What’s a nice starter watch for a college grad? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

What’s a nice starter watch for a college grad?

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by Husker, Oct 28, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Island Time

Island Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 18, 2004
    E. TN
    Full Name:
    David
    Maybe.

Even though I rarely wear it, the watch my dad gave me (a Hamilton) connects me to my long, lost father. Just knowing it’s in the drawer.

But that’s just me, fwiw. :)

2. AEHaas

AEHaas Formula 3

May 9, 2003
    Osprey, Florida
    Full Name:
    Ali E. Haas
    When I finally got a smart phone I stopped wearing watches, for a while. I do look for the time often. I found myself digging for the phone way too often and went back to a watch. I tried several battery watches but they die at the most inconvenient times. Well I am back to your basic wind up watch. Breitling is one of the best buys for the value, service and reliability. Your offspring may use it, give it up for a while but then most likely come back to it as it will always work.

Ali

3. Westworld

Westworld Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2004
    Timely thread.

Looking to get my first watch (thought my price point is tops $400 right now) for Christmas.

4. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    budget?

5. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    $34

6. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    for 6 more dollars, you can buy this one.

pretty decent, in fact.

off macy.

MrMark likes this.
  7. Westworld

Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2004
    Two newbie questions:

1) For a first time purchase with just one watch, is it better go for a stainless steel or leather strap for everyday, not "suit-and-tie" look?

2) I have rather small wrists. Is it better to go to buy at a store instead of online to make sure the band size and fit is correct for my first watch?

8. AEHaas

AEHaas Formula 3

May 9, 2003
    Osprey, Florida
    Full Name:
    Ali E. Haas
    Easy one. Stainless, at least 200 M and preferably 300 M water resistance, a known brand and always pay extra to start a relationship with a long standing dealership. How many people buy stuff online and then regret it as they are out of luck if something is not right. Service counts a lot for all the things we aspire.

An example. If you buy an Invicta watch, do not buy it on Amazon. Buy from a stocking dealer - they are in every Mall at a minimum. And they are there if you need assistance.

Ali

9. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    ChipG likes this.
  10. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    ChipG likes this.
  11. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    What’s your budget and how do you plan to wear it? If you don’t plan to get it wet, there are watches at all price pints and metals. If you plan to wear it to work in an office as well as to the beach, I’d go with a stainless steel watch with 100m water resistance, a screw down crown, and on a bracelet. There are several Tudor watches around $2,000 that fit these specs. At a lower price point there are several Seiko watches that have equal or better water resistance, but are definitely closer to sports watches. E.G. the SARB series, Seiko 5 series, PADI watches, etc. Glycine also makes some great entry level automatic watches. The attached Glycine has a push/pull crown so not good for water, but at $225, a great entry level automatic that you can also put on a strap.

12. Westworld

Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2004
    Thanks John!
    I'm checking out Citizen, but will look at Glycine.. No plans to get it wet. Plan to wear it in an every day, all settings situation. (causal, formal/professional, ect.).

Maybe some day, once I decide that I like it and get use to them, I would slowly upgrade at some point in future.

13. Wikdstrate

Wikdstrate Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Alec
    Great watch, but an even nicer background! ;)

plastique999 likes this.
  14. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    Lots of nice choices already. I’ll add Hamilton and anything from Eddie at https://www.timefactors.com/

Their Smiths PRS-29 is a great continuation.

15. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Seiko, easy choice for 400 below. You will be amazed by the amount of watch you get for 400.

Jo Sta7 and Westworld like this.
  16. DBomb117

DBomb117 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2019
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Dimitriy
    For starter level I’d say Longines if you want mechanical action. Citizen Eco drive is excellent as well. Once you climb beyond the $2k threshold the field of contenders widens dramatically

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

17. stretchgeneral

stretchgeneral Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 9, 2014
    MA/TX
    Full Name:
    McK
    I got my son a stainless Omega for high school graduation. Then a stainless Rolex when he graduated from college; Both will last forever. I would stay away from a leather band. it will eventually break or he will get irritated with the extra 2 seconds needed to put it on. These two watches can get wet, can take a hit and keep going, yet have some significance from an investment perspective and he feels a connection to me as I wear similar watches.

ChipG, Wikdstrate and ronfrohock like this.
  18. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    and watches can be totally a father and son thing. much safer than cigars.

19. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    I could blow up this thread with a tongue-in-cheek recco involving someone with MAJOR FC history, but I won't, bc I'm not a S**t stirrer anymore! :D

IloveGT likes this.
  20. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    please blow this up!!

21. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    HAHAHA! I'll think about it.

IloveGT likes this.
  22. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    There's nothing shallow about your JCDS that'll go down 3900Meters! LOL

23. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    If your price point is less than $500 Seiko is the answer. Perhaps Casio.

24. zhangster

zhangster Rookie

Feb 8, 2021
    Somewhere in the country
    Full Name:
    Chris Z
    Late to the discussion. I think the answer depends on his personal preference and physique. Personally I would prefer the IWC or Grand Seiko offerings. Low-key and shows good taste to those in the know. But another important factor that cannot be ignored is what his boss is wearing.