6 speed manual search | Page 3 | FerrariChat

6 speed manual search

Discussion in '360/430' started by m3doc, Mar 16, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Oh what I do is I use a hacksaw to remove part of the rear aluminum frame in the car. It gets better access. Then I bolt it back together with bolts from Home Depot and scraps of aluminum sheet. As many shade tree mechanics like to say.. “better than the Ferrari engineers could have done it” bwahahaha :)

ItalGerBrit likes this.
  2. Kent Adams

Kent Adams Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 11, 2020
    . In 2005 the base price plus destination and taxes for the F430 manual was $170k. The market over the last several years has been $200k plus with examples now at $250k sold. Based on the rate of inflation, the car is either keeping up with that rate (at $233k) or exceeding it. How has the 360 done, has it lost value? The 430 manual has not.

3. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    306 Base was $138,225. BAT sales for the model are about $120's to 130's for the manuals. Not bad. I'd say modestly keeping up.

At this point doesn't matter. You're benchmarking that value increase on what it was purchased for. Above applies only if you bought it new and kept it or if someone who paid $170 msrp. For example, sales now are in the $200k plus category for 430s right? So if you spent lets say $140-150 on the car buying it used as a 2nd or 3rd owner.. That means at lets say $210k sales today and bought at $140 to 150, net gain is $60 to $70k.

I bought my 360 factory gated car at LESS than $50k. If I sold it at $110 to $120k. My car has netted a gain as much as the gated 430!
    Though all this proves is current market conditions are insane and you make money when you buy a car.

4. Kent Adams

Kent Adams Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 11, 2020
    My comparison was only to what the vehicle sold for new and what it sells for now as used. From my rather short research, new MSRP 360 gated sold for about the same amount, around $160k for a 2004 model. Therefore, I stick by my comparison. The F430 was a better investment. For the 2 models to be comparable, the gated 360 bought in 2004 for $160k would need to be selling for $200k plus today. BTW, you can go back in the threads of FChat and see that the gated F430's were selling for $200k plus long before Covid inflation.

5. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    $200k plus pricing was a high point before COVID. Every was like "WOW". Some sold below that as well. And if you buy at $180... or $200.. it doesn't matter what the sales price is. There is no appreciation depending on when you buy. At this point in time, comparison to new prices is moot. Same with 360's.

6. Kent Adams

Kent Adams Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 11, 2020
    $200k + pricing has been the norm now for several years. How many years before you concede this is the price point for these cars? It does matter what the sales price was new because that was the benchmark in my argument and you took issue with that argument so the burden is on you to disprove it if you don't agree with it, not to change the measures to fit yours.

I don't agree its moot at all when discussing which has performed better in the market. Clearly the F430 gated has outperformed the 360 from new and that is the bottom line. The buyer of the 2005 F430 gated new won't lose a dime over a 16-17 year ownership, but you can't say the same for the 360 gated buyer.

7. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Point of reference: My '05 3 pedal coupe stickered for 178XXX with some common options i.e. power daytonas, shields, painted calipers, etc. Based on recent BAT sales, I'm guessing it is worth 225-250K. Red/tan, 31K & one owner.

Dave

8. Kent Adams

Kent Adams Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 11, 2020
    The one owner status will certainly bring a premium.

9. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Yes, but if you prefer a 360 manual to any 430, as I do, investment value means less than nothing. The 430 is objectively a better and more valuable car, but I've never bought a Ferrari for objective reasons. :)

hessank and one4torque like this.
  10. Kent Adams

Kent Adams Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 11, 2020
    That's fine, but has little to do with the subject of my post. I'm just looking at it based on what seemed to be discussion around which was the better investment back in 2013.

11. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    The problem w excessive value creep — owners get too scared to drive them.

cs mainly sit under a cover
    Gated 430’s heading that way
    I hate to see the gated 360 go in that direction! Use it enjoy it! As they continue to appreciate I’m just happy I might recover my capex or more if I ever sell.

G. Pepper likes this.
  12. ItalGerBrit

ItalGerBrit Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    $50K? What year did you buy? Was it very rough or very high miles or maybe an off color?

13. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Mwuhahhaha! Rosso.. Nero interior… with SPORT SEATS and manual transmission! High miles euro car

oh and it was UNDER $50k

one4torque likes this.
  14. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    VR - winning!

even if we are driving the inferior outdated tech gated 360 :)

15. ItalGerBrit

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    One Hell of a deal and give me our outdated tech cheap 360 three-pedal cars and keep the "high" tech flippy paddle cars.

16. WillskiGT

WillskiGT Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 12, 2017
    Use 'em!

Mine will be on the market in a few months. Hopefully to move up to a gated 430. Flappy paddles are great and all, but there is nothing like nailing a heel-toe downshift while braking down into a hairpin.

one4torque, ItalGerBrit and vrsurgeon like this.
  17. ItalGerBrit

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    And with our low-tech cars we spend our time driving where we want to drive instead of to and from mechanics to fix the flippy paddle or flippy top. Should have not said that. Bad Ferrari spirits might shift attention from flippy paddles to my clutch.

18. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    I cringe when I'm at a car show and I hear XYZ car owner claim exuberantly "I have a blah blah blah with only 5000 miles!"..... the crowd goes ohh and awww!
    I declare it art.

rant over..... I guess if it's f car 5 ..... it can be art. ;)

G. Pepper likes this.
  19. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I came into being a Ferrari owner from the BMW motorcycle culture. There, everyone brags about how MANY miles they have on their bikes, not how few. So I just applied that attitude to Ferrari ownership. I have over 35K touring and driving miles between the three Ferraris I've owned. Three vacations have been over 4K miles. The longest - San Antonio to the head of US 101 in Washington, all down the coast to California 1 and Los Angeles, and back to San Antonio - was 5,555 miles, driveway to driveway. And that was in a 360! I was not uncomfortable. The little thing fits me like a glove. :D

My old 456M at the Very Large Array radio telescope in New Mexico.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Same car on the Blue Ridge Parkway, on the other coast of the US. I got the original wheels for a smoother ride! :)
    The 456M at the Circuit of the Americas. The automatic with just go and slow pedals was actually very easy and fun!
    The 360 sunroof/stick near Palo Duro Canyon, Texas.
    Same car on California 1.
    I buy them to drive them. Wouldn't have any issues with putting 50K miles on an F-50. :D

20. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Musicians cringe at vintage guitar collectors who can’t play or don’t use the tools of their trade and just sit on them hoping to time them market…. Little precious lost ark items.

I see a parallel to car collecting.

but what do I know.

gp - I bet that 360 trip to pnw was epic! I imagine your car did not go to anti matter after such a distance!

G. Pepper likes this.
  21. LWR550

LWR550 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    East Sussex
    In the last 10 years, no-one ever says "manual" Ferrari any more. They all say "gated". Why is that??? Can we go back to "manual", please? Drives me nuts :)

RedTaxi likes this.
  22. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    It was! The 360 was as reliable as my '69 Beetle was! LOL! :D

I'm a guitarist, and I used to have a pair of '59 Gibson jazz guitars, an L5 and a Byrdland. Both tobacco burst and not too many serial numbers apart. Almost nobody cared about classic jazz guitars at that time, so they were easily attainable. Now almost nobody can afford the luxury of enjoying these guitars. But they are being protected and restored as never before, so oh well. Just feel super fortunate to have owned and enjoyed those guitars. Old guitars are real life time machines! They really take a player back.

one4torque likes this.
  23. Tony91505

Tony91505 Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2005
    So cal
    Full Name:
    Tony

Well, as someone who bought my 360 spider with 300 miles and a few months old in 2004 for 230K I find the “what if” suppositions humorous. In 2005 the 430 was a 300 k car, unless of course you were in the loop after buying many cars and kissed the dealers butt, then msrp would come into play. Heck, when the 360 spider was first made available, they were fetching 300k. I still remember people on this site wondering which is a better buy between CGT and the 430 spider as prices were close if not in parity! So, Yes, the 430 has lost a lot of value and more so if u account for inflation.

24. Some Guy in the sky

Some Guy in the sky Formula Junior

Sep 19, 2018
    I actually had an early early 1986 Paul Reed Smith custom 24 that was a beautiful translucent blue that had faded wonderfully over time with the birds inlays in the neck. This guitar was incredible in all respects. That is except for the fact that there was absolutely no soul to the sound and I eventually sold it. Sometimes the reason a vintage instrument is in amazing condition and spent 20, 30, 40 or 50 years under a bed is because it sounds like crap. I would assume this is the same for some cars.

one4torque and G. Pepper like this.
  25. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Financial instruments are soul less.