How much of a threat to Ferrari is the new Z06? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

How much of a threat to Ferrari is the new Z06?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by 96redLT4, Oct 30, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Incredible off the charts bang for the buck.

Lack of a manual box is the only disappointment for those that do not have the use for a stopwatch.

I hoped they would optionally offer this engine in the Camaro and re-issue the Z/28, with a 6spd manual.

No manual transmission = no interest in a non-manual transmission car. *My DD econobox has a manual.

2. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    upon further consideration..... the title of this thread is not right..... the new z06 is no threat to anything......

there will always be a market for bespoke, expensive super cars.... no matter the drive train..... I bet you could install a nuke reactor and people will buy it as long as it has cf and alcantara :)

but the fact that f and L have left this engaging n/a vacuum in sport cars..... at the same time GM fills this space is pretty exciting and most would not have predicted this if the question was brought up 15 yrs ago......

cool to have options....... I hope I never am relegated to the tesla.... I see all these sad families reading books and sleeping in their tesla's at our local grocery store with the superchargers...... they just park and plug in and go to sleep or do their nails....... heck one lady has her friend in her ICE suv drop off the tesla so she can run errands..... then motors back over to pick up the charged tesla..... ( I digress).

Have fun, enjoy your cars.

VAF84, Rick Weston, TheMayor and 2 others like this.
  3. Tony91505

Tony91505 Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2005
    So cal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Tesla is not that bad. Only takes 15 minutes or so to charge 80 percent. It’s like driving a NA that’s always at peak torque. And, at times, it even out brakes the 458 or 488s!

4. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    I’m just observing these families sleeping at the grocery store… so sad. No way to live.

5. Ffre92

Ffre92 Formula Junior

May 26, 2014
    NY
    i bought a Tesla for my father as a gift and he loves it. It was fun accelerating and using autopilot for the first week, but the novelty faded quickly. I have no real criticisms of the car as daily transport, I just won’t buy one for myself until I am forced to!

anunakki and paulchua like this.
  6. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Chevy is building the car Ferrari isn't. It's that simple. It is going to attract a lot of buyers regardless of brand loyalty.

Flat plane NA engine..last of the breed. And Chevy is the one to build it. Well played GM..well played.

Spezia, Mike73229, VAF84 and 9 others like this.
  7. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    100% of Ferrari brand new cars get sold every year. This will have zero impact to Ferrari’s business model.

Where this might attract buyers is in the used market when someone is considering a 2011
    458 for $195k… or a new Z06 C8 for $140k, they may go for the new Z06.

New car market? Zero impact
    Used car market? Maybe a small impact

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. SmokinV10

SmokinV10 Karting

Oct 19, 2017
    Saying that Ferrari had “always sold 100% of their cars” as a testament to a company’s ability to adapt or survive is laced with naive hubris. It’s also not true. Cars like the Lusso only sell bc owners are compelled to buy to get allocation for the more desirable models.

Kodak, Blockbuster, RIM/Blackberry, Yahoo are all name brands that didn’t innovate. At some inflection point prior to technological disruptors, they could all point to record sales and a track record of success. Ferrari punted Pininfarina. Then you get the Roma and SF90. Theyve played second fiddle to McLaren in performance for the past 5 or so years. Now they are going v6 while GM takes a bite out of their home turf. Adapt or die. They aren’t doing so well adapting. Brand cache will only go so far and last so long.

VAF84, Boomhauer, Carbuilder and 3 others like this.
  9. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    I never get tired of blasting away from stop lights on my morning commute.

I agree that there is no threat to new Ferrari's from the Z06. They're just at two very different price points. However I think there is a threat to the used market. Pre-Covid the Z06 would be falling right in line with the bottom end of the 458 market (which has since shot up). Now its more in the 430 range, and I think it will be competing there to some extent.

