Damaged 1990 Passenger Mirror - Need advice | FerrariChat

Damaged 1990 Passenger Mirror - Need advice

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by HBD, Nov 17, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. HBD

HBD Rookie

Nov 17, 2021
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    SCT
    Hey Guys,

Finally got my car picked up and on it's way out. Looks like the carrier tried to fold the mirror in during transport and he claims it broke in his arms. I stopped by local F dealership today, and they couldn't find any diagrams for me. But a gentleman behind me that runs an indy def said the mirror is broken, and i'd need a full replacement mirror.

Looking for some advice from you guys. The driver claims it broke off in his hand as he was folding it in. He claims though that the bolt that came out of it is too short to fit back in.

Is this repairable? Do I need a new complete mirror assembly? Here's a pic of the damage and the bolt he claims came out.

I can't tell if that's a gash on the end of the mirror or just reflection.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 66MK

66MK Karting

Nov 1, 2020
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Mine is a mono, so not the same as yours, but it doesn’t fold. At all!!

Jakuzzi likes this.
  3. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime Formula Junior

May 10, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Driver admitted he tried to fold a non-folding mirror?

66MK likes this.
  4. HBD

HBD Rookie

Nov 17, 2021
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    SCT
    So, he admitted he tried to fold it. But that’s another question, are they suppose to fold?

First car out of about a dozen I’ve had intercity damage. I think they’ll take responsibility, but I haven’t seen the car yet.

5. HBD

HBD Rookie

Nov 17, 2021
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    SCT

Technically, mine is a mono now too

6. Zeff

Zeff Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2018
    Cupertino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I’d make them pay for a new mirror. The idiot should have been careful with your car. I would want it perfect like before

alpinadvl and HBD like this.
  7. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Agree with Zeff. Its bad enough that he put that much pressure on it to even do this.

HBD likes this.
  8. HBD

HBD Rookie

Nov 17, 2021
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    SCT
    Does anyone know if the hardware in the photo looks factory? Would be surprised to see 2 washers

9. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    Looks like the OEM hardware used on my 91 passenger side mirror. They don't fold.

10. HBD

HBD Rookie

Nov 17, 2021
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    SCT
    George Vosburgh likes this.
  11. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    Hmmm. I always learn something new from this site. Maybe my TR mirrors should fold…

I suspect I have never pushed on them hard enough to find out.

12. versamil

versamil Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2013
    Gaston, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Brian Healy
    So what exactly happened to your mirror.? Did the bolt come out of the door. They definitely are designed to fold. I probably have all the hardware for a passenger mirror in a parts car, but i think the mirror has heat damage.

13. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I have heard TR mirrors fold for many years. I have never actually seen a folded mirror though. I don't think my near 30 year old rubber would take very kindly to it

14. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I stored my competiton for the wintertime and covered it and folded the mirrors without any problem, year 87

Auraraptor likes this.
  15. kartboy1234

kartboy1234 Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    My 87 has folding mirrors.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

16. HBD

HBD Rookie

Nov 17, 2021
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    SCT

The bolt that holds the mirror at the pivot where it folds popped out somehow. Was easier to pull the whole mirror off to get it back together.

George Vosburgh likes this.
  17. HBD

HBD Rookie

Nov 17, 2021
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    SCT
    how hard would it be to get access to that mirror? I think I’m missing the rubber gasket. With the bolt back in it doesn’t want to fold. So I think the hardware isn’t correct and I’m missing something.
    I’d be looking for what is located where the pivot point is.

18. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    My 87 mirrors fold. fact.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  19. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

So do my 1990

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. versamil

versamil Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2013
    Gaston, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Brian Healy
    I'll take a look at what I have. the REAR of my car was in a fire and even the passenger door suffered. BUT the mirror is still attached, so the hardware is there. I have the door panel off, so the mirror should be easy.

21. V4NG0

V4NG0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Charles Edward Cheese
    If you have the leather strap that holds down the spare tire and/or a set of beige floor mats to part out, I’d be interested in those.

22. versamil

versamil Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2013
    Gaston, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Brian Healy
    I just unbolted the mirror from the door, and I see the bolt the mirror pivots on. A phillips head screw. The rubber surround that covers this bolt is stiff on ALL of my Testarossas. The rubber boot doesn't really like to bend. The mirror I took off, rotates pretty easily without the boot in place. My boot was damaged slightly in the fire so is NOT usable. So it looks like you need to know what the actual pivot bolt hardware is. Mine works great so it's a nice car to at least get information on. I'll pull it apart and see what actually makes the pivot work. The fire was hot enough even this far forward, the motor in the mirror is somewhat melted. The actual mirror housing could probably be used with some work. Fires are devastating for cars.

V4NGO, my floor mats are completely unusable. I'll look at the leather strap. The front trunk area of this car was in perfect shape. All the books, tools and jack kit were like new. I was stunned when I saw these were in the trunk.

23. versamil

versamil Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2013
    Gaston, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Brian Healy
    The mirror pivot is a phillips screw that sits on top of a cupped washer that surrounds a pretty heavy spring that's roughly 3/4 inches long.
    Your hardware is all wrong. Your pivot looks damaged. If I was twenty years old, I'd KNOW how to take a picture and post it .
    Must be easy to do, but I haven't figured it out yet.

The mirror pivots and is located by three slots that engage each other, to locate the mirror either IN or out. I can easily take a picture with my phone and send it to you.

24. V4NG0

V4NG0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Charles Edward Cheese
    That's a shame about the floor mats but good fortune regarding the rest. I have the books, tools, jack etc with my car, but am missing the tow hook if you have that as well and are willing to part with it.

25. versamil

versamil Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2013
    Gaston, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Brian Healy
    Your first picture showing the mirror bracket on the car, shows the pivot all shiny, like the mirror has been loose and rattling a long time.
    My bracket only has three points where the paint is gone, right on top of the three protrusions that actually locate the mirror. The bracket is entirely body color.
    Yours clearly had issues for awhile. The fit of the mirror over the bracket is pretty snug, with very little "wiggle" to it. The tube coming out of the mirror that engages this bracket is just a bit over 7/16ths inch in diameter, and around 3/4 inch long. Without the spring and washer, the hardware you have for your mirror, wouldn't even tighten it up at all. Something is broken. When the mirror is engaged with the mounting bracket, the tube projects out almost 3/8ths of an inch. Without a spring in there, if the mirror isn't broken, the bolt wouldn't be able to tighten the mirror.