430 - Driver door window not dropping when opening | FerrariChat

430 Driver door window not dropping when opening

Discussion in '360/430' started by Mario Andretti, Nov 7, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    Hi all,

Well; I found what it seems to be my first problem in my (new to me) F430... The driver door always felt hard to close, I had to smack it to close... Only to realize today (stupid me) that it was due to the window not dropping down when opening. So when you close it, it smacks on the seal, and you need a bit of a force to close it.

So, I tried to reset the window position by keeping the up and down depressed a few seconds after opening and closing; no go. The WEIRD thing is; if I open it, and touch the "window down" button, it goes down to the right height, and it actually works fine, for once or twice shuts. Then it goes back to being inert, not dropping when you open the door from inside, or outside, no matter.

If it was a faulty switch , I would expect it not to work at all; could it be a window separate controller that is faulty?

Many thanks for any insight

2. AandSC

AandSC Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 12, 2016
    Jax, FL
    Full Name:
    Allen
    Might be a long shot, but check your door jam switch to make sure it’s in place and intact.

Mario Andretti likes this.
  3. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    Is that the switch which senses the door open or close and the interior light turns on? If so, it works... light comes on, and so does the red light on the door...

AandSC likes this.
  4. AandSC

AandSC Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 12, 2016
    Jax, FL
    Full Name:
    Allen
  5. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    Thanks for the link; I saw that one, but it is not a clear cut what happened ... I will try some of the suggestions there, outside of changing the windows regulator.. too early in diagnosis to spend that much money.

AandSC likes this.
  6. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #6 Qavion, Nov 7, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2021
    According to the wiring diagrams, the door pillar microswitch has no input into the Window Control Unit (only the Alarm Unit and the red lights on the doors).

My notes say that the door latch switch is responsible for dash warning and window drop. It's part of motorised locking actuator.

You might want to pull the door connector off and check for continuity between pin 14 and 15 (with the door open). This is the output of the latch switch.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Then manually activate the latch (with the door open) to see if there is an open circuit.

7. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Good point. Missed that on the first read of your message. May need a re-think.

Can you consistently reproduce that door open/window switch behaviour? Or is it more like an intermittent problem triggered by the vibration of a closing/opening door?

8. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    It can be reproduced consistently.. is what puzzled me too. After 2nd close it no longer works, unless I drop window down a bit with the switch when opened.

9. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Sounds like this will be tough to diagnose. If it is a mechanical issue, why does it stop working after one cycle of door closing. If it is a switch issue, why does it work sometimes and not others. If it's an ECU logic issue, could it be because of an internal ECU fault or could it be due to exernal inputs causing conflict with the logic?

Does your window up/down switch work normally with the door closed? Is it showing any kind of reluctance to drop with the door closed? Try dropping the window a few times.

10. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Now I'm not so sure about my notes. There may be a combination of switches related to automatic window control. The manual specifically says the inner door handle will drop the windows (and if the door is not opened (unlatched), the window will rise after 15 seconds). That seems to be saying both the handle and latch is involved in window control. On top of that, according to the wiring diagrams, the external doorlock (barrel switches) are in parallel, electrically, with the inner door handle.

Could it be that one of these switches is perpetually activated and has triggered the 15 second logic?

Could you try cycling the external doorlock with the key a few times?

11. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    There are 2 micro switches in the door internals u might want to check. Need to pull the door card to get to them

12. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #12 Qavion, Nov 8, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
    There are actually 7 switches in the door on the standard 430 (and 6 on the Scud). Also, the lock barrel switch has multiple contacts. You really need a wiring diagram to figure out what is what.

I don't have a diagram for the standard F430, but it should be the same as the later model 360's:

https://www.dropbox.com/t/T0LWdJPwEiOD2GeL

Rather than pull the door to pieces, checking switch operation at the pins on the door plug may be easier.

The window position microswitch "7M" appears to be working. That's the one which stops window movement at 2cm down.

13. Vegas CS

Vegas CS Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2018
    Vegas
    Full Name:
    James
    I had a similar issue on my last CS. Tech found a broken wire in the harness that was in the door. Not sure what pins needed at be checked but if you have the wiring diagram, it may show it.

14. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    I will try that. The thread above has some information about disconnecting and reconnecting the door module, which is under the dash on the left for 360 ; would it be similar to the 430? I thought I'd try it first before taking things apart.

