Museo Enzo Ferrari (MEF) in Modena and Museo Ferrari in Maranello | FerrariChat

Museo Enzo Ferrari (MEF) in Modena and Museo Ferrari in Maranello

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by markus77, Nov 5, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. markus77

markus77 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2019
    At the beginning of last October I had the opportunity to visit the two Ferrari museums. The first is in Modena, inside a very very beautiful building, and the second is in Maranello.
    I took several photos that I will share because every time I happened to see photo galleries of fairs, classic car rallies and more on some site it was as if I had been there too.
    I hope you like them and they have the same effect on you.

Jack-the-lad and readplays like this.
  2. markus77

markus77 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2019
    Christian.Fr and miurasv like this.
  3. markus77

markus77 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2019
    A Ferrari 360 Modena Barchetta donated by Gianni Agnelli to Luca Cordero di Montezemolo in 2000 as a wedding gift.
    Initially the car had a very low windshield then Luca Cordero di Montezemolo had it modified in the current form that can be seen in the photo

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Christian.Fr, colombo2cam and miurasv like this.
  4. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
  5. markus77

markus77 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2019
    readplays likes this.
  6. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Is there any explanation in the literature regarding Agnelli's desire for the "square" grille opening on some of his Specials? Pretty much unique in Ferrari body designs, either from well-known or lesser designers. I presume Enzo didn't/couldn't mind?

7. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    What color is the Lusso?

8. markus77

markus77 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2019
  9. markus77

markus77 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2019
  10. markus77

markus77 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2019
    Here on the official Ferrari website there is some interesting information about the car
    https://www.ferrari.com/en-EN/magazine/articles/gianni-agnelli-400-superamerica
    I then read that between the car exhibited at the Turin Motor Show in 1959 and the one delivered to Gianni Agnelli there are some changes in the front, requested by Gianni Agnelli.
    In fact, the photo you can see at this link seems to confirm it.
    https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:1959-10-31_Torino_Ferrari_400_Superamerica_1517SA.jpg
    Regards

11. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Thanks for that Markus!
    Although there is no clear answer as to the design choice for the grille opening, 'reading between the lines', perhaps Sr. Agnelli wanted to reduce some of the typical "Ferrari-ness" of this car, to make it bit less provocative to the "masses" (esp. the Fiat-driving ones...). The overall more rectangular rather than streamlined shape supports this idea too......

12. markus77

markus77 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2019
    I found this web page of an important classic car magazine in Italy (Ruoteclassiche)
    https://ruoteclassiche.quattroruote.it/ferrari-superamerica-e-superfast-le-fuoriserie-piu-esclusive-del-cavallino-parte-ii/.

Specifically:
    "La Superamerica dell’Avvocato. Il nome “400 Superamerica” accompagnò, già nel 1959, anche la speciale coupé commissionata da Gianni Agnelli. L’Avvocato, desideroso di una granturismo prestante ma che desse poco nell’occhio, optò per una carrozzeria a tre volumi piuttosto tradizionale nelle proporzioni, con un grande radiatore quadrato sul frontale e quattro fari circolari. Unico “guizzo” il parabrezza avvolgente che riprendeva lo stile americano del tempo. L’esemplare, privo di stemmi, poteva apparire come un modello di prestigio di qualsiasi altro marchio: dal prototipo di qualche Fiat di alta gamma ad una esotica vettura americana. Un parallelo che, mezzo secolo dopo, l’ironia della sorte ha reso possibile con l’alleanza Fiat-Chrysler, ma questa è un’altra storia…".
    In english (by Google translator):
    "The Lawyer’s Superamerica. As early as 1959, the name “400 Superamerica” also accompanied the special coupé commissioned by Gianni Agnelli. The Lawyer, eager for a high-performance GT but that did not attract attention, opted for a rather traditional three-volume body in proportions, with a large square radiator on the front and four circular headlights. The only "flicker" is the wraparound windshield that echoed the American style of the time. The model, without badges, could appear as a prestige model of any other brand: from the prototype of some high-end Fiat to an exotic American car. A parallel that, half a century later, the irony of fate made possible with the Fiat-Chrysler alliance, but that's another story ... ".

Reading these lines, I really believe that you are not very far from the truth, even if, I do not think that the choice of a certain understatement can be linked to the need not to exhibit one's richness with respect to the workers and its employees. We are in 1959 and the years of social clashes and internal terrorism are yet to come.

Perhaps, being a car for personal use, there may have been a prevailing need not to attract too much attention during private trips.

Certainly, as they also say on Ruoteclassiche, with the square grille the car could have looked like a high-end Fiat or an american car.

Moreover, as you can see in the beautiful photo gallery on the above page, the version delivered to Gianni Agnelli was also missing the Ferrari badge on the bonnet, which must have been added by some subsequent owner.

Of course they’re just my considerations. :)

Jack-the-lad and tritone like this.
  13. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #20 Marcel Massini, Nov 8, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
    Disagree.
    When 1517 SA was shown at the 31 October 1959 Torino Motor Show it did have the regular yellow Ferrari badge on the front.
    Gianni Agnelli got the car only on 5 Juy 1960, eight months later. Agnelli's company RIV SpA sold 1517 SA 26 September 1962 to the second owner. He re-sold the car three weeks later to Mrs Anita Kerstin Marianne Ekberg, the actress born in Malmö/Sweden, Miss Sweden 1950, resident in Rome. La Ekberg had 1517 SA serviced at the factory 3 times until February 1965 and sold it 27 May 1966 to the 4th owner in Italy. Many owners later, now in USA, 1517 SA suffered a front crash and was sold damaged and in need of a total restoration during the 27-29 June 1986 auction held at Harrah's automobile collection in Reno, NV/USA.

Marcel Massini

14. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Correct. The design was redone by Pininfarina for Agnelli and the car has been restored as this 2nd version, with the exception that a nose badge has been added at some point. There are stories that Agnelli did not want his car to be recognized as a Ferrari, but I have no idea if the nose badge was later added for him or for a later owner. Part of the fun seems to have been that neither did the almost identical Maserati 5000GT have a trident.

15. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
  16. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    Not the real car of Agnelli
    The good one is #79883, black interior and Valeo System.

17. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    #24 Christian.Fr, Nov 8, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
  18. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Imagine proud Roman machos, even in upscale cars seeing her pull up in that at the traffic light: double jaw drop:D

Jack-the-lad likes this.