How do you look after carbon fiber trim? | FerrariChat

How do you look after carbon fiber trim?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by 456mgt, Mar 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 456mgt

456mgt Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2002
    Cambridge UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I'm getting a bit concerned by how easy it is to scuff the carbon fiber on the Stradale. I caught the door bin with my shoe and it has definitely taken the gloss finish off. It's either not particularly resiliant, or this is removal of a laquer topcoat.

Does anyone have any tips, either to prevent it happening, or to refurbish it? The damage is barely visible so far, but I can see it being a problem over time.

Thanks

Kevin

2. murph7355

murph7355 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    SE England Yorkie
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Kevin

I believe Mer silicon-free bumper polish is very good for keeping carbon nice and polishing it up.

Have search on www.blatchat.com and you should find some info. CF on a 7 is quite common these days :)

If the polish you use has silicon in it, you'll find a white residue forms...

You're a very lucky man on the car - superb machine! I VERY nearly got a black one but whimped out. I suspect I may live to regret that, especially having seen the Geneva show photos :(

3. 456mgt

456mgt Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2002
    Cambridge UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Thanks Murph! Appreciate it.

Kevin

4. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

There's a product used 303 Protectant that is perfect for cf. The problem with the Stradale (and Enzo) is that Ferrari uses inferior carbon fiber.

5. 456mgt

456mgt Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2002
    Cambridge UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Sounds interesting. Is it a spray, protective film? A supplier would be good to know too. Nothing much I can do about the quality of Ferrari CF except maintain what's there!

Thanks

Kevin

Edited to add: if it's this, did you have a particular product in mind? http://www.303products.com/main.php?infopage=home

6. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Hmm, wouldn't some type of a haze remover work to polish it up again? You could try a small area and see what happens.

If you're worried about certain areas maybe you could use a cut-to-size plastic with adhesive backing to protect the vulnerable spots.

7. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

Kevin,
    That's it. It's the protectant. It's the first thing under products. You are correct in that all you can do is maintain what's on the car.

8. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    I wonder about Crystalguard. Info on it has (I think) been posted here before--it is supposed to have teflon or some kind of fibers in it that protect the finish.

I'll also check with a few bike shops. I have several bicycles with carbon fiber parts--perhaps there is a protectant made for them.

Scott

9. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Yeah, Scotty. It's 303. That's all I use on my carbon fiber bicycles (Parlees)

10. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    i'm old enough now that i don't need a babysitter... :D

Seriously, how about emailing/PMing/contacting some of the sponsors here on the chat, who specialize/sell carbon fiber-related materials... Since they work with it all the time, maybe they have an answer...

11. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J
    kEVIN,

I spoke to amourfend about a small layer over the lower section to protect against just that...its not expensive and they make a thinner film that will not damage the carbon when removed..

Give them a call...

I asked the fitter on this when he was installing your car..

Joe

12. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Excuse my ignorance, but isnt CF more durable then other materials? I was thinking of getting a skidplate made to go under my front spoiler to absorb shock/take abuse from accidental bottom-outs....

This makes me wonder if such is worth it at all.

13. Burnout

Burnout Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Canada
    Carbon's big advantage is its high strength for low weight. As far as durability, it can take some abuse, but when it starts to delaminate, its done.

14. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Interesting. Thus it will not make a good skid plate. Why does the S7 use a CF plate then (I think)

I do not want to lower my car/get a set of springs until I know that I can some how protect the front end from damage.

15. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

Hi Kevin, I wld think that it cld be clearcoated (uerythane? lacquer?) again if it really looked bad enough. Im no expect, but Im not sure a silicone-based product like 303 is your best choice.

I think NNO is right - what wld the ppl @ Valence USA have to say?

GG

16. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    wasn't there a discussion on the long term strength of CF, especially as it relates to supercars like enzo and the f50, I though someone said trying to get 20-30 years out of structural CF was nuts, maybe my memory is going :)

17. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    It is a question of quality. The carbon fiber I bought from Valence is easy to clean, I hit the bottom of the door alot but it wipes right off. After seeing the Valance stuff the quality of what Ferrari put in is nowhere near the same. Maybe the guys at Valence can give you some advice.

18. 456mgt

456mgt Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2002
    Cambridge UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Many thanks all. Definitely a few options there. I'll do some digging and report back.

Kevin

19. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    The stuff from Valence and other high qualilty carbon constructors is far superior to what's on Ferrari's street cars. The good carbon can be hit with a hammer and will be left with not a scratch. It will also ring when struck. The poorly made cf that's on the car right now is not nearly as resilient. BTW, if you need to touch up the wet lay-up CF on the stradale or Enzo, you can use clear nail polish.

20. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    I noticed this on my Ducati, as well. The stuff that comes branded under the Ducati name is of fairly poor quality, whereas some of the aftermarket stuff is far more robust. Sunlight alone reduced one of the bike fenders to a dull chalky looking mess. I will also look into some of the products mentioned.

21. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

Bill,
    PM me with what parts are having the problems. I know someone who can refinish them for you, although I might be able to help you find better CF parts. Ducati Performance carbon is not very good.

22. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J
    #22 360CS, Mar 5, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

Hey I met Paul Hill of Hill Engineering last night guy,s, he makes an aliuminium part to fit under the nose to save the day. He also had a graet 360 Dead pedal he had just finished really nice too.

Paul dont for get and get mine made asap.

Cheers

Joe
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    premier motorsport (david freed) in culver city makes some very nice skid pads for the modena and the stradale. i believe they are teflon or some other appropriate material. they can be easily installed. he'll ship them along with installation instructions. his number is 310-559-1562.

24. murph7355

murph7355 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    SE England Yorkie
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Mer Exterior/Bumper Gel is apparently the stuff Kevin.

Armourfend also sounds like a very good idea.

25. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Yes I have a good contact with Paul. He is a great guy and I respect his work greatly.

When he has 328 sills made, I will be the first to get them!