The Guikas collection auction with major Ferraris 19 November 2021 | FerrariChat

The Guikas collection auction with major Ferraris 19 November 2021

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by Nembo1777, Nov 17, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Amazed no one has started a thread on this.

Long time leading dealer Jean Guikas is reducing his south of France stock and collection(from 160 plus cars) to consolidate. RM Sotheby's catalog link below with 20 Ferraris including major ones and many more interesting cars beyond Ferrari with very attractive Maseratis, Bizzarrinis etc. What is interesting is that no reserve pricing has not been very popular in Europe whereas this entire auction is no reserve so the prices will be market revelators in a number of cases though not all.

https://rmsothebys.com/en/home/lots/jg21

See also this article for background:

https://www.classicdriver.com/en/article/sponsored-content/world-your-oyster-collection-finest-road-and-race-cars

2. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I know it's not loved but i love the BBB LM.

3. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    It's crazy that, 2 years ago or so a 575 GTC was hard to sell at $750k and now it's a 3m Eur car.

Natkingcolebasket69 and ryalex like this.
  4. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    I was at Le Mans the last year it raced and chatted in a basic way with Violati and his engineer (I did not speak Italian then), it was quite a sight, like a fish, pity it could not realize its potential. The French Enzo magazine has a good article about it.

5. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    It was one of my favorite when i was a kid and i used to read the "Ferrari au Mans" book. Never seen it in person though. Hopefully it's picked up by someone in the US.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Yep I have that book, very useful, met the author Twenty plus years ago as I was a freelance for Auto Passion and visited the offices where he was full time. I went to Le Mans every year back then to see the BBLM's and watching Pozzi's win the class with Andruet Ballot Léna in 81 was special. I loved the Violati entry of 1980 -a different chassis from the rebodied one- but that one was damaged within 30 minutes of the start....

7. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Truthfully I’m surprised more of the later race cars aren’t worth significantly more than they had/are bringing. They represent the end of an era in many ways, and I can’t help but think the “they were just old race cars” stories of the 60s and 70s will be told about these later cars too.

8. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Yes, i agree. The 550/575, MC12 GT1, 458 GT2, 430 GT and 360 NGT are all amazing race cars that will probably be worth a lot of money soon (if not already, i havent checked the market for them other than the 550-575). I think the main difference with the old race cars is that you cant drive them on the road at all vs a Daytona Comp or a SWB Comp or even a 512S/M and the team you need to run them is bigger and more qualified. But for sure a 360N GT for $300k is (was?) a bargain!

9. NunoRosso

NunoRosso Karting

Dec 10, 2007
    Portugal
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Then again, most of these later race cars never achieved the results achieved by their ancestors - at least regarding to Ferrari.

An honourable exception might be the 333SP 019 which won Sebring and Daytona and was relatively cheap at $3.5M-$4.5M some 8 years ago.

Regarding the Guikas collection, I'll be the first to admit I'm wrong but most of the estimates seem inflated - while I recognize their historical significance and/or rarity (specially the A442), most of the race cars had DNFs where it mattered the most. Guess we'll find out tomorrow.

10. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    The beautiful Frua Quattroporte 2 has just been bought by a major Belgian collector. It is one of two, some say three, made. The Ghibli Spyder is important as that will be a price point for several other possible private sales.
    The Bizzarrinis/Isos are also very enticing, let's see how they do.

simpen and readplays like this.
  11. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    Why RM claims in the catalogue that 0385/GT was displayed at 1955 Turin Show ?

« Upon its completion, and wearing its original Argento livery, the car was displayed at the 1955 Turin Motor Show. »

Never seen a pic !! o_O

12. Prancing 12

Prancing 12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2004
    The long way home
    I know the market is always right, but when you look at the sale prices relative to the estimates... what a disaster.

amenasce and wbaeumer like this.
  13. -K1-

-K1- Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2008
    Northern Italy
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Wow that 275 short nose. What a beauty and very good buying I would have thought. The 206 too. I wonder if these will reappear at Tom Hartley Jr or Talacrest in a few weeks time.

14. 275gtb6c

275gtb6c Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2006
    europe
    Full Name:
    oscar
    Well it is actually above the market price (a 275 short nose is about 1.8-2.1 m euro). The 206 was with many wrong details.

ciao
    Oscar

15. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Ignore estimates, they are wishful thinking written in all auctions.

turbo-joe likes this.
  16. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Apparently everything, every car and parts lot sold and the prices look very good to me. I have zero involvement but find the prices to be what they should. Great results for a healthy market.

17. -CD-

-CD- F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2005
    near the Nürburgring
    Full Name:
    Christian
    287K Euro 320K USD for a repainted Monospecchio with duplicate Service book isn‘t a normal price
    and much more a skyrocketed crazy price… :)

turbo-joe likes this.
  18. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    If you say so, that is not a car I paid any attention to.

375+ likes this.
  19. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    The PF cab S1 was "cheap" no?

20. Prancing 12

Prancing 12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2004
    The long way home
    That's what I was thinking. One can "ignore the estimates" all they want, but it seems like several of the cars sold cheap.

I'm not sure why a seller would choose a no reserve sale. I know the auction companies argue NR encourages bidding (of course they'd say that), but that rarely seems to be the case, and in fact, disappointing results seem more common. If a seller decides they really just "want it gone", they can always choose to lift the reserve price, but at least then maintain some level of control over the price they receive.

21. -K1-

-K1- Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2008
    Northern Italy
    Full Name:
    Ken
    John Collins seems to have been the winning buyer so you expect the price was good.

22. etienne

etienne F1 Veteran

Jan 21, 2006
    Ferrari World...

Attached Files:

23. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Thanks for the excellent photos.

Marcel Massini

fredenzo123 and readplays like this.
  24. jaisharma

jaisharma Karting

Aug 4, 2011
    South east, UK
    Full Name:
    Jai Sharma
    I was there. The price for that car was a big surprise to me. It looked lovely but 50k km or so and went for probably double what I expected.
    Quite a few of the prices were well below the estimates but the estimates were generally quite optimistic in my view.

25. Enzo Anselmo Ferrari

Enzo Anselmo Ferrari Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    France
    Merci Etienne pour ces magnifiques photos! :D