Official Daytona Pics | Page 110 | FerrariChat

Official Daytona Pics

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Iceman.1, Sep 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Apparently, it has been going on for awhile already and if not yet, will probably very soon render all or most older restorations, especially those done with halfhearted efforts (i.e. paint, interior and some minimal detail sorting to receive a “Platinum”) and/or non-original colors, etc to be considered and likely valued as “projects”.

2. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    13607 at last year’s Hampton Court Concours. The car is a fairly regular site at many U.K. events.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    The bar for “show car” has been slowly moving-up for the entire time that I have followed the Daytona market (decades), So I don’t think that this “devaluation” is anything new.

Note, however, the quotes around the word “devaluation” above. I think the trend (ignoring the ups-and-downs of the market) is that higher-and-higher levels of restoration pushes up the value of the new standard of “show car”, and this actually tends to lift the value of even “project” cars. So I don’t think anyone is losing money (unless they buy on a peak, and sell on a trough). In fact, I think the reason that one seems to see more restoration is probably just because this trend has finally lifted Daytonas into the realm where folks feel like they can do “cost no object” restorations, and not lose a lot of money if they later sell.

In my mind, “drivers” will/have always been “projects” to folks looking for “show cars”, so the question is whether Daytonas have gotten so expensive that folks that want “drivers” are now such a minority that almost every car is going to be made into a “show car”.

Personally, I don’t think Daytonas are in the only-show strata yet; certainly, the valuations are not there yet...

Daytonafan and Edward 96GTS like this.
  4. bertdeboer340

bertdeboer340 Formula 3

Sep 16, 2003
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert de Boer
  5. dgunn365

dgunn365 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    New London, NH
    Full Name:
    David Gunn
    I am incline to agree. While I have not followed Daytona values closely I believe that the market does get pulled up by the better restorations.
    The car we have bought as a project has many "needs" and the price we paid was no 'bargin'. Fortunately for us we are charged just $0.03/hr. for the work. And, perhaps more important, we bought a car we really like and are looking forward to spending wheel time with. In the end we include future value as only a small part of our thinking as we go along. The real driver is doing it as it was done. while that does have a big influence on the end value it is far more the satisfaction factor we following.

6. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
  7. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Well, with all due respect, but I believe part of your "thinking" is based on perceptions more commonly held in U.S. than, let's say in Europe or UK.
    - I believe Europeans in general drive/use their "vintage" cars more, even outside of attending events or shows and therefor, regardless of restoration level (i.e "show" quality or not), view all or most car as "drivers".
    - Rarity or higher values aren't necessarily rendering cars to "show only" status. Just look at many GTOs, SWBs or any number of other 7- or 8-figure cars, regularly driven at (although often private affair) events. And again, probably more common in Europe than U.S.

- Also, for aforementioned reasons, I believe many or most European vintage car owners are less concerned or worried about the financial aspects of their passion than Americans.
    For example, while myself and majority of my lifelong European vintage car enthusiast friends aren't wealthy or even that well off, we all have cars we've owned for decades, poured gobs of time and money into, but almost never talk or think of their "value" for anything other than what pleasures we derive by driving them as much as possible (= priceless).
    Some of us, including me, have purchased vintage cars at prices most would think idiotically high, but in just about every case they were exceptional and/or rare specimens of something each of us had lusted after for year or decades.
    Another example, my best friend (a European family man, father of 3, working as a service tech for local cable TV/internet provider), recently bought something he's been wanting nearly 40 years and last time he had one available for him was over 30 years ago for a fraction of the money he now paid for this, which like the previous one, is a complete project that will cost him multiple times more than he could ever hope to recover when it's finished. Now that's what I consider true enthusiasm.
    I myself have couple of cars I've owned over 3 decades and others (= "market" if you will) might consider them being worth somewhere in mid-to-high 5-figure range, but I really can't think of any cars valued up to low 7-figures I'd rather have or trade them for, so I just keep racking up miles/smiles with these...

8. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Hi Timo,

My "show only" was about restoration/condition quality of the cars, not about whether they are driven or not.

GTOs are an odd lot, but SWBs are a good example of what I am talking about. Regardless of whether they are driven, rough SWBs are pretty rare these days. Rough Daytonas, by comparison, are pretty common.

Note that I am sure there are rough SWBs out there, but one only has to look at the auction listings to see that SWBs are on average restored to a higher degree that something like a Daytona.

Similarly, I think it is fair to assume that a rough SWB (perhaps sold out of an estate or something) would get restored to a high standard by its next owner. By comparison, I still think that a rough Daytona stands a much higher chance of just being cleaned-up a bit and used as is.

Finally, while I know that there are folks that are unconcerned about being underwater on a car, I also suspect that there are many folks that are concerned about such things. As a consequence, as the value of a car goes up, the pool of people willing to go all-out on a restoration starts to include more and more of the folks in the latter category. Net-net one sees more big restorations.

Going back to your original comment that any Daytona that was not restored to a high/perfect standard would might soon be regarded as a "project", I still think that we are not at that point yet. My sense that there are plenty of imperfect cars, and plenty of folks (even in Europe :)) that would be willing to leave them that way and regard them as "drivers"...

Cheers,
    Alex

JimEakin likes this.
  9. colombo2cam

colombo2cam Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Just to be clear - you are suggesting that a good, never hurt, mechanically sorted car that has been repainted,(possibly in a factory correct but not original color) had the seats and/or carpets replaced is going to have value as a project car in the eyes of Ferrari enthusiasts?

If this is the way we are looking at our cars we have missed the boat. I would much rather have a great original never apart number matching, don't care about paint color being original, fully sorted car than a fully restored "fully disassembled than reassembled" "new car".

10. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    miurasv, Jurassik, swift53 and 10 others like this.
  11. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    was the first USA Spyder I believe? Great picture Marcel, thanks for all these Daitona pictures you are sharing here!

Thomas S. likes this.
  12. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Correct.
    First owner was Mr. Hopkins.

Marcel Massini

readplays likes this.
  13. ms tifosi

ms tifosi Rookie

Mar 4, 2014
    Miss that car still today. We purchased it from Mr Fong and kept it in our collection until the late 2000's. When we sold it the car still had the lead stamp on a string around the steering column where it cleared customs. First event we showed that car was FCA National at Palm Beach Gardens in '86 I believe and were judged next to Mr. Marriott's and Ralph Lauren's Daytona Spiders. Thanks for the pic Marcel always great to reflect!

readplays and 375+ like this.
  14. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
  15. GBTR6

GBTR6 Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2011
    Titletown, USA
    Full Name:
    Perry Rondou
    bertdeboer340 likes this.
  16. ms tifosi

ms tifosi Rookie

Mar 4, 2014
    Believe that was an alloy bodied car that was actually owned by a gentlemen locally in GA for awhile and we procured the sister car #22 and restored it as well before we ended up owning both for short period of time then selling the #21 car. Never forget the sound of that car on the banking at Daytona in the 24 minutes of Daytona pre race parade in 94 or 95. The echo of that V12 at 7400 rpm off the wall was mechanical heaven! Thanks again Marcel...

17. dgunn365

dgunn365 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    New London, NH
    Full Name:
    David Gunn
    Andreas72, did you have the conversion done? We are looking for any details on how the headlight 'carrier' is fastened in. It looks like a triangular piece of steel holds the bottom but we have not seen how the top is fastened. If you have any info or photos it would help. Thank you

18. markus77

markus77 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2019
  19. pantera gr4

pantera gr4 Rookie

Mar 18, 2006
    Paris
    Hello everyone. Dear Marcel. I take again the words of Amenasce about 13901 ... it was indeed on sale in Belgium at the beginning of the year at GIPI ?? I don't really understand about this car ?? thank you !

bertdeboer340 likes this.
  20. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    An object can be physically for sale in one country while it is owned by somebody from another country.

Marcel Massini

pantera gr4 likes this.
  21. pantera gr4

pantera gr4 Rookie

Mar 18, 2006
    Paris
    Yes sure ..thank you for your information .Attached is a bad photo of 13901 racing in 2008 with the Scemama family.best regards.

22. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
  23. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Little difficult to see (on my screen) the last digit on the Berlinetta, but these two seem to feature consecutive registration (plate) numbers.

24. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Both are Swiss dealer license plates BE 512-U and BE 511-U.

Marcel Massini

TTR likes this.