458 - For those doing their own oil changes, what oil are you using? | FerrariChat

458 For those doing their own oil changes, what oil are you using?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Dragster, Oct 23, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dragster

Dragster Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    Hey everyone! Pennzoil Platinum Euro no longer has the Ferrari logo on the bottle and if you check their website, it says the recommended oil is now Platinum Racing or something like that. Unfortunately that oil doesn't seem to be available anywhere. Amazon says they carry the old bottle of Platinum Euro that has the logo on it, but I selected that for my order and received the new bottle anyway. In the 360/430 thread, someone emailed Pennzoil to see if the oil has actually been reformulated, but the response they received didn't specify. What oil is everyone using instead?

2. Dragster

Dragster Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    Anyone else doing their own oil changes?

3. DiamondDog

DiamondDog Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2021
    Orange County, CA
    Many local independent shops use Motul oil in S Cal

I use Motul in all of my Porsches. Could not be happier.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

4. kiryu

kiryu Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2016
    Los Angeles
    i use amsoil 5w-40 classic euro in my ferraris in 2021, before that I used pennsoil euro. During my last annual drain out after 2-3k miles, the oil still seem pretty clear and clean.
    For the gear oil, I used redline 75-90 ns

5. r6elmo

r6elmo Karting

Sep 12, 2010
    I doubt the Pennzoil oil is actually different from before. There likely was some agreement or sponsorship issue that caused the logo to be removed. I don't know this for sure, but that's my assumption. I would just continue to use the euro Pennzoil Platinum Euro

6. Dragster

Dragster Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    Does Ferrari state what specifications the oil needs to meet, besides simply the weight? Perhaps I missed it, but I didn't see anything in the owners manual other than the recommended weight.

Does anyone have experience with Red Line 5W-40?

7. SeattleStew

SeattleStew Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    I’d check what the formula was for pennsoil euro platinum and assume that’s what the requirement was. Keep in mind, when manufacturers recommend a specific brand, it’s because of a partnership contract. Most of the time I recommend mobil1 across the board. I’ve disassembled engines that have gone 250-300k miles using exclusively mobil1 on a regular change interval and it was remarkable the condition of everything.

I think diving into a forum dedicated to oil, or chatting with an engine builder would probably lead to the info you are after though.

8. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    @AEHaas is the FChat expert on oil. Maybe he will chime in.

9. AEHaas

AEHaas Formula 3

May 9, 2003
    Osprey, Florida
    Full Name:
    Ali E. Haas
    I use Renewable Lubricants Inc. 0W-30 grade in my current 812 SF and also used the same oil in my Enzo (sold after 15 years earlier this year).
    https://renewablelube.com/products/bio-synxtra-shp-0w20-pcmo

I also like Red Line oils. I used the 0W-20 in both my Maranello 575M and my wife's Murcielago.
    https://www.redlineoil.com/high-performance-motor-oil

For my Lincoln Navigator Truck, the RR Ghost and the Bentley Flying Spur W12s I use semi synthetic Ford Motorcraft 5W-20.

I am not driving on the track nor on the Autobahn so there is no need to use thicker grades for my applications.

Ali

10. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I continue to use the Pennzoil Platinum Euro, even though the Ferrari logo is missing. I just assumed that it is the same stuff, but some sort of sponsorship agreement expired. I may be wrong in assuming, but I can't imagine that they changed the formula, causing it to no longer be "certified"

11. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I use Royal Purple XPR 0W30 in the 488 Spider and XPR 5W40 in the Pista.

I use it because I have found it to foam the least which is super important, and looking at my logs, it runs about 5C cooler than the factory oil. Brilliant stuff.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Rexcat458 likes this.
  12. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    It's all about sponsorship. But do yourself a favour. Go for a spirited drive and pull your dipstick 30 minutes in and see if you get foam. I see this with Shell, Penzoil and a few others.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Need4Spd likes this.
  13. ilko

ilko Karting

Aug 20, 2008
    Liqui Moly 5W-40 Leichtlauf in the Porsches, AMG, and Ferrari. SoCal resident.

14. Dragster

Dragster Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    #14 Dragster, Dec 18, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2021
    I was thinking about going with Red Line 5W-40 for my 458, though Motul 8100 X-Cess gen2 5W-40 has also come up as recommended. Do you have any thoughts or experience here?

15. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    I ordered 12 quarts of Royal Purple at the recommendation of Mr. Co Pilota!

Anything recommended by Il Co Pilota or RayJohns…rest assured it is tried and tested and among the best around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Il Co-Pilota and Rexcat458 like this.
  16. AEHaas

AEHaas Formula 3

May 9, 2003
    Osprey, Florida
    Full Name:
    Ali E. Haas
    Again, you have to consider your application. I love Red Line motor oils, I have used the 0W30 in several Ferrari and Lamborghini autos showing excellent oil analysis reports. If I was using the car on the track then 0W40.

Ali