F8 - Outdoor car cover. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

F8 Outdoor car cover.

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Dr123, Oct 27, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mrpseudonym

Mrpseudonym Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 7, 2020
    Sydney, Australia
    I have used a cover on another car for the last 7 years, and there is absolutely no damage to the paint. The only two rules I observe are
    1. Do not put the cover on if the car is wet
    2. Do not put the cover on before the car has had a chance to cool down

I do not wash the car every time, but I would not put the cover on if the car was really dirty. Mostly the cover just goes on, but if there is a little bit of dirt I just use a cloth and a waterless car wash (I use Duragloss aquawax) - takes about 2min to do the car. Frankly the benefits in having a cover outweigh any inconveniences..car stays a lot cleaner, and as others have pointed out, anonymity is a good thing.

Oh and one more thing..I chose a cover that can be thrown in the washing machine.

2. Dr123

Dr123 Karting

Oct 24, 2021
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    David RANDALL
    Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. Dr123

Dr123 Karting

Oct 24, 2021
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    David RANDALL
    Forgot to say my car has full ppf and a ceramic halo coating also.
    Last night I ended up taking the cover off after reading lots of posts online. As I hadn’t fully cleaned it. Plus it was still hot after drive. Was worried about exhaust burning cover

4. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    Not sure if they ship to the UK but I use this for my 458:
    https://www.carbag.com/carjacket/

They say it is not for outdoor use but the guy who founded the company uses it for outdoor storage.

I always wash my car, put my car cover on it and then zip up the bag. The silica desiccant is reusable (I use an old toaster oven to bake it dry).

If you go one size larger than you need (i.e. go to M2 instead of M1) it makes it really easy to install, since you have a bit of slack (but maybe having too much volume has a negative side regarding moisture)

Dr123 likes this.
  5. 458Nick

458Nick Rookie

Aug 14, 2021
    St Albans, UK
    Full Name:
    Nick Fryer
    I think I'm in the same boat as you. I want to use my car year round and I don't have a usable garage yet. I don't wash the car before I put the cover on, but it never gets obviously dirty as I don't drive it in the rain or on wet roads. I have broken that rule once or twice and then I don't put the cover on until I've washed it. The thing that upsets me most is the vents above the engine that means the rain goes straight into the engine bay, if it wasn't for that I'd probably be happier leaving it out in the elements a bit more. If it does rain and there's no cover on it, I'm straight out with the rags drying the engine when the rain stops. Wife thinks I've lost it. The car has full PPF that makes me a bit less worried about scratches. There is a 458 parked in central London that I drive past most days, no protection whatsoever and it's parked in a line of cars in the middle of the road! Doesn't mean I plan to treat my car like that but it does make me feel a bit better. I plan on getting a wheels off thorough detail once every couple of months to make sure the car stays tip top as today it looks brand new (registered Sep 2016 with 20k miles) so the previous owners looked after it and I need to make sure I do too.

6. Dr123

Dr123 Karting

Oct 24, 2021
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    David RANDALL
    Thanks nick. I’ve only had my F8 since Saturday and am so stressed about this cover situation already lol. As I don’t have a garage the cover is to try make the car blend in lol and also for protection. Has full ppf also and the new halo ceramic coating. I’m only going to use the cover when car cleaned and dried from now on. I went a wee drive on Tuesday night and got home late so didn’t want to wash it but had washed it the day before. Put cover on then started reading stuff online. Ended up taking it off lol.
    I need a garage lol!
    Mine has been converted into second living room. Might just put in by fold doors and drive into living room lol. Thanks

Ps do you know if there is a Scottish owners meeting ? Thanks

7. john Owen

john Owen Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Owen
    Personally i wouldn't waste my money on a car cover and instead pay £150/month to a local reputable car storage company where it'll kept in climate controlled luxury on a trickle charger with the huge benefit of high security.

8. 458Nick

458Nick Rookie

Aug 14, 2021
    St Albans, UK
    Full Name:
    Nick Fryer
    The closest storage company is 15 miles away. This would mean I wouldn't drive the car as it would be too much effort. If I was storing it for the winter then it would work, but I want to drive the car year round.

9. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Can you please tell us what cover you have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Mrpseudonym

Mrpseudonym Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 7, 2020
    Sydney, Australia
    Covercraft weathershield HP

11. Dr123

Dr123 Karting

Oct 24, 2021
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    David RANDALL
    So coming up on two weeks since got the car. First week I used the cover. Not used since Friday last week as I am paranoid about scratching it etc. Despite the full ppf and ceramic coating. Met a friend there who said he would use the cover in this weather. Lol. Back to my dilemma

12. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    I'm shocked that you and others have 458s - F8s and keeping them outside, especially in the UK!!! Like what was said previously, it's a no brainer to keep it @ a storage facility, because why should you stress and not enjoy the car?! If it's too far, look into renting a local private garage and keep it in a "cocoon" to protect it from moisture, etc. Here's a pic of my classic Porsche, that I keep at a vacation home on Long Island, which is very humid and I go to and drive her year round. It's works like a charm and keeps out rodents, etc. as well.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login