It'll be interesting to see what happens to Ferrari in the future. Alot of folks claiming that they want a lightweight, visceral car, but they just don't sell that well (*cough Alfa 4C *cough*). While the tech heavy, flashy cars with stupid amounts of power keep selling like gangbusters. Hybrids seem like a stupid half-assed compromise to me, but I could see Ferrari in the future having two lines, an EV one and a gas powered one. Maybe at that point NA technology will have progressed enough that turbo's aren't needed for performance, and the EV line could offset them.

VAF84, paulchua and one4torque like this.
  10. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    It may be true. Perhaps most people who buy Ferraris don’t really care what is under the hood. BMW learned that lesson peddling their rear wheel drive configuration thinking it was a major selling point. It turned out a large percentage of BMW owners didn’t know (or care) whether it was rear wheel or front wheel drive.

11. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    None.

Different demographics, always have, always will.

The Z06 Vette represents extreme performance for an affordable price.

That 'affordable' price (yes, I do consider $100K affordable, pardon the elitism) is precisely why Ferrari is not concerned. You never buy a regular Ferrari for flat-out performance; if you want both - you join the FXX program.

Ferrari is about the theater, drama, and sense of occasion. Here's the kicker - it has to be timeless. What makes it ageless is the rarity and styling that will never be commoditized, even long after the performance has.

If you want uncompromising street performance, you get a Porsche. You want the fastest red light run, Tesla.

Sure the Vette will garner its acolytes, especially in the first 5-7 years of the model run. Then the hooplah dies out, and only true motorheads like us will appreciate it. Most of the public will move on to the following 'faster' Z06. This Vette becomes just another 'old sports car.' to most folks.

Whereas even a Ferrari 412 still turns heads today, ten years from now, and even more than 100 years from now.

Don't get me wrong, I personally LOVE the new Vette. It's a remarkable achievement, and I think it's an amazing vehicle.

It's just not a Ferrari.

Mike73229, VAF84, TR007 and 5 others like this.
  12. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Everyone talking about the z06 being a great value is only partially right.

Sure... It's great value if you can get it at sticker.

But...

More than likely you won't be able to. It will be over sticker. Probably as much as 100k over sticker and possibly more.

So for say 250k your going to have an interior from a 70k dollar Corvette.

The crappy thing about paying over is that the car is still only made with say 80-90% of the cost to make it. So you can't have insane brakes and insane engines and insane brakes and insane paint quality and insane blah blah blah for 100k. It's going to be great in some and bad in the other areas. But it won't have as high quality parts content as the car that was 350 and depreciated to say... 250.

Anyways it's going to be awesome. I put my order in for one.

96redLT4, Jaguar36 and paulchua like this.
  13. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #88 TheMayor, Nov 3, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2021
    There are several things that draw me to Ferrari

1) the heritage and legacy of past cars. I like what they stood for, even though it might not quite be the same today.
    2) the style. Sometimes they fail but they do try different things and usually succeed. Lambo to me has been stuck with the Countach look since the 1970's
    3) the motors. Pieces of jewelry. Engineering excellence.
    4) the interiors. There isn't a sweeter smell than Ferrari leather.
    5) exclusivity. Its getting harder to make this claim but they are still something "special" to own. A way to fulfill a dream you had as a kid. A status symbol.
    6) racing history going back to the 30's. Recently -- well, lets not talk about it. But hope is eternal. Maybe next year.

These things will not change in my mind -- and I think in the minds of most people considering a Ferrari -- significantly and therefore, the Z06 is no real threat to Ferrari. But like the original NSX, perhaps its a good wake up call. That wake up call got us the 360 Modena which then led Ford to give us the Ford GT which then led McLaren to give us the Mp4-12c.

The Z06 will never be "special". Its not supposed to be by definition. But sometimes, you just don't want or need that to satisfy your needs and desires.

14. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I'd love to rent a Z06 C8.
    I own a Ferrari.

one4torque likes this.
  15. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    +100

Reacherman1022 likes this.
  16. Ffre92

Ffre92 Formula Junior

May 26, 2014
    NY
    It’s a shame, the 4c could have been a real winner if they offered it with a manual. Porsche had no problems selling all the gt4 and spyders they made.

Texas Forever and ralfabco like this.
  17. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir

No manual took away from the positive test drive experience.

I wanted to buy it.

Texas Forever likes this.
  18. mavila

mavila Rookie

Jun 13, 2019
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    mavila
    Already mentioned - even in the original post - but I agree to some extent they are just different demographics and won't be cross-shopped. However, I do know people that have owned both. They did it for a very specific reason - the reason I would do it as well. They don't want to risk their Ferrari on the track. Instead they purchased Z06s for track days. I am not a Ferrari owner yet - still watching and waiting for the right time to buy my first one. However, when I do, I highly doubt I will track it even though I love going to the track. I don't have deep enough pockets to feel comfortable wadding up whatever I purchase in a track day mishap. On the other hand, I would feel very comfortable buying a used Z06 for track duty, and if there is an unfortunate incident, so be it. The Corvette has always provided unbeatable bang for the buck. Like others here, I have a lot of respect for them and am amazed at the lap times they produce right out of the box. That being said, I have no real desire to own one except for the reason above.

19. cavalierhome

cavalierhome Rookie

Nov 2, 2021
    Full Name:
    Paul Dos Santos
    The new Corvette z06 is an amazing machine. And it is a Chevy meaning that unlike Ferrari guys, you can drive it all day every day. Ferrari people always show up with the car on a trailer.

Don't get me wrong, Ferrari is a great car, and I just purchased one, (360) but I am also on the list for a new Z06.

I think all car makers have to pay attention because the folks at Corvette have done something amazing.

Let’s not forget Ferrari has already been embarrassed by Ford 2 times 50 years ago and just recently.

And it is not just Chevy, have you seen the new Lotus Emira? Or even the very nice looking ($45K) Nisan Z?

All these cars will put pressure on Ferrari to come up with more reliable better priced cars.

If they don’t then their market share will decline.

Ferrari is a tradition and it deserves a place in any car enthusiast heart, but dominance does not guarantee success.

Look at Amazon? Before them, (100’s of years before them), a company was selling things over long distances using a catalog, it’s name was sears & roebuck. How did they give up such a lead? I am sure they too believed nobody would ever be better.

When I hear someone say derogatory things about great cars simply because they are not a Ferrari, I hear the sound of fear and embarrassment.

To me the name does mean something, but as an ex-racecar driver performance is nearly everything.

And by the way, Corvette is and has been for many years not “jus” a Chevy, it has the brand and a following of any supper car.

20. Surtees

Surtees Rookie

Apr 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Dave Jordan
    I have seen and driven the new Corvette and it’s no Ferrari. Up close it looks and feels cheap. The sound in person is no better than the 1982 Ferrari GTBi I bought new in 1982. It’s a lot faster than my 308 but I didn’t get the seat feel that I get from my 1966 Corvette L79. In short I wouldn’t trade either car for a new Z06.

21. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    IMO the best thing the ZO6 does is push other manufacturers to increase their performance to price ratio

22. The big wheel 64

Jan 14, 2020
    Full Name:
    Michael Walker
    It really won't matter what chevy makes. I live in a country club and buying a Vette would be like going to a school where everyone wears the same clothes. Plus I drive V12 cars and could care less how fast they are. We bought Ferrari's to be one in the crowd not part of the crowd.

23. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    Like Patek Philippe vs Seiko. Better at what, telling time, resale, feels better, or just a name.

24. cavalierhome

cavalierhome Rookie

Nov 2, 2021
    Full Name:
    Paul Dos Santos

Unless you work for GM, there is no way you drove the new Z06.

VAF84 likes this.
  25. AtomicPunk88

AtomicPunk88 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    Brad
    Presumably, he meant the C8 generally.