OpenTrack/Haggerty dont cover Ferraris anymore? | FerrariChat

OpenTrack/Haggerty dont cover Ferraris anymore?

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by jmX, Nov 9, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jmX

jmX Rookie

Jul 8, 2020
    Southern California
    Got my first track day coming up and I can't find a provider that'll give me coverage on a 488 Pista. It's not a racing event, so maybe I don't need it, but given I've never done one I'd rather be safe than sorry as I don't know how risky the group will actually be.

Any other providers who you know will provide Ferrari insurance? Even partial coverage could be considered - losing 200k vs 400k feels like a tradeoff that's worth $1500 to me.

PS, I did a search and OpenTrack/haggerty are who people on here were using, so maybe the Ferrari exclusions are recent.

2. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    I'm not where I can search for you, but there are actually multiple threads recently regarding this issue. I haven't found anyone who'll still offer track insurance for a Ferrari.
    That said; the case has been made that you're pretty unlikely to incur cover-able damage at the track, unless you're really driving way over your head.

3. jmX

jmX Rookie

Jul 8, 2020
    Southern California
    Yeah - definitely found threads here where people were talking about this topic, but didn't see any alternative providers proposed. I'm not sure I'm willing to risk a $500k item just to have fun on a track yet. We can afford to lose it but I'm not sure the risk/reward is right.

May be best I just go to the event and if I feel uncomfortable with the people around me I'll just hop off and call it quits early.

4. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    I have used ontrack as recently as a month ago. no issues. they just limit the coverage to $175k. So for my 458 that was about right for awhile. Now it looks like the 458 could sell for $225k or more. I'm ok with that risk. I just don't want to go in without any coverage at all.

5. jmX

jmX Rookie

Jul 8, 2020
    Southern California
    #5 jmX, Nov 9, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2021
    Thanks - after your message I called and just got off the phone with Mr Katz at OnTrack. He said I should absolutely not take partial coverage on a car due to how the policy works. If I took a 175k policy out on a $450k car, as soon as the damage hits 70% of the policy they total the car. Its not 70% of the value of the car, its of the policy, according to him. On a 458 at $225 it might make some sense, but for me it'd mean at $140k of damage my car would become totalled. Sounds weird, but he wouldn't even sell me a policy due to that.

May be time to get on a GT3 wait list!

6. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    ok wow missed the part about the $450k. Yes, Mr. Katz was reluctant to do my then $190k car at $175k but I told him I was fine eating $25k if I wrecked just not $190k.

still, why not just double your premium or something? to not even offer coverage seems odd

7. WillskiGT

WillskiGT Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 12, 2017
    OnTrack and Lockton both provide coverage for Ferraris, but it is limited to $175k and $150k respectively and is quite a bit more expensive than a similarly valued Porsche/Corvette/etc.

If you need a higher value policy, I would look into a boutique insurance company.

8. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    The risk during an HPDE, especially with an instructor, is quite low. Just keep it in SPORT mode and your instructor will likely limit you to maybe 30% of the capabilities of the car. For any traffic, since it is your first track day, your instructor will likely make you give a point-by signal for them to pass you safely.

The risk is so low and life is too short to not enjoy your car. It is impossible to fully enjoy a Pista, or for that matter, any modern Ferrari outside of a track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. jmX

jmX Rookie

Jul 8, 2020
    Southern California
    Never found any track coverage, but I did the event anyway. It was fantastic and I drove well within my limits - my beginner group felt very safe. The car was like having a video game cheat code out there - it made me into a super hero even though it was my first road course event. I've only done SCCA AutoCross and drag racing previously in corvettes/camaros.

A Pista on a track was a whole new level, and Thermal Club kept the track pretty clean so no damage to the whole car PPF or windshield ppf either. Overall would give it 10/10 experience.

PS, as for track insurance, there were a few folks there that I hope had it...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

trumpet77, c4b4the04 and 3POINT8 like this.
  10. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    good for you man glad you are actually using your car!

11. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy

Good for you! I hope to see you at the FCA events around the country. Many folks have their car shipped to the events and just enjoy the days on track. It seems you are on the west coast but we have quite a few east coast FCA events each year. I do agree, the car is phenomenal at another level on a track!