Classic Maserati Blues- Examples Please. Mexico needs repair! | FerrariChat

Classic Maserati Blues- Examples Please. Mexico needs repair!

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by remi, Nov 15, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. remi

remi Karting

Sep 18, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Hi,

You may recall that last year I purchased a '67 Mexico, which had been repainted red over a tan interior in the 80's (photo below). Not the best colour combination- but I've been loving the car, chipping away and improving various things, and doing lots of driving! I had always intended to repaint the car at some stage, as I don't love the colour... which really doesn't suit the Mexico at all in my opinion.

I do quite like the tan interior of my car (also in a photo below), as I am generally a fan of lighter interiors; and the interior of the car has held up very well having been redone when the body and paint was done in the late 80's. As such- I don't plan to revert the car to the original combo of silver over black; and as it has been converted to RHD (as all cars had to be in Australia until not long ago), the super-originality is less important to me.

This issue has been forced as my Mexico was rear-ended in traffic the other day. Young chap on his phone on a downhill slope while we were stopped at a red light, neglected to keep his foot on the brake and so rolled his large work truck into the Mexico at low speed... Damage is all cosmetic to the boot lid which has had paint scraped off it, and a bing ding in the rear bumper. As such- the work my restorer would perform would already include repainting the back 1/3rd of the car, and pulling fuel tanks out etc to remove and repair/ rechrome the rear bumper. Seems like a good opportunity to consider a full bare metal repaint, as the insurance bill would cover a proportion of the work which will have to be done anyway.

With the tan interior, I was keen on one of the classic Maserati metallic blues- and although I've found colour examples on some of the usual websites, the colour balance of the paint chips is all over the place- so it is hard to get an idea of what they really look like in real life. As an example, I've seen Blu Tigullio paint swatches look anything from mid-blue to dark grey!

I've gone through the Mexico registry and found a good bunch of photos- with some possible contenders.

As such- I would appreciate any real-world photos of your classic Maserati GT in blue.

The particular colours I'm considering (all original options for Mexico) are the following:
    - Azzuro Vincennes Met.
    - Blu Ischia Met.
    - Blu Tigullio Met. (possibly my current favourite, example photo below)
    - Celeste Chiaro Met.

Would also consider others too- and apart from Celeste Chiaro I've not seen examples of the others in real life.

Thanks

Remi

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

F456M, PeterJG, staatsof and 4 others like this.
  2. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    I love your color choices, Remi - and also your "Blues" pun, though perhaps unintended. Best of luck and I look forward to seeing pictures of your Mexico as work progresses!
    - Art

3. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    +1
    Blu Tigullio Met.

4. remi

remi Karting

Sep 18, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Thanks - the pun was (sadly) very much intended. Trying to find an upside!

Nembo1777 likes this.
  5. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    Sorry, my Mexico is painted in argento indianapolis, can't help with real pictures in blue. But the blue(s) you handpicked there will look fantastic on your Mexico. I totally agree with the verdict on red Mexicos - red just does not fit....
    CU lbird

F456M likes this.
  6. remi

remi Karting

Sep 18, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    F456M likes this.
  7. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Recently I went through a similar selection process although for an Iso Grifo. Best thing to do is select several colors (which you have already done) and have your painter shoot test cards. Glasurit has formulas for many of the vintage colors. Selecting a color you like is very important so be sure to look at it in different lights. If the color is metallic you want one with very fine metal flakes or the car will look like a bass boat in direct sunlight.
    Ivan

F456M likes this.
  8. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
  9. remi

remi Karting

Sep 18, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Hmm- they may have coded it 'silver' sure, but the photos of the Mexico in that article are not of a silver (Argento Auteil) car that's for sure. Seen plenty of those, and they don't have that blue hue under any light...

10. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    Hi Remi. It looks like Blue Tigullio to me. I am comparing the photo with the Maserati colour wheel I have in front of me. it does look very fitting on a Mexico for sure.

Please post pictures of the repaint whatever you choose.
    Best regards.
    Mark

11. remi

remi Karting

Sep 18, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Thanks Ivan- yes, chatted with the restorer yesterday and he will spray out large test panels for the colours under consideration...

12. remi

remi Karting

Sep 18, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
  13. remi

remi Karting

Sep 18, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Oishi, red27 and MrMark like this.
  14. remi

remi Karting

Sep 18, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia

15. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    That looks very much like I would expect from my colour chip. This however is about a million miles away..

https://www.scuderia-azzurra.com/en/cars/maserati-ghibli-4-7l/

the ‘before’ picture looks like celeste chiaro to me, and the ‘after’ one doesn’t really resemble any Maserati colour I know. Strange because Scuderia Azzurra seem very proud of the standard of their work.

best.
    M

16. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
  17. wilde

wilde Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2009
    France
  18. remi

remi Karting

Sep 18, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Not sure- I'm swinging by this week so will report back...

19. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Looks like lead.

Ivan

20. remi

remi Karting

Sep 18, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    I'll make sure I don't lick it!

21. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Is that a typical prep step in paint jobs there? ;)

22. remi

remi Karting

Sep 18, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    To distract everyone from the Khamsin wars on the other thread, I present here an update on the Mexico. Body is now almost fully stripped, and in excellent shape- other than the doors which I already knew about. Good news for the budget as we just purchased a new house on the weekend!

Also have my test panels to consider, which I have included below. Suffice to say, Blu Tigullio is as presented by the latest contributors to this thread, and not the car I had posted initially I don't think. I shot the test panels in direct sunlight, and also indoors under lighting both with and without a sample of my interior from a door.

Order of the colours (in photo order, and also left to right when all together) is Azzuro Vincennes; Celeste Chiaro; Blu Tigullio; Blu Ischia.

At least on these smaller panels, the Tigullio is much more grey than I expected, although I'm sure on the entire car it will lighten up and perhaps more of the blue would come through. Azzuro Vincennes seems to have that nice mix of blue/ grey/ bit of green that I was thinking of (and perhaps is the example car I had shown in my initial thread)- but again may end up looking lighter on the whole car.

I hope others find it helpful to have these colours side by side in sun and indoors with the same phone camera!

Thoughts from the team?

Thanks

Remi Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

F456M likes this.
  23. remi

remi Karting

Sep 18, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia