Why do people spit on my car? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Why do people spit on my car?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by FrancisK, Nov 6, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DiamondDog

DiamondDog Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2021
    Orange County, CA
    Of course it won't prevent it. But it could help identify someone if it escalated, that's like saying Paint Protection Film won't guarantee no damage to your car

2. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #27 TTR, Nov 6, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2021
    **** happens in life, get over it and move on.
    If anything, take it as a lesson.
    I hope my life never gets that frazzled by little things.

P.S. OPs title wording makes it seem like this spitting thing is and has been an on-going issue for awhile.

3. FrancisK

FrancisK Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2021
    Midwest
    #28 FrancisK, Nov 6, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2021

Thank you, I will definitely aspire to be more like you and not be “frazzled” when people spit and throw things at my car….

Pro Bono, Zed82, Llenroc and 5 others like this.
  4. alum04org

alum04org F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2009
    Plymouth, MI
    FrancisK - Driving our NSX's in/around Detroit Metro area I get a bird or two every other month, usually from some maggot driving a beat up Chrysler mini-van or similar gut-wagon. As Mr. Bertrand stated - troof. I take the bird to mean I shoulda bought a Camaro, Mustang, Firebird, Viper, UAW product.

Better luck to ya! :)

FrancisK likes this.
  5. FrancisK

FrancisK Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2021
    Midwest

Yea I’m over it, was just such a stupid silly thing for someone to do. I was pretty annoyed that I had to wash my car at 2am because some loser who lives in his moms basement didn’t work as hard as me….

6. ddrewesusa

ddrewesusa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2021
    92,955,807 miles from the sun
    Full Name:
    Don Drewes
    There are terrible people in the world, they are jealous of someone else’s success because they were educated that way. No one is born like that, those are learned behaviors. Those behaviors are not acceptable and no one should have to experience that.

VAF84, vrsurgeon, whatheheck and 3 others like this.
  7. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    2 types folks in the world:

1) those that congratulate another persons success
    2) those try to tear them down

You’ll be surprised how many fall in #2, even in this very forum. I know I constantly am.

Texas Forever, DBomb117 and VAF84 like this.
  8. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    A you sure that it's the car and you amazing cat herding skills their jealous off? After all, one cannot afford these if one does not have skils! :D

And, yes...they see success and simply are jealous of those dedicated to it!

paulchua likes this.
  9. Concretecomet

Concretecomet Karting

Oct 10, 2021
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I just moved this summer from Bay Area California to Springfield, and WOW! What a difference in how my cars have been treated! In California my cars have been keyed and spit on many times, and I’ve been flipped off an shouted vulgarities. Since we’ve been here nothing, I just got my Ferrari and have had nothing but positive everywhere I go, I was bracing for the worst being used to San Francisco Area, but I drive my Ferrari everywhere here

Texas Forever, Julia and VAF84 like this.
  10. Stams

Stams Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2020
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Sorry to hear about this. I have not had any issues with spitting or damage, but I have had some people show some negativity. By far it has been a very positive owner experience.

The best thing you can do is learn from it and move on.

I use my car as mostly an A to A car and I have many friends who say Ferraris are fun to drive but a nightmare to park.

I have gone to just a couple of restaurants and try to sit where I can see it and still it causes more anxiety than it’s worth.

You enjoy your car how you like, it’s your car, but remember that people drinking and seeing a Ferrari are going to bring out the darkness in many of them.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

VAF84, Viperjoe and FrancisK like this.
  11. The Red Baron

The Red Baron Formula 3

Jan 3, 2005
    Full Name:
    Warren
    Its entirely a geographic / demographic thing.
    I have asked the question to a few people over the years:
    Would you leave your car parked unattended or overnight on the street.Unfortunately the city I live in the answer would be NO way.
    The car would get keyed for sure. Probably more so get hit by some "blue rinse"lady trying to park within 10 meters of it.
    I do go to Italy a lot for events and if I answered the same question for that country:
    During the daytime no problem. The Italians appreciate cars in general.
    I don't think they would damage the car if left overnight. (might take the whole car but not damage it)
    The times I have left a car on Italians streets overnight there has always been a security guard watching, so been lucky so far.

wax likes this.
  12. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Courtesy of Adam Corolla:

"When I was a kid, one day I was helping my dad cut the grass in the front yad and someone drove by in a brand new Rolls Royce. I had never seen one before. My dad and I marveled at this beautiful object drive right past us.

My dad said to me "Son. If you work hard and save hard someday you too might get a car like that!"

Today that dad would tell his son: "Look at that A hole. No one should have that much money to buy something like that."

And now you know why people abuse your car.

13. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    I'd like to correct your statement where you say California it should say Bay Area. LA is completely different in my experience. When I had my 355 I was in my late 20s and I look young as is, I was expecting a lot of "daddy's car" comments but I only got positive comments. I was actually surprised I didn't get 1 bad comment/experience.

paulchua, ryalex and VAF84 like this.
  14. FrancisK

FrancisK Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2021
    Midwest

How long ago was that? Culture has changed, everyone is angry they don’t have what you have but instead of using that as motivation or just respecting someone else’s accomplishments they want it handed to them.

15. Concretecomet

Concretecomet Karting

Oct 10, 2021
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I was born in California in 1973, we moved out this last summer, it blows my mind how much it has changed....

Texas Forever likes this.
  16. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    This was 2017 or so. I don't think it's changed that much since then, sure maybe it goes a bit up or down with political stuff but nothing drastic. If we compare to 20 or 30 years ago I have no idea though. It probably helps a lot LA has a massive car culture.

FrancisK likes this.
  17. FrancisK

FrancisK Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2021
    Midwest

Okay good to know it’s not all bad, but as silly as it may sound A LOT has changed since 2017…

flat_plane_eddie likes this.
  18. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    These acts are the remnants of the Georgia Floyd protests. Property damage was not condemned last summer, it was celebrated. It is referred to a a protest when you break someone else's stuff because you are angry at someone. These jerks who damage other people's property really think they are doing the right thing. We live in a country run by idiots and the masses are becoming dumber every day.

Extreme1, wax, Texas Forever and 7 others like this.
  19. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Not really. We are just becoming more aware as to how dumb this country really is. Until last year. I just thought I was the average guy. Now i realize that compared to the current crop of idiots, I look like Einstein.

20. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    My 458 has been keyed 3 times. I have yet to fix any of them. I figure people will stop doing it as it becomes less and less relevant putting ANOTHER scratch on it.

flat_plane_eddie, VAF84 and Julia like this.
  21. Dave Bertrand

Dave Bertrand Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    By that logic, every time you buy a new car you should scratch the hell out of it in order to discourage someone else from scratching the hell out of it.

22. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    Your comment makes no sense to me. I said I assume it will happen less now because they a$$hats won't feel like they are wrecking something nice/expensive.

Concretecomet likes this.
  23. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
    I used to live in Springfield! There wasn't much of an exotic car show scene there then, but there were several exotic car dealers in town. I'd go by sometimes on nice summer evenings to press my nose against their plate glass... :) Fun roads not too far away from town, too.

24. Concretecomet

Concretecomet Karting

Oct 10, 2021
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Unfortunately Ianjoub is right. It doesn’t have to be a Ferrari to be a target, in the Bay Area even my work truck was keyed, and everyone told me it because I keep it “too nice”. It’s a black Denali and always spotless and waxed. I really believe he’s right that if it is in stunning perfect condition it’s much more of a target

Texas Forever likes this.
  25. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    It has everything to do with location. Where I live most people don't even know what kind of car it is, but I bet if I drove into a city more people will be able to identify it and if it's the bad section then I could see someone getting upset with the cars presence. I think jealousy makes some people do dumb things to other's property because of where and how they were raised. Go to a better part of town and you will find people that respect the fact that you worked hard to be able to have a nice car. Just the way people are...