Mang's Garage | Page 12 | FerrariChat

Mang's Garage

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by Mang, May 1, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    You need a torch or plasma cutter, saved 14.5 hours.

Love your Jeep!

NYC Fred and Mang like this.
  2. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    thanks, ya I hope not too obnoxious

funny you say that, my buddies wife visited and commented, ‘I really like your “steampunk” remodel style’. I had never heard that term. I like your ratrod analogy. I’m a big fan, these shots were from a gathering in Carson City years ago…
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

mcimino and JoeTSI like this.
  3. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    right? Could have, should have, on the door steel and that bumper. Being able to stay home and use my limited tools makes every project an engineering marvel :D

it’s a workout holding a spinning bench grinder in midair, it has gyro tendencies and weighs a **** ton. So many tedious hours doing stuff, but I dig it.

on the Jeep, I’ve evaluated so far anyway, that the rear will probably benefit the most with just ‘bumperettes’ that mount left and right. I’m researching, but I’ve got a trailer hitch and license plate setup, and most importantly dual exhausts that end literally right under the bumper. I don’t think a plastic covered modern Jeep bumper would do good there. Probably melt or catch fire :eek:

4. Island Time

Island Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 18, 2004
    E. TN
    Full Name:
    David
    Nothing sold today has anything on these 75 year old Jeeps. (Except good heaters ;) )

Keep up the good work!

NYC Fred and Mang like this.
  5. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    agreed, they are the ****. Mine has the heater issue sorted, it’s a Toyota Land Cruiser version mounted under the passenger seat. I drove this rig as a daily, through winter a couple years, have owned it for 10 now. It’s comfortable in any conditions.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Island Time

Island Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 18, 2004
    E. TN
    Full Name:
    David
    Very cool! Just what the dr ordered.

Mang likes this.
  7. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    nice. I have a 69 land rover and the heater, when it works, is really only good for burning your passenger's shins. :)

8. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #283 Mang, Nov 18, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
    when it’s cold, like every day now for the next 6 months, having that heater is a godsend! It does the job. This build was really put together by a series of owners over the years. The owner before me tore out the entire electrical, and replaced carefully the system with a modern Painless set. His wife used it as a daily and he didn’t want her breaking down. It’s been solid for the decade I’ve owned it.

vincent355 likes this.
  9. simchanova

simchanova Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 3, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    …just popping in again Mike-incredible work!…Stunning property in such a gorgeous area!…I’m going to be skiing in Tahoe toward the end of March and possibly another time earlier and will plan a visit to the Mang pad!-Happy Thanksgiving and thank you for posting the fabulous work!,ciao,Stuart

Mang likes this.
  10. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    as always, you Stu and any fchatter bruhs are always welcome to stop by

11. simchanova

simchanova Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 3, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    Thanks Man!-

12. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    House projects mostly complete here for a while now, so I’ve been fully focused on further developing my Willys…got the bumperettes mounted on the rear and cleaned things up back there, went with the utilitarian effort on the rear, needed to account for exhaust, and towing setup, not interfere with anything bulky. Another detail on the wheels. I have always been a fan of these American Racing wheels as they were the early choice of Icon builds. They have these sweet dustcaps that have always been too small by just a bit. I tried gutting out the inside with dremel, drill, etc. cutting a line up through, but they taper narrow at the end anyway, so the problem wasn’t solvable…then it dawned on me that the taper meant that perhaps the narrowest tip might fit inside rather than outside. I cut 90% away and made flexing cuts in the sides and they now snap right in, are sprung in, so going nowhere, and look the shizzle.

also, shed is all cleaned out and ready to be garage for a new arrival project on Friday.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Jasonberkeley, BOKE and of2worlds like this.
  13. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Final final project on this 10 year owned Willys. I took a piece of ‘real’ diamond plate, thick, and using an angle grinder cut two custom pieces that will be attached along the side sills. Going to finish them in black attaching them with allen head screws. I’m planning to offer this build for sale at the completion. I’m already starting in on a CJ5 project…
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Jasonberkeley likes this.
  14. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Last project complete as far as my stewardship/vision for the Willys. I’ve listed it here in other cars. I love to tinker and the creative process. I have collected Willys/Jeep rare parts, canvas, wheel sets, etc for decades and love to transform these rigs through resto-mods.

I’m ready to focus on my new project…

15. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    Sorry. I missed you question on recommended HP when you first asked it. I can only see part of the boat, but it looks like it may be 14ft +/-? I would say a 40-60HP (usually made from the same block and displacement) 4-stroke would turn it into a rocket, while still being reasonably safe. Our "Merc" (40HP Suzuki short shaft) easily launches 4 people quickly onto plane. Suzuki used the same displacement for 40/50/60HP, which makes the 40 especially torquey....

Mang likes this.
  16. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    You guessed it, 14 ft. That’s helpful, thanks. With winter delayed, but expected, maybe I get to this in the next few? I’ll check back in when I get to searching with specific questions if you don’t mind?

17. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    Of course!

Mang likes this.
  18. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    Just strip the outboard nameplates and apply one of these...

https://outboarddecalset.com/outboard-decals/evinrude-decals.html

Mang likes this.
  19. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
  20. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    First wave of some BIG storms blew through last night. They are predicting another ‘atmospheric river’ starting Sunday. Prepping this weekend. After seeing what hit Hawaii this week, we could get slammed.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Texas Forever, Jasonberkeley and Data like this.
  21. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
  22. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    mcimino, Jasonberkeley and Penzinger like this.
  23. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    Looks beautiful Mang!!!

Mang likes this.
  24. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Really strange winter here. After that December wallop, we didn’t get snow January, February, or March. I’ve been busy landscaping for months already this ‘season’. Project the past few days…I gave a big dead eyesore tree trunk a judo style kick and it crashed down into my house. I had to wrestle and drag it all the way around the back of the house, then shed, and it’s now in a pile going to the dump soon. I also used that other giant bolt contraption as a prop for the next level gabion cage. Good to have those bolstered. I counter sunk holes in the cedar siding and propped the other end into the cage with a wood brace. I’ve been farming the largest boulders I can maneuver and dumping them down into the corner there. I’m going to start soon a boulder wall, using the gabion cages and rock to make a stairway up also.

Attached Files:

mcimino and of2worlds like this.
  25. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #300 Mang, May 1, 2022
    Last edited: May 1, 2022
    Spent the morning moving 5-6 giant ass boulders (for one old man to move) using steep grade, a pry bar…got them to cliffs edge - down below I built a protective wall of good size boulders to keep from knocking my house down - and I let them rip. Next task is to move them into position as the base (and stairs) for the dry stack wall that is coming. The roots in the photo down below are both ‘live’ from pine trees at top of cliff. I’m trying to come up with cool use of them as they are strong and create opportunities- they also make great ‘anchors’ for the rock wall I’m going to build up from below. Gonna take a ship ton of rocks to make the tall wall I plan for that grade.

of2worlds likes this.