1980 308 GTSi sn 32819 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

1980 308 GTSi sn 32819

Discussion in '308/328' started by SAFE4NOW, Jul 14, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Really glad to see these 308’s in the hands of people who will show them some much needed love. Rock on Steve! :)
    Especially when you take a quick stroll through eBay motors used parts/308. Prices will give you heart failure anymore. Quadrupled in the last 4 years.

Albert-LP, jimpo1 and SAFE4NOW like this.
  2. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Wrapping up on oil leaks.

Starting on suspension this week… missed a couple brackets when I ordered everything …. Ugh.

Good news is there is more than enough “ other “ work to hold over till they arrive.

Ever find yourself on a parts website looking to get that one item and when you go to check out, you have half a dozen items …… LoL

Question / Feedback:
    Drove the car before starting the project, the ride was solid and “ comfortable “ ….. but I still opted to replace all the bushings, ball joints, tie rods, etc.

The struts do not seem to be leaking, visually they look “original” …. Am I being stupid not replacing them ( and springs ) now or looks can be deceiving and they could be ok as-is … thoughts?

Steve

RodC328gts likes this.
  3. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Sell the wheels.

Can’t help with the rest. :)

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  4. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Springs should be good (but might use a cleaning). Struts I'd change unless you know how old they are. Don't be surprised if the car sits high for a bit afterwards. If you want the thing to handle more like a modern car, call Aaron B. for advice.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  5. RodC328gts

RodC328gts Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2021
    Mexico
    Full Name:
    Rod C
    Jbrauer and SAFE4NOW like this.
  6. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Jbrauer and RodC328gts like this.
  7. ronr

ronr Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2002
    DFW, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Nice project! Just saw this thread, didn't know you bought this, so congratulations. Same build month/year as mine, less than 300 units apart! Looks like you're planning on doing some similar work that I need to do to mine, now that mine is back on the road again :) I want to do a suspension upgrade, especially the springs, which are a bit soft, so we scrape the bottom more than I like. Also want to do the bumpers, and the exhaust at some point.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  8. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    #35 SAFE4NOW, Dec 22, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2021
    So I took the opportunity this past Saturday to take the 308 out for its first real drive on city streets and highways since taking this project on.

It was light jacket weather, add in the roof being off, and the passenger window in the down position, at speed it was downright cold! The speedometer only reads to 85 mph, so you can imagine my surprise when I was told we were cruising at 100 or so across the TxExpress lanes..

The car ran well, gearbox was smooth and engaged well, no performance concerns at all.
    The new suspension parts I think went a long way to it feeling so secure at speed, the correct wheels and tires as well.

Next steps:

1. Muffler
    2. Bumper repairs
    3. Electrical systems tests ( switches, lighting, etc ) though the horn does work!
    4. A solid detail with paint correction. While not perfect now, its not bad at 5' so maybe a polish will go along ways to holding me off of a repaint.

Question for those in the know, how far would YOU get into this car , knowing its a driver, something to enjoy with no worry of mileage , or parking out of view were something to happen.

I'm in it for just shy of $35k now ( purchase price, repairs, bonded title, etc )

As before thank you all for your opinions and feedback, it helps me know where to work on next!

Steve

Some current pictures:

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login View attachment 3256921

9. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Steering wheel question:

With the wheels pointed straight ahead, the current steering wheel bolts line up as seen in photo 1

Replacement steering wheel , mounting holes line up as in photo 2
    ( mounting holes at 12 and 6, and so on )

All other 308/328 line up like photo 2 as well... any thoughts?

Steve

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. jimpo1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    When I bought my car the steering wheel was a few degrees off-center when going straight ahead. The fix had something to do with the front suspension and moving something around up there. Not sure if that helps. :) My mechanical skills are limited to the proper spelling of “mechanical”.

As far as your question on how far to go with repairing the car, I’d ask what was your goal when you bought it? If you just wanted a driver, get it mechanically sound and drive it! Avoid thoughts of repainting or major updates, just get it to the point of “no pucker” when you turn the key and enjoy it. Or, get it to a point where it can be flipped for a reasonable profit and move on to the next project.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  11. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    Your first picture shows the OEM Nardi wheel, exclusively used for the 2Vi years.

Your second picture shows a typical Momo wheel, as used for both the early carb and the later QV years.

The Nardi and the Momo wheels use different clocking for the 6 attachment bolts. As you have discovered.

If you really want to use a Momo wheel on your Nardi hub, you need to use a Nardi <-----> Momo adapter.

Like I did:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

P.S. - Do you -really- like that red horn button?

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  12. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Dave,

Thank you.

So, I will have my current steering wheel refinished.
    Is the steering wheel supposed to be black?

I do not like the red button so much, I have a yellow center to install now that I know whats what!

Steve

13. ronr

ronr Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2002
    DFW, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I concur, my '80 GTSi has the OEM Nardi setup as Dave described.

ETA:
    My Nardi is black.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  14. jimpo1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Whew! I was afraid to say something! :D

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  15. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Agreee just move them on to the right car....

I have a Battery Cover "clone" to donate to your car.....

I'm not sure what else your under hood is missing as the '78 was a transitional year" for the tire liner, still you seem to missing one.

16. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The earlier MOMO wheels were so much nicer..

I like them more than any you have posted....look for one 77 -78.

17. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    #46 dave80gtsi, Dec 23, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2021
    Some of the very early 1980's (earlier than mine) did come from Italy with a silver spoked Nardi wheel, identical to your black one except for the color of the spokes. I bought an aftermarket Nardi wheel in this silver spoke design and ran with it for a while before I made the shift to a Momo. Later 1980's, plus 1981 and 1982 model 308's all had the black spoke Nardi like yours (might well also have been for other models of that era like Boxers, too).

If you like your Nardi but would prefer a silver spoke look, your path of least resistance would be to seek out an aftermarket wheel accordingly. It's a nice look, and obviously it bolts right up to your existing Nardi hub.

If you like your black spoked Nardi look, then getting it redone with new leather might be a good option. If you look closely at your Nardi wheel, you can find the Ferrari stamping, if keeping a wheel with such like that is a priority for you.

If you want to switch things up a bit, get a hub adapter and go shopping in the Momo catalog of offerings. Lots of options to be found there, including those models which look pretty much like the early carb variations, as noted (in my case, the picture shows that I selected a Momo Prototipo wheel, which gives the interior a sort of retro 246 Dino vibe).

So, basically, you can do whatever you want, and not fear being too far out of the norm for the model (and that goes for the gauge surround, too, as I you can also see that I retrofitted an early carb era silver one for the OEM black one which you have).

DM

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  18. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    SAFE4NOW likes this.
  19. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Ha!

1st time for everything!

S

ronr likes this.
  20. jimpo1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    @GrigioGuy changed his 328 steering wheel to a ???? to make it more like a 308. I bet he’d post a picture.

I know a Momo Monte Carlo is REALLY close to a 328 wheel, in 325mm? Yes, I know your car isn’t a 328. :p

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  21. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Momo Prototipo in silver. Note also Hill Engineering shift knob and pedal/dead pedal covers, and a Slick Shift gate.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

SAFE4NOW and jimpo1 like this.