2020 F40 Icona ...Its Coming, Get Excited!!!! | Page 29 | FerrariChat

2020 F40 Icona ...Its Coming, Get Excited!!!!

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by FerrariFR33458, Mar 2, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    as I mentioned earlier I like the name 'Le Mans' but Icona2 will probably have a stronger Italian connection again for it's name?

F140C likes this.
  2. Jonathan19

Jonathan19 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 13, 2017
    France
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    Okay, thank you very much for your answer.

3. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Since it’s based on the P4 and built on the LaF platform, LaP4? ;) Luckily—with LdM gone—no chance of that happening, ha-ha.

Looking at the camo’d car, I expect there will be quite a bit of the LaF bones and aero philosophy showing through (what @isot defined as “involucro”, or design envelope) the expected P4-inspired surface. For instance, the front fenders look to be similarly outrigged from the A-pillar, as on the LaF.

The mystery remains how they mash these two shapes together:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

611LW, of2worlds, isot and 2 others like this.
  4. isot

isot Formula 3

May 6, 2012
    Lucca
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    #704 isot, Nov 10, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2021
    The car is based on the LF aperta, so the chassis is with non roof-structural parts. They’ve probably changed the arch behind the windshield to reach the same shape from the P4 one...otherwise it will look like the F50, with the glass triangle

5. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    People are waiting for a rounded car and they will be disappointed i fear..

maha, polishhammer83, fil and 4 others like this.
  6. ohno

ohno Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2009
    #706 ohno, Nov 10, 2021
    The 330 P4 is the Ferrari with the most beautiful curves, especially at the front fenders. They can never achieve that with the new vehicle.
    I hope (and think) the design of the 2nd Icona is not too retro inspired.
    Look at the new Countach, in my optinion not a masterpiece: Mitja Borkert and the Lamborghini Design Team fell into the "retro trap" and
    Marcello Gandini “destroyed“ them with his press statement...:D Very strange that they are proud of this project after this statement.
    The end of design is to do always the same and not to try to create something different.

Caeruleus11, ingegnere and jm2 like this.
  7. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
    I think that might be a good thing, otherwise people will immediately say Ferrari copied DeTomaso and their P72.

I'm sure Manzoni knew he and his team had to come up with something different. Just a few more days, now...

8. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    This proves that there is such a thing as “too round”, LOL!

The Monza SPs, for example, had the perfect mix of well controlled convex surfaces and some sharp edges and rounded corners to add muscle and tension in the surfaces.

Also because a squarer shape is more space efficient, I expect the “P4” Icona to be similar in surfacing to the 296 but with maybe boxier front fenders, like the LaF it’s based on.

Caeruleus11, isot, ohno and 3 others like this.
  9. ohno

ohno Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2009
    Very well said! I´ve seen one of the clay models of the Monza SP1 from the Centro Stile at a design-exhibition in 2019 and I was overwhelmed!

10. ohno

ohno Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2009
    #710 ohno, Nov 10, 2021
    It could look like that.
    It's a shame they're now throwing these coats over the prototypes and trying to stop people like Ingegnere (who has a very good eye) from drawing the final deal for us exactly (without any speculations). Or did they design these winter coats because of Ingegnere?:D

11. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    LOL, true. It used to be like a light wind breaker but now it’s like a padded (imbuttito) coat that’s making it very hard to guess what’s underneath. :)

BTW, it can’t be very good having that thick foam padding all over the car to get valid test data, especially for noise and because of the wind noise, buffeting and flapping created by the camo. I propose they do away with all camo! ;)

12. maha

maha F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2014
    dinajpur, bangladesh
    Full Name:
    mahmud
    The detomaso wanted to reinterpret those sixties curves but to my eyes it ended up looking like a: what can i say... somewhat comical doppelganger of the original thing ¿?

13. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    With the reveal date fast approaching here are a couple more (very) rough sketches—done over lunch :p—putting together the info gleaned from the camo cars and input from some of the posters here.

My thoughts on how the LaF will be adapted to this new P4 Icona:

JTSE30, arhimede, Tenney and 17 others like this.
  14. Jonathan19

Jonathan19 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 13, 2017
    France
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    It's dope! Can't F****** wait!

ingegnere likes this.
  15. ohno

ohno Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2009
    Very clean shape (has a bit of the 296 GTB in it). I also think the front is flatened (as you have drawn it). The side view is the big mysterium... well let´s wait and see!

polishhammer83 and Lcawley like this.
  16. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Thank you for sharing this great sketch.
    Somehow, the shape of the wing does not seem right to me (both in this and your previous drawing). To me it does not seem very Ferrari.

elmadi and Lcawley like this.
  17. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Thanks again for your contribution!
    Spot on as always !

ingegnere, Lcawley and of2worlds like this.
  18. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    I agree, no idea if there’s a wing and what it will look like but there seems to be something protruding above the rear quarters. Maybe two small winglets each side like FXX K (?). Maybe nothing. :)

of2worlds likes this.
  19. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    I agree about it looking like the 296. The thought occurred to me as I was drawing it. Based on the fact Ferrari rarely carry the same design features to different cars, probably the Icona will be very different from the 296.

The Icona LaF mules had the rear quarter intakes relatively low and using a modified LaF intake so maybe as drawn the intake is too high. But then, it wouldn’t look like a 330 P4, right.

95spiderman likes this.
  20. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Given that these will be part LaF do you think that this may affect the value of LaF with some owners putting their cars on the market to buy the new car?

May the Horse be with you

21. babgh

babgh Karting

Dec 21, 2016
    Good take on rendering the P3 Icona. I think ferrari will use a similar headlight to the monza sp1/sp2 based on the spy shots. Anyway I can't wait for it to be released

polishhammer83 and ingegnere like this.
  22. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    I think the whole back half of the body is raised up but with a more aggressive wing than the show car P80C received. The P4 had a low front end with a rounded cabin and a raised rear deck. The Icona2 caters to that theme. Why else stick those elevated mirrors on the front fenders? The earlier prototype had mirrors sticking out on very long horizontal posts from farther back on the body. They need elevation or distance to see over that massive rear quarter. The rear spoiler is more of a tray.
    Bigger than on these views of the show car aero spoiler package >
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

I believe these Icona2 cars are many months away because they will be built after both versions of the 812C are built. Also the motor supply issue. They will use the same V12 motor in a similar spec currently going into the 812C cars.

We need to see a drawing of the rear view with big round tail lights! :)

23. atomicskiracer

atomicskiracer Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Full Name:
    Ryan
  24. ohno

ohno Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2009
    As Ingegnere already showed in his first drawing, a similar detail solution is to be expected on the bonnet.
    For the rest I also expect something similar to what you describe. And this beautiful P80/C deserved to
    be a car in the Icona range...

Attached Files: