458/488 Brake Recall | Page 3 | FerrariChat

458/488 Brake Recall

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Hopeful, Oct 30, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    The 458 has so much engine braking I barely use the brakes on the street. Pedal has always felt firm but I guess that's no indication that everything is fine. It'd be really nice to know what to look for, but it sounds like you have to disassemble the master cylinder/booster to see it. I don't really want to find out at 150mph in a braking zone. COTA has alot of runoff space, but not THAT much!

2. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Your tech inspection and preparation should alleviate any concern.

Fresh brake fluid before the event (i.e. full flush and fill), plus a full review of the brake system, checking around the booster and master cylinder for any leaks...

3. TR007

TR007 Karting

Jun 5, 2018
    The Woodlands, Texas
    Full Name:
    Trevor Roberts
    Agreed. I contacted Ferrari of Houston today and they had not yet heard of the recall.

4. rfg

rfg Rookie

Oct 31, 2013
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Any proof for your VIN theory? I am also a ZFF67NFA...

5. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Absolutely none. Pure conjecture on my part. Based on my experience with the Takata airbag recall on a couple BMWs, I would not be surprised if they end up expanding the VIN range.. even assuming the "numbering" works the way I think..
    Thinking about it more... it's probably the last 6 digits that matter, and I'm solidly inside that range, which spans 43036 vehicles if they're assigned sequentially, probably across all models.

6. pfbz

pfbz Rookie

Sep 25, 2009
    The NHTSA documents imply that in at least one failure analysis, the leak was from the master into the booster, ie: an internal leak. If that is the root cause of the failures, it is not going to be detected with a visual inspection.

I would also suggest that a flush and fill might actually help mask the situation... If the fluid level is low (possible internal leak), and a flush and fill or bleed tops it off, you've basically reset the counter on how much fluid must leak internally before the brake level warning trips.

JTSE30 and nmcclure like this.
  7. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    I wonder if the brake issue is one of the reasons it’s been impossible to get track day insurance on 458s lately.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

8. ilko

ilko Karting

Aug 20, 2008
    My car is also a ZFF67NFA VIN (late 2010 build) and I experienced the failure. Read my post above to the link detailing the failure and remedy.

Bottom line, unless Bosch figures out which batch of master cylinders are defective we won't know. They may end up recalling every single 458 and 488. That seems very likely since the issue persists in the 488, a car produced 5+ years later than mine but uses the same components...

There is no way to visually tell if there is a problem without removing the brake booster. It takes an insignificant amount of brake fluid to leak inside the booster and cause the membrane to not seal properly. In my case, it was a coating of fluid, not enough to register in the brake fluid reservoir.

I contacted my local dealer today and they unequivocally stated that they had never heard of this problem. Even though I called them several months ago when I first experienced the issue. At that time they said they'd never heard of it. That's what made me decide to change the brake system components myself instead of being charged dealer rates to participate in their R&D. Today I told them I have photos documenting the failure. They were very interested in receiving them and forwarding over to Ferrari corporate.

9. ohared

ohared Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 14, 2009
    I have sent this notification to my UK Service Manager, it had had heard about it but saw it would make some enquires with Ferrari North Europe. It will interesting if anything surfaces on this matter in UK/EU. It is unlikely to just be a US issue.

elt360 likes this.
  10. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    #60 JTSE30, Nov 2, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2021
    Agreed, if the booster fails you have a very hard pedal and stopping distance dramatically increases, by at least 20 times original(as compared with brake boost).

Sounds like, at a minimum, dealers would need to take the brake assembly out of the car and inspect and if a leak is found, replace the master cylinder and booster.

Seems to me if the piston seals fail in the master it would cause the leak and probably also introduce air bubbles into the brake fluid which further reduce brake pressure. Sounds like Bosch needs to issue new brake assemblies for all with a better design. Ferrari probably knew something about this years ago as the 488Pista uses the brake system of the 812SF...

Also, wasn't one of the big news items on the 458Speciale is that is uses the same brakes as the LaFerrari? But, the LaF is not on the list? Maybe the 458Speciale is only using the rotors/calipers of the LaF.
    reference:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. PasadenaF430scuderia

Sep 9, 2012
    Los Angeles
    This happened to me as well in my spider…no performance loss nor fluid leaking. It seems to occur due to the fluid momentarily dipping below the sensor which is right at the top of the reservoir.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

12. Tony91505

Tony91505 Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2005
    So cal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Just got an email from Ferrari NA for the recall. It appears my 2013 is included, however, there is no solution at this point. The email suggests to drive slowly to the dealer if the brake light comes on. Waiting for additional details…..

13. ekosan

ekosan Karting

Apr 25, 2006
    NJ
    Full Name:
    ekosan
    Scheduled my annual maintenance yesterday and mentioned the NHTSA findings and he had no idea what I was talking about. Just got an email from Ferrari NA.

14. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    ha ok. i have driven almost 10k in mine with no brake issues

15. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    i guess i'll keep driving?

16. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    the email i got does not say to park it just to go to dealer if light comes on.

17. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
  18. GTSuv

GTSuv Rookie

Sep 2, 2016
    Probably should be noted here that the failing Master Cylinder is a Bosch part .. supplier to Ferrari. I'm sure Bosch and Ferrari are have 'discussions' over who is going to pay the final bill on the recall.

docster and TR007 like this.
  19. Hopeful

Hopeful Karting

May 31, 2019
    Vero Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Tony M.
    I guess some people don't get the potential gravity of the situation. I had 6800 miles on my 488 without an issue. And reading the rash of 458 "hard pedal" incidents, they apparently had no prior warning. It's not a gradual degradation but rather a sudden occurrence as if a switch was thrown. It may be relatively low probability (maybe a dozen accounts I've read out of 9,500 vehicles) but if it happens to you when someone jams on their brakes, or a kid runs out in the road, or your approaching a corner at 100 mph, it could ruin your day in a hurry. Not saying I'm not going to drive mine at all but I'm going to be very cautious when I do so.

bball16, TR007, LVP488 and 1 other person like this.
  20. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    words of wisdom. i had a track day for Saturday i was going to take my 458 to but am canceling it. thx

Need4Spd likes this.
  21. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Great info and it’s likely you found the root cause of these failures. Good that you swapped in a new booster but wouldn’t it be the exact same design as the one that fails? My car may see a lot of down time until there is a re-designed part.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

JanStuart likes this.
  22. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I wonder when they add 430 Scuderias and 16Ms to this recall....both intermittent and outright failures of the booster/master cylinder on them as well. I know of five, including myself. Had mine replaced summer 2020.

23. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    pdxjim488 likes this.
  24. Mrpseudonym

Mrpseudonym Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 7, 2020
    Sydney, Australia
    Good to know thanks, that is a little reassuring. From what I understood it has to dip a lot before the sensor comes on

25. Island Guy

Island Guy Karting

Feb 20, 2020
    Full Name:
    Island Guy
    This was the beginning of the current mess. Ferrari's current response is not acceptable.