Daytona Door Latches | FerrariChat

Daytona Door Latches

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by dgunn365, Nov 6, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dgunn365

dgunn365 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    New London, NH
    Full Name:
    David Gunn
    It is clear that Ferrari used (at least) two different door latching systems on the Daytona. 12699 has the 'tapered pin' style and I have seen a number of photos where the car has a more 'conventional'(?) style.
    Does anyone know if there was a calendar/S/N change or was it a random thing as to which car got which?
    I ask that because the photo evidence implies it may have been random.
    Thanks

2. daytonaman

daytonaman Formula Junior

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    mine (12971) has these, same as 911 and still available
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

readplays likes this.
  3. dgunn365

dgunn365 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    New London, NH
    Full Name:
    David Gunn
    Can you shoot me a photo of the door side.
    As our car has the, probably original, tapered pin system we will be reluctant to change.
    But it is a consideration,
    Thanks for the response.

4. daytonaman

daytonaman Formula Junior

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
  5. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    While poking around the RM website, I noted that both 12841 and 13183 still had the non-tapered-pin style latch.

My guess would be that the tapered-pin came in with the steel doors. (but that is just a guess)

6. dgunn365

dgunn365 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    New London, NH
    Full Name:
    David Gunn
    I am not sure of the when and why of the change. My, admittedly non rigorous survey has found a mix of early and later cars with the two types.
    Having the lighter, non pin system would make sense with the alloy doors; but the 911 uses that non pin system on steel doors.

7. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    It would be interesting to check inside the doors of 12699 for reinforcement bars. If the bars are there (or if the doors are steel), then it seems possible that the car was "federalized" by someone, and they substituted the tapered-pin latches.

While it is not a detail that I ever pay much attention to, The two occasions where I did note the 911-style latches were on early cars with aluminum doors...

8. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Hi David,

So I could not resist looking at this latch issue a little more closely.

After reviewing a lot of pictures, it is pretty clear that it is not just a matter of deciding to use one latch type or the other. The mounting points on the doors and body are completely different for the two types of latches. So the only way that you would have mixes of the two types of latches is if you had mixes of different door/body types. While I could imagine that there was a broad period where hiccups on the time-line of individual chassis might mean that some no-pins were intermixed with later tapered-pins, it seems unlikely to me that the factory would not do a complete cut-over as time went on.

Have you ever hit the doors with a magnet? Given the vintage of your SN, it seems hard to believe that they could be anything other than aluminum, but it seems also hard to believe (to me anyway) that you would find those tapered-pins on an aluminum door.

Would be super interesting to know what material the doors were made of....

Cheers,
    Alex