Are EVs without sounds/symphonies (from chips) truly the future? | FerrariChat

Are EVs without sounds/symphonies (from chips) truly the future?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Sunshine1, Nov 18, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sunshine1

Sunshine1 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2011
    Miami
    EVs are coming, not what I want but they are coming, although I believe our United States will see people driving ICE models for many many years to come (used models). I feel it’s like wearing a mechanical watch and being forced to wear a quartz watch.

Something that bothers me a lot, well that actually bothers a lot of car enthusiasts I talk to: no more sounds, no more symphonies coming from EVs, even if these sounds were created by chips that follow what the driver is doing (accelerations, speed, …).

Is it truly the future, a world without these pleasures? Will brands like Ferrari and others be without symphonies anymore? Do you believe they will create sounds (computer) for car enthusiasts?

Do you truly want to drive without a beautiful engine/battery sound? What can be done to prevent that from happening from brands such as Ferrari (petitions, …)?

paulchua likes this.
  2. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    There are a lot of sounds in an EV, I think soon we are going to see more interesting sounds coming from more interesting parts

Humans are analog beings so we'll figure out a way to romanticize everything

technom3 and paulchua like this.
  3. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #3 paulchua, Nov 18, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
    EVs have sound, just different. Throw in artificial and you can have any sound you like.

I know, but I once thought Diet Coke and Esports wouldn’t go anywhere either.

Quite frankly, 95% of folks roll their eyes when folks 'rev' an ICE in the city. Some rare exceptions and contexts, perhaps South Beach at midnight or the Vegas Strip. The freeway is another place where I've found ICE has no equal.

Ask yourself if what I say is not true?

A Tron/Star Trek sound I've found actually is what garners the 'oohhs' to that same 95% cohort - everywhere. I've seen it countless times. It simply doesn't offend and draws appreciation instead of consternation.

Most of the world has long moved on to being impressed by Mad Max, they now prefer Dune.

To an ICE enthusiast, rejoice - more for us. I never got mad when music went digital, nobody seized or made my vinyl or tube amps illegal. Apple Watch doesn't prevent me from buying a Richard Mille.

If it really bugs you, today's world has many options for a resto-resto-mod. Throw an elephant crate into a Model S if that's your thing.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  4. Tony91505

Tony91505 Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2005
    So cal
    Full Name:
    Tony

EVs are not coming, as they have already been around for some time. Research shows one is 5 times more likely to buy one after driving one. From my experience a Tesla can make any sound you want and even omit fart sounds from the horn or interior seats! A feature you will never find in a Mercedes. Tesla makes some sound at low speeds to warn pedestrians and such, but the active noise cancelling as well as active road noise canceling are the latest features coming thru the air updates as we speak. That leads me to believe they are going to be void of sound by design.

5. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    It's not the future. At best it's a PC stop gap.

AtomicPunk88 and Shark01 like this.
  6. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    These EV cars like the Tesla Model X we had in the other day. When you put the car in reverse it made that old "war of the world's" UFO sound from the 50's. Brought a smile to my face.

Got into one to bring it in..and the car farted when I sat in the seat..that was pretty funny too. There are so many thing that can be done with these things.

I'll bet even a synthetic engine sound could be made to appease the driver, but be completely silent on the outside. Rev all you want..upshift down shift etc..get all the noise and effect without makeing yourself look like a butt head to everybody else. It can be done..and it will be done.

Can you imagine being able to select the sound you wanted that day? Ferrari v12 F1 car, muscle car, jet..what ever. And it would be so good you wouldn't even mind. They do it in the movies all the time..

Give it a chance folks. They will make it work.

7. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    I’d rather have it be silent.

Fake is fake.

Booker, jm2, gliazzurri and 2 others like this.
  8. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    I have been using macs for more than a decade now???

tbakowsky likes this.
  9. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Doubt it..if given the choice between having engine sounds or never hearing it again while you drive..I'm betting you would pick engine sounds.

10. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    I actually love the relative silence of my Taycan. It’s amazing, but then again I have 2 6.0l V-12’s that make up for the silence. :)

11. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    I honestly wouldn’t.

I would just enjoy the EV for what it is. IMO the artificial sound is like wearing a fake Rolex or getting calf implants instead of working out. It’s a personal thing.

Of course that’s after they pry my ICE engine from my cold dead hands! :) Unless they outlaw my cars I’m driving them or I’ll get a vintage Ducati and bomb around at night like an outlaw.

gliazzurri likes this.
  12. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    The government works for you, not the other way 'round, vote!

13. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Not really..

14. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Do electrical/battery fires crackle and pop like the cozy ones we made camping?
    LOL

15. Dave Bertrand

Dave Bertrand Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    They may ban the sale of new ICE cars, but they are not going to order people to permanently park their existing ones. There are over 250 million ICE cars in the U.S., many of them close to new, and they will continue to be used until they turn to dust. The government may tax gasoline to the sky in order to encourage most people to switch to EVs, but they aren't going to outlaw the use of ICE cars as of a date certain. It will be a gradual transition away from them, and I will drive them until I turn to dust too.

HotShoe likes this.
  16. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    USA, not Canada...sorry

17. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    I wouldn't know usually the toxic fumes get me high enough

18. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 11, 2014
    United Kingdom
    By law all EV's should be made to sound like this...........

BJK and willrace like this.
  19. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    LMAO - That made my morning.

Tackleberry likes this.
  20. Booker

Booker Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Miami 2018

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker
    My experience was 'oh, I see how people would like this, but feels like a golf cart.' so I was less likely to buy one even tho I understand why the average person likes them

21. Sunshine1

Sunshine1 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2011
    Miami
    Well said!