Review of our AF SF90 - is this car what people say it is? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Review of our AF SF90 - is this car what people say it is?

Discussion in 'SF90 Stradale' started by Lukeylikey, Jul 13, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    The front motors run out of revs at 220 kph and that's why they disengage. Then the charge of the battery goes to the rear motor that doesn't have such an issue, as it powers the gearbox. The SF90 will be significantly quicker than the 296 by virtue of its much higher power/weight ratio; 100 kilos is not much of a difference at those weights.

Caeruleus11 and of2worlds like this.
  2. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    My estimation is the SF90 will have roughly 560 hp/1000 kg while the 296 will have roughly 510 hp/1000kg

both will be ridiculously quick. The 296 will be slightly less quick, much better looking, and probably more fun.

3. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
    So does SF90 provide full 1000 hp in qualifying mode also after the speed exceeds 220 kph i.e. is the rear e-motor alone able to provide 220 hp?

4. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Yes

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  5. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    #55 Lukeylikey, Nov 11, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2021
    I also think the 296 will be an amazing car. The auto car video on SF90 track and road concludes that other Ferrari V8s are as much fun as SF90, which is basically true. However, they drove on track and some open fast roads. When you drive over a much more varied and demanding set of roads, the SF90’s abilities really shine, more than the rear driven, mid engined cars (of which we own three great ones) IMO. As I mentioned before, the front wheels are not so much used to make it feel 4wd but to keep the front planted given all the power the car can make. Leary oversteer is always available on demand at any moment. The auto car guy commented that the car always wants to be straight, like a usual 4wd supercar, but that was not my feeling at all and I suspect he was perhaps projecting his expectation given everyone knows the car is awd. You have to drive quite well to keep it straight and fast and if you don’t concentrate it’s very easy to not drive straight, especially on the best roads such as in mountains or canyons. It does feel different to the non-hybrid V8s and both are brilliant in their own way but to me, the SF90 justifies its place and price quite easily.

As for looks, the 296 is what a replacement to the 458/488/F8 line should look like. Right size, right type of styling. The SF90 looks like something designed to compete at Aventador level. It has tremendous presence and in the flesh gets 90% very favourable comment, !0% less favourable. I think that’s as good or better than most cars.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  6. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Regarding power/weight, Ferrari claims 1.57 kg/CV for the Stradale and 1.77 for the 296, resulting in 6.7'' for the 0-200 kph dash (even though we know from independent tests that it is much quicker than that), vs 7.3''.

7. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I spoke to the shop manager at my dealer Friday regarding weight of the 296. It is within 100 kg of the SF90. It is a 1600+ kg car. It is much, much heavier than the F8. In fact, F8 power-to-weight and 296 power-to-weight will be close to identical. He wouldn't qoute me the excat number they had scaled it at, but he said it was about the same as an 812SF. And that is about 1650 kg with a half tank of fuel and CF seats.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

ScrappyB and of2worlds like this.
  8. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    It is not much quicker. 6.7 seconds is what it does. You’re quoting one QR test which was significantly quicker than any other. Ferrari doesn’t understate performance. If anything it used to be the opposite. Ferrari is claiming 100-200 km/h in 4.4 for the 296 and 4.2 for the Sf90. That tells me they’ll be pretty darn close.

9. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Well that totally sucks and doesn’t sound like “fun to drive” to me. What’s the point of the V6 and less E motors if the weight savings over the SF90 isn’t a lot?

10. Rrr1

Rrr1 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2018
    Full Name:
    Rrr1
    Better looking than the Sf - did I read that right.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

REALZEUS and of2worlds like this.
  11. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
    If I have read and understood Ferrari press releases correctly, then dry weights are as follows:

F8 Tributo: 1330 kg
    296 GTB AF: 1470 kg
    296 GTB: 1485 kg
    SF90 AF: 1570 kg
    SF90: 1600kg

So obviously 296 GTB is 140-155 kg heavier than F8. However, it is still 100-115 kg lighter than SF90. Given the specific features of the cars, I don't think you can single out one particularly heavy car out of these three.

12. Rrr1

Rrr1 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2018
    Full Name:
    Rrr1
    IMO sf90 with AWD and torque vectoring makes it a far superior car on the track and in windy roads. I experienced what having those does on the track this week and it is a night and day the speeds you can carry relative to my pista or the superfasts I was running past.

13. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Those numbers are way off. Not sure where you got those from.

Tributo has never been 1330. The official weight is 1435 kg.

My dealer was advised that the weight of the 296 should 1550 kg with CF wheels dry. It turned out to be more. There's less than 100 kg seperating the SF90 and 296.

Looking that the cars that makes perfect sense. A V6 is not that more heavier than a V8, and those two small electric motors in the front aren't what makes the difference either. Each are less than 10 kg. I can lift a 300 hp electric motor with one hand easy.

of2worlds likes this.
  14. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    and speaking of SF90 any progress on your build yet to share?

15. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
    All figures are from official Ferrari press releases.

F8 Tributo official dry weight is 1330 kg and official kerb weight is 1435 kg. Ferrari stopped giving us kerb weights for its hybrid cars so we really should be comparing dry weights only.

Also, according to Ferrari, the difference between 296 GTB and SF90 is 100 kg (with lightest options). If the figures differ in real world, the primary reason is likely to be that selected options differ in compared cars.

REALZEUS likes this.
  16. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
    I don't think Ferrari lies about those weights, but they certainly make sure the lightest possible figure is quoted always.

I think Assetto Fiorano packages were introduced for hybrid models partly because they wanted to get official weight figures down. Of course it is also a particularly good business for them. I suppose it is a win-win situation both for Ferrari and its customers.

One weight manipulation tactic Ferrari is quilty of practicing is that for new models they emphasize dry weight, but as model gains age it starts to use kerb weigh at their official site. I'm not saying it happens always, but it does happen.

17. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    I can’t fathom how my F8 would feel with a 300 pound passenger, which is what you’re basically adding with the 296 (but with lower centre of gravity, obviously).

18. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Haven't seen another 0-200 time slower than what QR achieved.

19. KZEVO

KZEVO Karting

Jul 25, 2021
    Looks are subjective and respect the views. For what it's worth, I have seen both 296 and SF90 last week. 296 looks better in the flesh but doesn't compare to the SF90. SF90 commands attention.

20. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
    https://corporate.ferrari.com/en/296-gtb-defining-fun-drive

The MGU-K’s improved design allows it to reach maximum torque of 315 Nm, around 20% more than previous applications.

So this suggest that the e-motor of 296 GTB provides 20% (around 50 Nm) more torque than in LaFerrari and/or SF90. How come it then produces less power than in SF90? Have to say this e-motor business is such a secret society.