1956 USAF Sabre crash North Vancouver | FerrariChat

1956 USAF Sabre crash North Vancouver

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by NaO, Oct 20, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NaO

NaO Karting

Apr 23, 2017
    Hey my gents and gals. No self promotion here just wanted to share a recent video I shot checking out the F86 crash in 56’ on grouse mountain. As an AV-enthusiast it was very intense, so I thought I would share.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I enjoyed it, I would love that hike and viewing the crash site would be a bonus.

TheMayor likes this.
  3. NaO

NaO Karting

Apr 23, 2017
    Thanks Rob! Definitely a trek but very worthwhile. If you ever find yourself on the North Shore it’s definitely recommended!

rob lay likes this.
  4. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I once took the gondola to the top of Grouse Mountain. Quite a view of the city from up there!

5. niklas

niklas Formula 3

Apr 25, 2008
    Chilliwack BC
    Full Name:
    N. Olafsson
    Never even heard of this and it’s right in my back yard. Crazy!

6. NaO

NaO Karting

Apr 23, 2017
    Ya it took a bit of digging. Even people that have lived in the vicinity their whole lives didn’t know it was a USAF plane. Many thought it was a small commercial or private aircraft.

7. niklas

niklas Formula 3

Apr 25, 2008
    Chilliwack BC
    Full Name:
    N. Olafsson
    Shame they took basically everything away but left the engine. Would’ve been interesting to see the remains of the plane still there

8. NaO

NaO Karting

Apr 23, 2017
    From things I’ve read is there was an issue with tourists taking pieces of the plane as souvenirs. I couldn’t fathom doing that, pretty disrespectful if you ask me.

9. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I don't know where I saw it but someone found the Flying Wing crashsite in the Mohave Desert and even today, they found shards and materials from the plane at the site.

10. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    There are many crash sites in Europe where they are still finding remnants of bombers and fighters. Sometimes the whole thing.

TheMayor likes this.
  11. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    And they sometimes fish them out of waterways, sometimes in surprisingly good condition.

12. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Indeed; regarding the jets of the fifties / sixties / seventies, we tend to forget nowadays that their accident rate was high. Quite a number of F-86 crashed in France when the USAF had them at Etain and Phalsbourg; a few examples can be found browsing through the following pages:

http://www.forgottenjets.warbirdsresourcegroup.org/f86f-sabre_531072-531228.html

http://www.c-and-e-museum.org/Pinetreeline/metz/otherm4/otherm4-6.html

Rgds

13. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    USAF Class A Mishap Rate for fighters in the 50s was 54.2, it is now less than 2 (accidents per 100,000 flying hours).

14. NaO

NaO Karting

Apr 23, 2017
    #14 NaO, Nov 3, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2021
    That’s good to know! I do want to do more of these types of videos in the near future. There’s a Candair North Star that went down on another local mountain a few years after the Sabre Jet (no survivors) and quite a few WW2 incidents on Vancouver Island, both of which I’ll cover in the next little while. But I needed a reason to get to Europe and I think I’ve found it ;)

15. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    That's a very telling statistic, Terry; yes, the fifties were a very interesting period for avaition, with lots of progress regarding speed, performance, etc...but it came at a price. Growing up in the seventies, during the cold war, I had lots of oportunities to see american, canadian and french tactical jets flying around my little town on the North-East of France, but reading the newspapers, you could see that accidents happened rather frequently.

Rgds

16. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Do your homework before, as I am not sure that anything remains.
    Accidents did happen, and quite frequently, but in my part of France, North-East, when there were lots of airbases at the time (Marville, Phalsbourg, Etain, Nancy, Metz, Strasbourg-Entzeim, Grostenquin, Zweibrücken, Bade-Solligen, Ramstein, Bitburg, etc...all in a 75 miles radius around my little town) the country is rather densely populated and farmed, so whenever an accident happened, airplane pieces and parts were quickly collected after the standard enquiry and everything was cleaned...not sure you would find any interesting remains.
    When I was a kid, there was a U.S Army Air Forces P-47 wreck, still rather complete, in a forest nearby, but the site has been methodically cleaned and returned to nature in the seventies.

Rgds

rob lay likes this.
  17. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Dog Sabre.

F-86D.

The (beginning) of the video showed a F-86F - wrong.

Most likely the pilot was assigned to either the 317th or 318th Fighter Interceptor Squadron. Both of those units flew the Dog out of McChord.

RIP

18. NaO

NaO Karting

Apr 23, 2017
    Thanks for differentiating! Always good to learn! Unfortunately when it comes to YT they are very strict on copyright, and finding usable sources (especially for a 50s Sabre jet) can be tedious.

19. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Almost everyone automatically gravitates to the F-86A, E, and F.

The USAF also fielded the D and H.

USN and USMC - FJ-2, FJ-3/FJ-3M and FJ-4/FJ-4B.

20. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Easy to tell the difference, the F-86D is ugly and the F-86F is pretty. Jimmy Durante radome makes the the D distinctive.

Rifledriver likes this.
  21. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Cool video. For the NY’ers, there’s B-47 wreckage on Wright Peak just outside of Lake Placid In the Adirondacks that’s pretty accessible. Similar to this, there isn’t much left. Just some tires, engines, and twisted aluminum from what I recall when I was there probably 10 years ago. There is a B-52 crash site on Elephant Mtn in Maine that still has substantial pieces of the fuselage. I have yet to make it up to that one.

22. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    My dad loved the Dog best of the 86s. Coming from a guy who flew Mustangs and Lightning’s too, looks may have been deceiving…

ralfabco likes this.
  23. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

526th FIS Dog. 86th FIW - Ramstein A.B.

Wing CO's aircraft.

I hope the 0-6 did not sell the 300 SL Roadster too soon. That car would cover for a nice down payment, on a property in Niceville or Shalimar :D.

24. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    Beautiful plane. Love it.

edit: and SL!

ralfabco likes this.
  25. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    My 4 little boys loved their B Model (built by Bob) and literally " flew " the wheels off of it. Sorry, I can't get my photo of the kid's- sized F-86 that I built for them to load.

ralfabco likes this.