Thank you!

15. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    Yes, the window works normally, and the movement is just as fast as the passenger one. If I press "down" a bit longer, it goes all the way down. If I press "up" a bit longer, it goes all the way up. Brief presses only moves it briefly.

And one more thing. The window control "knows" where to stop the window if the door is open, and window is down. If I press it all the way up, it goes up to the top, then drops down to the appropriate position for door to close.

Qavion likes this.
  16. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    If you do need to pull the door to pieces, this is my favourite video:

The "knows where to stop" microswitch is the "7M" switch I mentioned earlier. I recall it's mounted on the window runners.

So, in summary, the system doesn't seem to be getting the "when to drop" signal with the door closed (except for the one time after resetting the system with the door open) or something is interfering with that "when to drop" signal with the door closed (latched). e.g. the doorlocking system should interfere with the window drop system, but, obviously, if the doorlock system was activated, you wouldn't be able to open the door.

By the way, with the driver's door open, if you manipulate the latch (mechanically) to simulate a door latched closed signal, does the window still go down to its gapped position (if you activate the window down switch a little)

van22, Red 27 and Mario Andretti like this.
  17. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I know i am late to party ..but have tried a simple reboot ..disconnect battery and reconnect over night

I have seen a number things get fixed on the f430 BMWs etc with that

The reason I mention bmw is because you be surprised how much is similar

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Mario Andretti and Qavion like this.
  18. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    No, it does not. Once it gets "stuck" up there, nothing moves it, inside or outside handle. Also, I have not tried to disconnect the battery from fear of losing my radio... but I found the radio code now in the paperwork, so I'll try that next time I get to it (car is in a storage location away from my house).

Many thanks

19. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    One quick unrelated (maybe) question; I found a lot of errors stored on different modules when I scanned the car with the AP2000 device (which also shows the clutch wear).

Is it safe to delete them? I don't want to mess anything up... I have done this fine with my other VW or BMW cars, ok to delete/clear all codes, and see which re-appear, but I am not sure here.
    I am thinking of clearing all codes, and see if anything shows up for central locking or alarm, convenience module (whatever that module is called).

Thanks

20. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I would screen print them and then clear them

Just you have a history of them

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

21. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    Hi,

I went to the car to clear the error codes and check the window drop situation again. I realized, that, even if I open the door and drop it with the window up/down button, and then close it, it never ever works if I use the interior handle... only exterior one.

I can hear the microswitch clicking, just like the other door, but nothing happens here. I do think it's the faulty switch or contact or wiring of some sort. The fact that it only works from the outside twice it could be the ecu detecting an open loop or something here, not sure, and disabling the outside switch?

I need to open the door to do further diagnosis, and check the plug like @Qavion said... But that is an operation I don't have space here so it will have to wait until spring I believe.

Many thanks for your input. I will definitely come back and post the result in case someone else runs into this.

22. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I'm in the same boat. My garage is too narrow to open the door fully to access that door plug on the door hinge.

Interesting. In the meantime, I'll try to come up with some new theories. By the way, the armrest door open switch "output" will be easy to check at the door plug near the hinge. There is only one screw holding that plug on.

23. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    I did some more testing on my window drop.. It is always working for a one or two times once you reset the battery, or reset the logic with the window up and down button, with window open. Both outside and inside switches behave the same, so they can't be faulty. The car does shut lights off when the door is closed, so the door close pillar button works.

My personal conclusion, after doing some more reading on this thread:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/diy-360-repair-the-windows-ecu-for-less-than-50-cents.566401/

Is that the windows control ecu must be busted. There is no correlation to a faulty switch as it works for once or twice, and both switches fail to engage the window drop after a couple of actuations. It sounds like a bad or faulty component....

I will try to remove that ecu out and see what part number is, the Exotic guys in CA have the 185888 module in stock so I'll take a chance..
    I will report back..

Cheers

Qavion likes this.
  24. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I see the window ECU is hooked up to the OBD2 port. I'm wondering if official Ferrari tools can diagnose this issue?

How hard is the ECU to get to? If the ECU plugs are accessible, you may be able to check the state of various microswitches without pulling the door to pieces. The wiring diagrams list the function of each pin (at least for the Scud).

25. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell