458 Brake Pad Wear Sensor? Only as a part of OEM Pads? | FerrariChat

458 Brake Pad Wear Sensor? Only as a part of OEM Pads?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by pfl, Feb 6, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pfl

pfl Karting

Jan 7, 2013
    So I called the dealer to get an understanding of this and basically it seems like the 458 brake pad sensors cannot be purchased separately and are only a part of the full OEM pads package. For those who want to run any aftermarket/more aggressive pads for 458, it seems like the "Brake Pads worn" warning will have to stay on.

Has anyone else had any experience about this? Can the light be reset only by dealer? My friend's car's light stayed on even after he erased all codes using OBDII scanner.

2. rlips

rlips Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2011
    New Jersey, USA
    we used to pull the sensors out our 997.2 gt3, cut the wire off about an inch off the connector and solder them together. Then plug the connector back in. Was able to fool the car to thinking all is ok.

Melvok likes this.
  3. Jason B

Jason B Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2006
    Hbg, PA
    Interesting

4. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    From around 2008+ the bmws were a total pain but you could buy sensors. This is oems trying to control your aftermarket purchase. You cannot fake out the bmw. You had to plug in good sensors turn off light with their scan tool and tue the sensor out of the way. On bmw I would rather wear out my pads tham my brake sensors. Bmw mil lights also go off with "TIME" or wear. thats extra suckage. Hope ferrari doesn't do that

5. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    As flips mentioned...just tie up the original sensors....or see if your dealer will give you any worn out ones and just cut the wires a couple inches from the plug and solder them together. A brake pad sensor is just a simple loop system...when the pad wears and the sensor wears...it opens the loop and triggers the light.

6. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
  7. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Any info on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    No. Just keep an eye on your pads. It's easy.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. Mafiaboy1975

Mafiaboy1975 Formula Junior

Aug 10, 2019
    South Africa
    Full Name:
    Mick
    I believe there are ones that fit the pad but the plug on the other end differs. I also believe you can clip the wire and fit your old plug onto the new wire.

I’m not sure where but I read that somewhere once when researching to replace my pads.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

10. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Yeah, you can do that. I have made an adapter that works like that. I have a small piece of wire with Fiat plug on one end, and a Bosch plug on the other. That makes it possible to use Porsche pad wear indicators. I just went away from it because the car still needs an indicator reset if the wire trips.

Just so much easier to eyeball the pads. I just take the indicators out of the pads and wind up the indicators with a zip tie.

11. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    I eyeball measure my pads after every track session. I just want a solution to get rid of the error message with aftermarket pads.