A "sports car road" - in suburban Atlanta? | FerrariChat

A "sports car road" - in suburban Atlanta?

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by Gatorrari, Oct 6, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    #1 Gatorrari, Oct 6, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
    I live on what is called Blackjack "Mountain" in east Cobb, GA. (I put "Mountain" in quotes because, compared to real mountains I've known, like Mount Rainier, it is hardly a mountain.) I must use Barnes Mill Road to get to my house, but for the last four months, the western approach has been closed, entirely or in part, due to utilities construction. Thus I've spent more time on the east side of the "mountain", and I discovered a neat little road there.

When we think of "sports car roads" we often think of roads with a lot of curves and elevation change. The Tail of the Dragon comes to mind, as does Wolf Pen Gap Road between Suches and Vogel State Park. Well, this little road is kinda like a "mini Dragon". It is called Groover Road and is only 9/10 of a mile long, and the easternmost 2/10, as you can see on the map, is straight as an arrow thru a residential neighborhood. But the remaining 7/10 of a mile has no fewer than 10 turns, some quite tight, and some elevation change. I've taken the road in both the Civic and the Ferrari and found it entertaining in both.

The negatives? It is quite narrow, and I would discourage Testarossas and other wide-body exotics from trying it. It also has four speed humps (or as they're sometimes called, speed tables) to slow traffic down to the posted 25 mph limit, though two of those are on that straight stretch to the east. I wouldn't exceed 25 mph over the humps, but I find that they don't interrupt the entertainment too much. You couldn't go too much faster in the curvy section, even without the humps. And don't try it in the wet.

The western end of the road is at Allgood Road; the eastern end is at Braswell Road off of Sewell Mill Road. The next time you're in this area, in any car that is at least semi-sporty, give Groover Road a try, and see what you think!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Interesting Jim, I grew up close by, went to Walton HS. I have probably been on that road before. I will check it out sometime.

3. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Some good ones in Cherokee / Bartow county are Little Refuge Rd, Sam Nelson Rd, Trimble Hollow, McGill Mountain Rd, Irwin Mill Rd, Covington Bridge, and Salacoa Rd. Not coincidentally, these are all on the way to my favorite BBQ place in Adairsville (along with a dozen or so other roads). Not huge elevation changes, but tons of fun and variety in turns.

steved033 likes this.
  4. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    What is the name of the BBQ place, Bill?

5. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    Salacoa road is awesome...except that one dip...lol...

sjd

6. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Character's BBQ. The owner (Michael) is a BBQ artisan, and a real character!

7. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    That one dip has broken lots of car parts on lowered cars for sure. The other 'lookout' moment is where the long straight turns hard right while the road appears to go straight (you can see someone's driveway in the distance), right where that fake railroad crossing sign is.

steved033 likes this.