458/488 Brake Recall | FerrariChat

458/488 Brake Recall

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Hopeful, Oct 30, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Hopeful

Hopeful Karting

May 31, 2019
    Vero Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Tony M.
    Be aware that the NHTSA has issued a recall notice concerning the multitude of 458/488 brake failure issues that have been noted.

Attached Files:

Sultan_458, SAFE4NOW and Rrr1 like this.
  2. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

#2 Viperjoe, Oct 30, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2021
    Wow - I'm sure owners that experienced brake failure, and whose concerns fell on deaf ears, now at least feel partially vindicated.

docf likes this.
  3. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Will you screenshot the details so we dont have to download an app?

Curious, thanks!

Steve

4. jc1

jc1 Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2021
    Greenville, SC
    Full Name:
    Joey (2012 458 Spider)
    wow

usrodeo4, r6elmo and docf like this.
  5. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    I don't remember, how many of those that experienced brake failure found fluid leaking?

Im going to go read those threads again!

S

PJxxx and SVCalifornia like this.
  6. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    If I recall, multiple users complained about a hard pedal, which is exactly the opposite of what happens when brake fluid leaks out. So this doesn't seem related to the forum posts I've read before.

7. Hopeful

Hopeful Karting

May 31, 2019
    Vero Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Tony M.
    I think they are related. The 458 and 488 use the exact same brake cylinder/booster. Most of the 458 "hard pedal" failures were a small leak into the booster resulting in a hard pedal but severely limited braking power. The recent 488 failures (of which mine was one) were a catastrophic loss of fluid into the booster (i.e, Low Bake Fluid warning light comes on) and a complete and total loss of braking ability. Roll to a stop or hit something are your only options. By the way, the Hold function does not work under this circumstance as it posts a Depress Brake Pedal warning light but for some reason the car does not sense the brake pedal depressed even though you have it jammed to the floor. Turning the car off will engage the parking brake but I'm not sure how good that is to do while the car is still moving.

8. triathgeek

triathgeek Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2010
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Perhaps Ferrari can share if there is an emergency procedure in case of this failure? It would be in everyones best interest including Ferrari. It will also be interesting if i'm notified as a stockholder of the potential liability and reserves put on the books.

9. jordanfsl

jordanfsl Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2010
    Los Angeles
    The section that mentions a Low Brake Fluid warning first is interesting. I don’t think all the reported cases on here have had that occur prior.

10. jordanfsl

jordanfsl Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Also, does the F8 share the same booster? Or does it have the same part as the Pista, which was not included in this recall?

11. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    A Ferrari owner in Hong Kong a few years ago in a 458 had this identical catastrophic brake failure and couldn’t stop the car, eventually running into a pedestrian and killing them. I saw an article that as of about a year ago he was criminally charged and during his trial, Ferrari representatives testified “there is nothing wrong with the brake systems on the car.” Hopefully this factual proof results in his vindication in Hong Kong.

Anyone have any updates on his case? I hope his attorneys are aware of this recall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rw99 and f355spider like this.
  12. Tony91505

Tony91505 Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2005
    So cal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    That’s great news, I’m always worried the brakes may not work as expected, when needed. Nothing like pcar brakes, that’s for sure.

13. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    " The remedy is not available at this time...."

Very reassuring.

Island Guy likes this.
  14. Hopeful

Hopeful Karting

May 31, 2019
    Vero Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Tony M.
    Most of the failures appear to be a leakage of a small quantity of brake fluid, enough to interfere with proper operation of the booster but not enough to trigger the Low Fluid alert or render the brakes completely inoperable.

15. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    I just got my 2014 458 back from annual service and my advisor mentioned that they had a message to check brake fluid on all cars now. He said mine was fine (and he always checked it anyway), but I guess the timing of the message makes sense now.

Rob

usrodeo4 and jc1 like this.
  16. Hopeful

Hopeful Karting

May 31, 2019
    Vero Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Tony M.
    The 458 and 488 use p/n 248907 (right hand drive) or 244010 (left hand drive). I believe both the Pista and F8 use p/n 272613.

17. Hopeful

Hopeful Karting

May 31, 2019
    Vero Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Tony M.
    Yeah, my 488 Spider had been in for its annual just 5 or 6 months prior. All is good until its not.

18. Mrpseudonym

Mrpseudonym Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 7, 2020
    Sydney, Australia
    I had the ‘Low brake fluid’ warning flash on very briefly mid corner on track last week - 488 spider. Was not being particularly hard on the car, only short sessions. Have driven the car since and brakes seem fine, but with this news I guess its a trip to the dealer this week.

19. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    There is one thing I do not get - why is it stated that "certain" models, and not all, are recalled? It seems to imply that not all cars are potentially impacted, in which case the not impacted cars would have a different equipment imune to this failure - which somehow contradicts the "no remedy available" statement...

20. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Remember that you can also apply the e brake. Just pull the small handle. The e brake is electrically cable operated, not hydraulic.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

SoftwareDrone and Il Tifoso like this.
  21. Hopeful

Hopeful Karting

May 31, 2019
    Vero Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Tony M.
    E-brake did not work in my case. After rolling to a stop, and to prevent rolling backwards on a slight incline, I pulled to E-brake. I got a Depress Brake Pedal warning even though the pedal was mashed to the floor. Seems it senses something other than brake pedal position to determine if the brake is depressed and would not activate. Shutting off the car is the only thing that worked.

22. JTT

JTT Karting

Jun 16, 2020
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    J Taylor
    I checked my 488 and no signs of any leaking. It goes in late this month so hopefully they have a solution.

23. Hopeful

Hopeful Karting

May 31, 2019
    Vero Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Tony M.
    You won't find any sign of leakage. All of the leaks are internal to the system with any brake fluid ending up in the booster.

24. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    How does the e brake work when you’re moving? Is it instant on somehow? Do you pull once or hold the handle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk