Potential new differential option | FerrariChat

Potential new differential option

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by c4b4the04, Nov 10, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy
    I start this post by saying I have AND LOVE my Newman diff....not a single thing against it or the great dude Paul is....

I was at SEMA and I talked to the Wavetrac folks. They build a gear-driven differential for a lot of different vehicles, using their internal gearing instead of friction plates. That said, I was asking about new applications. They would be willing to draw up the part BUT there is a minimum of units they would do (I think it was 30). That is a lot of money to put out for something on one person, so they would almost have to be a group buy. Would people be interested or does this flood an already-saturated market? The Newman diff is a drop-in replacement but he doesn't always have them. The Superformace UK one is available and comes with new steels and clutches, anyone have input on that one? This would be a third or possibly fourth (I think there was one other when I was looking a year ago) unit, but it has the advantage of being modern designed and factory produced.

The unit replaces the internal clutches and steels with helical gears, no clutch material to wear into your gearbox oil. No additives needed, no rebuilds necessary and it can take any power you put down to it (well, assuming everything else in our fragile boxes stays together!). http://www.wavetrac.net/technical.htm is the tech side of it...I was unfamiliar with this style differential.

Anyway, wondering if this is a service to the community I should pursue. It appears someone got as far as having the drawings done up for these (I'd bet that person is on this board). I may be able to get the ball rolling and see where that takes us. I could also see what minimums I could get done. The downside is it is NOT a factory-style differential. I'm not sure anyone could ever tell the difference but I know there are purists...!

Cassidy

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    so like a torson differential? such a diff I wanted to put in my car about 15 years ago but have not found any. so I put in a MODENA diff from australia. meanwhile I repaired 4 gearboxes with such a diff. and this diff is complete finished, not like paul´s where you have to put the inside parts in.

how much would be the price for a set of 30 pieces each?

but I wonder alittle: at their homepage it says limited lifetime warranty, so what now? live time or limited? or may be translation-/understanding problem?

MaseratiMike likes this.
  3. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    IMHO - There are already plenty out there. I think 4 or 5 now. Every time someone get's involved with trying to develop one for the TR, they discover it's too difficult and not worth the effort for such few cars.

You can make the journey and we'll all watch with hopes and dreams. But you may find even at 30 pieces you likely won't get anything cheaper or better than what's already tried and true. I believe Paul's journey is documented on this site.

4. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy
    http://www.wavetrac.net/download/Wavetrac_Differential_Warranty.pdf

Looks like as long as you don't modify it, you get a lifetime, transferrable to new owner warranty.

That is a plus....nothing on these cars carries a warranty for very long!

As for market saturation, I agree there are options. The thing that appealed to me was the cost and availability. I think it would be an all-in-one solution but making up the number of people that would need one is critical or the whole point is moot. I don't readily have a spare output stub axle for them to draw....and I'm not taking mine back out over the winter to draw it! Maybe GTCP would be interested in being involved?

5. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    scott, when I needed stronger main- and lay/pinionhaft and also new crown and I asked for 1 pieces I have been shocked about the price. they told me they first have to measure all and and have to write the program. when I asked for 3 sets I got about 50 % discount, even this has been very much but I ordered those 3 sets, sold one for a little less than normal price and so had 2 sets for myself for not even the half price, 1 set is in my competiton and the other set in a spare gearbox I rebuilt as a reserve. so I think it does not matter if you order 5 diffs or 30 diffs, price will not vary much. for the pinion shaft and crown I also ask the price for 10 sets and they told me same: 50 % discount, when I would order 50 sets or more then they would lower the price again, but they not told me how much.

6. Supernaut

Supernaut Karting

Dec 3, 2019
    Annapolis MD
    Full Name:
    John Panek
    In this context I believe "limited" would mean if it breaks they will replace the diff but not be liable for any other cost arising from the breakage, such as towing or replacement time by a mechanic for the replacement, etc.

turbo-joe likes this.
  7. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    that would make sense
    what about the labor?

8. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Just thinking as a consumer, if I had the option to take the helical over the clutch I'd take the helical hands down. If you can sell them at reasonably close to the same price, you should be able to sell them easily.

MaseratiMike and turbo-joe like this.
  9. mechaniker

mechaniker Formula Junior
    Owner

May 30, 2004
    Germany
    Just doing the same, but not a flat 12... Even one set was not as expensive as an original set and with a little more modern material, production and surface finish.

turbo-joe likes this.
  10. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    No listing for TR

11. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    right, but they could make a small production serie

12. MaseratiMike

MaseratiMike Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mike
    It’s always good to have options, keeps our classics running. Depending on price I would be interested

13. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Thanks Cassidy,

I dont always have them because sitting on inventory doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling and the sales seem to go in waves. Making another batch right now because of requests. To date Ive sold around 130 of them since 2005 I believe, so they dont exactly fly off the shelves. Considering 10K flat 12 cars were made, some cars destroyed, some already upgraded and some against the upgrade the pool of buyers shrinks fast. I've made them for 275's and Daytonas as well because the design is very similar and they all share the welded end cap flaw. As said, mine drop in and require minor set up or none at all and the stock parts fit. It just comes down to personal preference on which unit someone buys and not having a potential disaster waiting to happen.

14. JogDog78

JogDog78 Rookie

Feb 28, 2014
    Cincinnati, OH
    Full Name:
    Pete Zink
    Please put me on the list for your differential. With 50,000 miles on my 1992 512TR, I've tempted fate long enough. Would have PM'd you but guess I don't have enough postings yet.