F430 shock | FerrariChat

F430 shock

Discussion in '360/430' started by PKIM, Oct 28, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PKIM

PKIM Karting

Jan 1, 2004
    Redlands
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Has anyone replaced their OEM shocks with aftermarket coilovers? I’m pretty sure my front passenger side shock is blown. I took it off the spring and did the compression test and it didn’t come back up. I also did the driver side and that returns after compression but it’s very slow, is that normal?

2. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    colorfull and PKIM like this.
  3. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    I don’t think the shock will return to fully extended quickly, without the spring on it.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

I agree. I don’t think that is the test to determine whether a shock is “blown”. Remember, it’s just a “dampener”. Maybe I’m wrong. Is it leaking fluid? In my experience that is a better indication of a “blown” shock.

jag-oo-r likes this.
  5. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Resistance in and out is the key if a shock is gone ..a good shock will have pretty good resistance both ways
    .if little to.no resistance then probably gone

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

6. PKIM

PKIM Karting

Jan 1, 2004
    Redlands
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Thanks for all the reply, I’m pretty sure the one shock that has no rebound probably lost all the gas? I don’t see any wet leaking areas. I’m going to reach out to MadenoRacing and also Performance shock in Sonoma.

7. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Just because I'm a stickler for accuracy when the word actually changes the meaning: it's a damper, not a dampener. A dampener will dampen (moisten, make wet) things, whereas a Damper will damp (attenuate/ slow / reduce) things.

there are a couple of ways a shock can be "blown", but the most common (as you've stated) is leaking. Valves also age, as does fluid; all of this can combine to a failed shock as well.

8. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Are these shocks not adjustable, what is its setting on removal ?

9. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    THINKFAST likes this.