Pista Exhaust Upgrade | Page 22 | FerrariChat

Pista Exhaust Upgrade

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by dustman, Aug 13, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RobertM

RobertM Formula 3

Apr 17, 2005
    Weston, Florida
    Full Name:
    Robert M
    interested in this thread and waiting to hear some sound clips

2. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Doesn’t need ceramic coating at this stage tbh. They’re gonna coat over the shields? They’re gonna ruin the look.

Who did the shielding work btw?

3. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    I had the Inconel valved design from Novitec with their heat shielding, and it was honestly a joke. Was a clear reminder for me that Novitec makes parts for aesthetics and street recreation, not for anything actually expected to perform. After that experience, I would prefer to pull all stops to make sure that muffler cavity stays nice and cool, esp with the Pista having zero airflow and vents for exhaust heat to escape.

Exhaust shielding was done by SST [same people doing F1 exhaust shielding for some teams where bodywork lives nearly atop exhaust manifolds].

jerrym and ShineKen like this.
  4. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    These guys ?

https://www.sstubetechnology.com/integrated-heat-shields/

The shielding work looks good. Not many companies out there can do this type of work and all the good ones appear to be out in the UK. I’m having a full exhaust shielding work done by Larini and Thermo-Met. Good Fab is another good source in the UK.

Here’s TTForce’s new Scud Exhaust by Larini. Inconel shielded.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Gh21631, MANDALAY and SECRET like this.
  5. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    Yep that's right. A lot of places do seem to be in the UK for some reason. There is a quite a bit of motorsport development work based out there, so perhaps it's a good place where the work and testing is centralized.

Definitely post your system once you've got it completed. I'm interested to see and hear the results

BRE.Eddy and ShineKen like this.
  6. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
  7. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    Alright, I know some folks have been itching to hear it, but I got so excited driving it that I haven't had a chance to do much video. I can confirm it is *AWESOME.* Bear in mind, I had a 458 Speciale, and I do own a Lusso V12. The type of 'awesome' varies quite a bit between those cars, but the Pista now has it's own amazing identity and voice.

jerrym, mdrums, BRE.Eddy and 6 others like this.
  8. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    Looking forward to the write up. Things I want to know.

Does the X pipe change the pitch of the sound, as in is the tone higher in pitch?

Can you drive it without valves with the 200 cell in regards to drone and conversation level?

Do you “notice” any performance change losing the valves?

BRE.Eddy and Thecadster like this.
  9. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    I know, I know, I said I'd get a video this weekend, but I was just too excited at the Hypercar Invitational with no sound limit that I got way too distracted. Even got in ride along with Randy Probst in a Senna GTR for 3 hot laps!!!

The car is now at the shop to do some fluid flushes and potentially fresh tires. Once I get it back, I will be making videos for sure.

To answer questions while we wait for that:

Yes, most definitely. The sound with the Kline Inconel 200 cell downpipes + OEM muffler was VERY different than after I added the Brooke Inconel exhaust on there.

Yes, below 2500-2700 rpm, it's reasonably quiet. I don't recall exactly where things cross over, but I know that if you tend to cruise on the freeway at >>75mph, you will start to hear a slight drone. For me it was completely fine as the Speciale was WAYYY louder than that even with valves closed. On the Pista, the OEM valves closed sound level is a much lower sound level so the reference point is pretty quiet to start with. Do I miss the valves? Not really.

Not at all, but I have a tune on the car to zero out the CELs from the cats and to take advantage of the cats to boost mid range and top end power a little bit. I do not sense a loss in torque or any loss in the "NA" responsiveness.

Lagunae92 likes this.
  10. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    which tune did you get?

BRE.Eddy likes this.
  11. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    sooooo.....=)

Thecadster likes this.
  12. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    It's been a while since I've posted, not because the car hasn't been amazing, but because we had a little newborn join us not too long ago! We've been thrilled and while I do enjoy the search for the perfect sound for the Pista, some things needed to take priority!

That said, here's a quick update/refresher:

Current Setup
    · OEM Inconel Exhaust Manifolds + Turbos + Wastegates
    · *Added* Fabspeed O2 Spacers (45º) - Originally tried 90º ones and those don't fit. 45º ones work well so we're back to OEM tune
    · *Added* OEM ECU Tune - Back to OEM. No CEL so far, but it's early days.
    · Kline Inconel 200 Cell Cats - Been on the car for about 6 months now
    · Brooke Race X-Pipe Exhaust w/ F1 Heat Shielding - This is a dream exhaust guys. Eddy Brooke is awesome to work with as well
    Generally still very happy with the sound. It definitely has the right tone throughout the rev range. Only thing on my sound wishlist right now is getting a little bit more of that Pista idle back. The idle tone changed a little bit with the x-pipe, and I suspect that's going to be a tradeoff. The idle isn't unpleasant, but the Pista OEM exhaust has a very distinct idle that is very recognizable.

There's another owner in my area that has just the Brooke exhaust without the cats. I haven't heard the car in person though. I don't know his tag on here though.

MANDALAY, Thecadster, Bundy and 4 others like this.
  13. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    Congrats on the newborn!

I’d say trading off idle for driving tone is well
    worth it. It’s a unique setup, and we’d love to hear it. I have a non-valved Inconel Novitec on the way. Haven’t decided on cats yet…

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

SECRET likes this.
  14. jerrym

jerrym Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 4, 2007
    SF/BJ
    it me

SECRET likes this.
  15. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    What do you notice without doing cats? Much change?

16. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Congratulations on the baby !

Bundy likes this.
  17. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    #542 SECRET, Nov 17, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2021
    Thank you! Can't believe we're doing this all over again! I'm on a few hrs sleep a day, but it's a fun ride.

For the cats, be careful which ones you choose. Try to get the reseller to verify the diameter of the cat outlet and that the cats will be a slip fit with the OEM exhaust before you buy them [cat outlet should fit INSIDE the muffler inlet to minimize likelihood of leaks. Checking this will ensure you can mix and match that cats with anything you want. The Akrapovic cats (that I still have in my garage) worked with the Novitec muffler, but did not fit OEM. They seem to only fit Novitec and the Akrapovic exhaust. I still have not sold them!

Kline was the only plug and play ones I found at the time. I'm pretty sure Brooke ones are also OEM fit. I've been very happy with both brands and their support.

My shop also got the Fabspeed 45º O2 spacers to work, and we've had 4 successful drives in different times of day, weather conditions, and loading scenarios that seem to not trigger CELs. Crossing fingers!

Lastly, I forgot to list the heat shields I added, but I would highly suggest Zirotec Ziroflex Gold for your bumper and any parts that get near that exhaust. Get the self-adhered version. It's pretty stupid simple to put on while the bumper and diffuser are off the car, and it makes a huge difference.

Oops! Sorry @jerrym that's right! Low sleep for me = brain not functioning 100%!

Thank you!! We tried having the newborn in the Lusso, but the exhaust scared the **** out of her! My son still loves it though. We're going to order one of those new Taycan GTS Sport Turismos that just came out last night. I think that would arrive way sooner than a Purosangue would ever come. Pista is going to have to go into hibernation for the winter given how little time I have on my hands right now!

Bundy, jerrym, mrchaztsai and 2 others like this.
  18. jerrym

jerrym Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 4, 2007
    SF/BJ
    Compared to stock it is a noticeable difference. It’s not too loud and not too quiet, there is some drone on the highway in low rpm high gear.

Caeruleus11 and Lagunae92 like this.
  19. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    Is the actual sound different int he sense of tone, or how high the pitch is?

20. jerrym

jerrym Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 4, 2007
    SF/BJ
    yes it’s different.. It’s medium/high no rasp. I’ll make a video soon but videos never capture the true sound.

21. Plife

Plife Karting

Oct 6, 2021
    USA
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Congrats on the new bambino and the bespoke rear pipe! Question is why do you need spacers with 200 cell kline downpipes? Were those triggering dash lights?

22. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    Thanks Pete!

Confirmed. More recent recap of exhaust setups:

Setup #x - "OEM+, but No Dice" <-- if you read this thread, there are probably 3-4 different setups before this.
    Parts:
    · OEM Rear Muffler
    · OEM Tune -> Custom Tune
    · Kline 200 Cell Downpipes
    Install:
    · Install was a super sexy great fit. This is not always the case with other manufacturers when you try to mix and match things. Kline gear fit like a glove.​

Sound Verdict:
    · Meh. Lost all the Ferrari-designed/tuned resonances and tones with a fairly boring exhaust note​

Issues:
    · CEL within a few days. I was hopeful for no CEL at first but after some spirited driving, it popped up.
    · I tried to fit the Fabspeed O2 spacers (90º) at the time, but the installer [dealer] couldn't make them fit or work.
    · Gave up on that and went for a tune to kill the lamba sensor errors

Setup #x+1 - "F*** the Flap Regulation"
    Parts:
    · Custom Tune
    · Kline 200 Cell Downpipes
    · Brooke Race X-Pipe Exhaust w/ F1 Heat Shielding
    Install:
    · Since the Kline downpipes outlet is the exact same dimensions as OEM and the Brooke Race muffler inlet is the exact same dimension as OEM, there's no screwing around with adapters and fittings (like Novitec, Akrapovic, etc).
    · Install was easy breezy.​

Sound Verdict:
    · Yes!!! It sounds like it should have from the get go. Even a slight rev at standstill sounds FEROCIOUSLY FERRARI compared to the OEM setup!!​

Issues:
    · Tune that I used to kill the lamba errors came along with some other unnecessary power gain bits that started to trigger different codes under more spirited driving
    Final setup I have now is the one referenced above with the Fabspeed 45º O2 spacers.

Bundy, Plife and mdrums like this.
  23. Plife

Plife Karting

Oct 6, 2021
    USA
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Oh wow! That sucks about the cel. I had kline 200 cell on 4 different cars no pron but that would drive me nuts. Sorry to hear. I will check the thread in detail but all these testimonials are making me rethink messing with my f8. Im thinking bmc filter maybe a valve controller or the fabspeed baby muffler delete. If that

SECRET likes this.
  24. Kudos

Kudos Rookie

Jun 20, 2021
    Full Name:
    FC
    I recently installed the full Novitec Power Optimized Inconel Exhaust System with Flap Regulation, Novitec decat pipes and Novitec Switchtronic.

The cold start is ridiculously loud and am wondering is there way to code this out?
    The smell of fuel is also sometimes a bit much, thinking to go back to OE cats but then its sounds so brutal (in a good way) on the move that i fear just the rear Novitec inconel muffler with stock everything else may be a bit underwhelming?

Anyone figured this conundrum or have any thoughts on their own Novitec system?

25. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    Not to speak for him, but I know SECRET was underwhelmed with the Novitec valved exhaust on it's own. Maybe try HFCs? I have the non valved on order and will see if I need more at that point. No consideration for decat pipes.