed

Jan 25, 2010
    The Desert
    Full Name:
    DesertDawg
    @Husker, what about Raymond Weil? They make very good watches - quite a few models with leather bands - and priced anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand. I've had one myself for quite a long time, and no issues at all & yes, keeps correct time always.

18. dozzina

dozzina F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2005
    In a vortex
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I wear a titanium Citizen Eco Drive daily for the last 28 years, basically because I had a saltwater boat (yacht, actually , and as I pronounced it, it rhymed with hatchet. ;)) In spite of owning a couple of very nice VC watches. The titanium is impervious to corrosion, saltwater included. Are you after snob appeal, or durable functionality? As I simply DGAF about what others think, I wear the $100 watch normally. Mine has a full titanium band, as I tend to sweat where I live in PHX, and leather does not take well to that. A leather band will need "maintenance" or replacement occasionally.

19. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Hey we try and teach them good principles about buying quality and frugality

they might end up following our bad examples anyway but let’s not pay for that ;):D

20. poljav

poljav F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Pol J.
    ^^In the same category as Raymond Weil, look at Hamilton, Longines or Frederique Constant.

Pattyracer99 and wax like this.
  21. TheDuke

TheDuke Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2011
    Texas
    Hamilton, Tissot, Seiko would be my recommendations. They have some great looking watches and are all well established brands with histories. I think a Hamilton Khaki would be my pick and should keep you at or under $1k

Island Time likes this.
  22. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I have always liked & wanted a Longines Evidenza and the pieces in their "Master Collection" are well made and pretty sharp looking (my opinion) for the price. That said, even being a staunchly pro-mechanical watches as I am, I don't see how you could go wrong with a Citizen Eco Drive and that would be my suggestion... the Eco Drive.

For something a little more interesting take a look at the Junghans "Meister Chronoscope". It is a good timepiece with a very timeless design.

23. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I bought my son a Rolex Submariner in preparation for college graduation next May (hidden away in a safe place), but now I’m concerned it might make him a target for mugging. So I’m rethinking it, but not sure what to do. :(

MrMark and mikesufka like this.
  24. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    Sell it to me. That’s what you can do. ;)

Honestly, a little situational awareness goes a long way. When my spidy senses tingle, it goes in my pocket.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Wikdstrate and italiafan like this.
  25. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Be the one that mugs him.
    Lesson taught and everyone wins!

Jdubbya and italiafan like this.